Help save a DC-3, they may goes as scrap metal !

Aceshigh

Some may know that Peter Starr of Discovery Air tours (DNA) are not in business anymore and many of his DC-3 fleet are stored at the Australian Aviation Museum- Bankstown airport.  One is too stay as a static display for the Museum while the others are going up for auction at Port Macquarie - 25th March.

I'm told there is NO reserve price.  Being a charity run by volunteers the Museum cannot afford to save them. At least three DC-3's may be auctioned

off as scrap metal ! 

Thats right, three historic DC-3s cut up as scrap metal.  To terrible to think about it but thats what may happen.  One of them is a D-day veteran. 

I hope other Museums and historic aircraft fans will buy them.

If anyone here can spread the word to help save them please do so....    I would hate to see them go to a scrap metal yard to be chopped up for their metal value.   

It's not looking good for them.   As a historic aircraft fan I find this news most upsetting that a piece of history can be chopped up for scrap metal.

...  if anyone can help.   Please spread the word.   This must not happen.  They need to go to a Museum, a collector  or to be put back into the air.

thanks.

Mark

Some may know that Peter Starr of Discovery Air tours (DNA) are not in business anymore and many of his DC-3 fleet are stored at the Australian Aviation Museum- Bankstown airport.  One is too stay as a static display for the Museum while the others are going up for auction at Port Macquarie - 25th March.

I'm told there is NO reserve price.  Being a charity run by volunteers the Museum cannot afford to save them. At least three DC-3's may be auctioned

off as scrap metal ! 

Thats right, three historic DC-3s cut up as scrap metal.  To terrible to think about it but thats what may happen.  One of them is a D-day veteran. 

I hope other Museums and historic aircraft fans will buy them.

If anyone here can spread the word to help save them please do so....    I would hate to see them go to a scrap metal yard to be chopped up for their metal value.   

It's not looking good for them.   As a historic aircraft fan I find this news most upsetting that a piece of history can be chopped up for scrap metal.

...  if anyone can help.   Please spread the word.   This must not happen.  They need to go to a Museum, a collector  or to be put back into the air.

thanks.

Mark

Send your message to David Lowy at the Temora Air Museum. I'd like to see another  biscuit bomber at the museum in flying condition.

Dont like the sound of this. Surely some kind of arrangement or organisation created for the occasion ,can be done with current owners.  Maybe ,as suggested , a museum with a donation program ?    It would be tragic to see them sent to the knackers yard.

I'm sending out as many emails as possible.    Including to the Newspapers..  I hope they find it news worthy.

I and so many others feel helpless and frustrated that this may be the fate of so many lovley old "legends" of the sky.

Mark.

I hope they don't go to scrap!! Love the DC-3 wouldn't like to see them go  :'( 

hope fully a museum will take em!!  ;D  Is defiantly worthy news! I have always wanted to go up in one! and hope i can sooner or later! so i hope they go to somewhere good!!  ;)8)

hope fully a museum will take em!!  ;D  Is defiantly worthy news! I have always wanted to go up in one! and hope i can sooner or later! so i hope they go to somewhere good!!  ;)8)

The problem with Air Museums in Australia is they get little or no help from local, state or federal goverment.

Most are run on very little finances. They are often maintained by volunteers and rely on the entry fee or donations to stay open.

So there is not many Museums that can afford to bid on them in the auction.

I know the owner has a right to sell them for what ever he can get for them but to allow them to be sold to a scrap metal yard is so sad..  they are history that cannot be broght back once lost.

:(

Yes mate these old birds need saving for future generations so the young folks as well as us old folks can still see them. Its a shame when as allways it boils down to having no money left in the pot and then the last resort is off to be scrapped, It would be nice to think the Government would step in to save what is a Historic old girl but as usuel its down to the normal person on the street to try and save these pieces of History. Its the same here in England im sorry to say and like the slogan when its gone its gone, And its to late then.

cheers

Iain.

Looks like a worthy cause, I wonder if there will be much in the way of Corporate support in these difficult times... I have fond memories of my DC3 flights as a kid and also during my early Air Training Corps days out of YPEA...

Cheers and good luck with it,

I really hope they get saved.  :(  They are complete DC-3s so to just scrap them is tragic as well. I wonder if there would be any international interest, especially for the D-Day Veteran (Can you share any further info on this one?)

