Ravensthorpe to Esperence

John York

Ive been tinkering with the water again.  Trying to make it look more tropical.  But this was really nice farmland to fly over too.  Hence the mixture;

Flight checks almost complete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think FSWC helps to make the water look more 'watery' with its shiny settings

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Parked at Esperence but there's nothing here, or am I missing something?

Posted Image

John

Thank you ImageShack - faultless after a shaky start!

I can confirm there is nothing at Esperance currently in FSX. There isn't much in real life, just a small terminal that looks like a house. I thought about doing it but I never had the time. The main thing about Esperance would be the enhance the scenery around the coastline, it's one of the most beautiful one I've ever seen, especially around Lucky Bay, amazing place!

YESP is a default airfield in MSFS and is very much only the runways and taxyways.  The airfield is 23 Kms north of the Town of Esperance which is on the coast and is a very beautiful little town. In 2006 its population was just over 14,000

Here is some more...

I don't know how to insert HTML so here is a Google Street view link of the Esperance township...  Hope it works...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-33.877132,121.890478&spn=0,359.969444&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=-33.877054,121.890409&panoid=BAN29UVZbhhOgABWJTdX-Q&cbp=12,354.7566814247605,,0,-2.958716046233734

...and here is the airfield...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=-33.682346,121.831411&panoid=PQbPa7LKBAlGw7U8Y0UDjQ&cbp=11,246.2957905079759,,0,2.758620689655176&ll=-33.682354,121.831341&spn=0.04471,0.179214&z=13

The first time I flew down there in a Skywest JS31 we had to orbit the airfield while a guy on the ground drove up and down the strip to chase the roos away  :D

Just take a drive  :D

Thanks for your comments fellers.  I'll be flying out of Esperence on the next leg Chris, so I'll have to see what's there in the sim.  As you say, Google shows it quite well.  As for the airports, I don't bother to check if they're OZx, FTX or default.  I just go there.  So much the better if they are the modelled ones of course. 

The lucky thing about Australia and FTX is you never need 'flattens' wherever you fly to.  In England and Wales with the photo scenery installed, originally you had to go to the few airports that were on flat ground and coincided with the defaults.  The majority had horrible cliffs and plateus' surrounding them, messing up the experience completely.  However, that problem has been resolved as the two Countries now have virtually complete coverage with custom made airports, copying the original in most cases, and of course, with the necessary 'flattens'.

One thing I have yet to see is a 'roo.  You reminded me Chris.  I'm not at all sure if there are any in the FTX scenery.  The scarcety of birds leads me to think probably not.  I like to see a bit of wildlife even if its the domestic variety like sheep and cows.  I suppose you Aussies have a different view of them, but I really like 'Roos.  They seem to me to be such incongruous beasts somewhere between a large rat and a rabbit, and I've no knowledge of them really but they appear to be quite placid in nature.  Does anyone keep them as pets?

Glad you like the pics.  I do a lot of photography and oil paint but the only thing I really do (or I should say have done) creatively is write, but unfortunately for the last year or so I've run out of inspiration.  I suppose that's why I write these long boring messages to you lot!

Best to you all.

John

Please keep your stories comming John, I am really enjoying your flight.  I have done it in the sim a number of times, but it's always great to get another perspective of it.

Australia is a fascinating country to travel over, whether it's by aircraft, car, bus, train or bicycle, there are so many contrasts and I have to say, Orbx has captured so much of it and so well.

Cheers and all the best with your continuing journey of exploration.

Truly amazing days of high tech...thanks John for the great screenshots, and you Maxter for posting those incredible Google pics of the actual place!  Who knows, maybe it will inspire Mark Lee and other talented team members to create it in a future version of OZx for our beautiful FTX world! ;)

Archived