This is disconcerting news...I sure hope something is figured out. DC-3's are near and dear to my heart. I have spent the majority of my U.S. Army career in the 101st Airborne, and have been a Screaming Eagle veteran through three different conflicts. The D-Day history of the mighty DC-3 is ingrained in my heart and soul. I drive by one every time I drive to work, as there is one at the entrance to the airfield where I am stationed. It is still painted as they were for D-Day, so many years ago. My salute to these 'Gooney Birds' as I raise my glass.....Here's to the venerable DC-3!

Had my first flight in a DC3 in 1949 - believe it or not there was a railway line across the runway at Mascot (Kingsford Smith Apt Sydney) in those days, with red lights when a train was coming - It's sad to see these great machines sold off.

I was thinking of ways to put in a bid, but the Finance Manager can be tough sometimes, and said (with typical female logic)  " ...and besides, there's a cyclone on the way, and it's too big to keep in the bedroom"  :(

Going on memory thery are  VH-DNA,  VH-SBL,  VH-MIN,  VH-UPQ,  VH-PWN  and  VH-BPN.   I know one is a D-day Vet as it has the tail for towing the gliders.  The others are still part of aviation history and cannot be allowed to be cut up or crushed. One is safe as it a gift to the Museum, the two flyers are DNA and SBL so they most likley will find buyers.    ( I hope)   .. .  that leaves three at high risk of being sold with NO reserve price for scrap metal. 

Any one want a cheap DC-3 ?    Im running out of people and ideas to email out to.

Mark

* Everytime one is opened at the Museum I walk up to the cockpit and look back imagining the paratroopers sitting along the walls, just boys going to war, nervous, some praying, othes giving support to a buddy.  Dark outside, roar of the engines, the sound of flak in the distance getting closer.

And here all these years later some people have the dam hyde to see them as just scrap metal for the taking...    $$$$$ against history.

Sad times we live in....

A couple of the old girls in better times.    ( Australian aviation Museum - Bankstown.)

Posted Image

The problem with Air Museums in Australia is they get little or no help from local, state or federal goverment.

Most are run on very little finances. They are often maintained by volunteers and rely on the entry fee or donations to stay open.

So there is not many Museums that can afford to bid on them in the auction.

I know the owner has a right to sell them for what ever he can get for them but to allow them to be sold to a scrap metal yard is so sad..   they are history that cannot be broght back once lost.

:(

David Lowy the owner of the Temora Aviation Museum is one of the Lowy family that own Westfield shopping centers - so not short of a quid !!

He is an avid aviator and Australian aerobatic champion some years back and has imported quite a number of aircraft that have been brought back to pristine flying condition. He has done a fantastic job in making this one of the best flying museums in the country. See the following site:

http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/

Cheers W

"Thats one Museum, and the owner is wealthy.    Most others struggle alone owned by no one person or group, run 100% by volunteers.  I sent an email to Temora with no reply as yet?      oh well I can at least keep trying."

I agree with you Aceshigh. There's little chance with others but a reasonable chance with Temora that's why I suggested them. I would also, send to the Editors of the UK magazines "Airplane Monthly" (email:aeroplane_monthly@ipcmedia.com) and  and "FlyPast" (Editors secretary email:flypast@keypublishing.com).

An interesting side bit is that its no longer permissible to carry airshow or general passengers on board a European DC3 thanks I believe to the boffins from Brussels making virtually impossible demands of safety equipment for the DC3. So there might be less interest in restoration now particularly with the economic conditions.

Re W

Just an idea.....  How about companies / airlines that used to operate them .  Maybe something for them to put at the front gates in their colours.  Not as good as finding a home that will fly them,  but....

Woza, Alan2...

Good ideas, I had forgot about the magazines & Airlines.       On it right now.   :)

PS:  LOL  - Oops... I just noticed the topics name spellling mistake:    Should read " Help save a DC-3, they may go as scrap metal !"  Not "goes" .

I must have been in a hurry.  LOL

Has anyone tried Wanaka Airport in New Zealand, they run the biggest warbirds airshow every two years and apparently it is huge.

I know they have a big museum there with flyable and non flyable pieces of history.

Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:  The aircraft all sold on the day but the owner (Peter Starr) had the right to reject any or all offers.  Some clause in the rules.

So he rejected all offers.    So they still sit at the Museum safe.    Most had been wanted by other Museums, historic airlines, only one buyer wanted them as beach houses with no wings.  One step up from being scrap metal I guess.   

So they hang in limbo.  Most volunteers at the Museum were NOT going to unlock the gates or help in any way to move them if they had been sold as scrap.  We were ready to fight to save these old girls.  The Television shows and Newspapers would have been called. The police sooner or later would have been needed..    that way the public would have known the full story of Australian aviation history being lost forever.

Mark.

Archived