An observation on FTX Central

aeronauta

Checking the Reports in P3D I noticed that it was for the FSX installation( FTX was reading the Version file from J:\Microsoft FlightSimulator10 instead of J:\Prepar3d V2 ) , looked at the Version files and both reflect the truth. The registry was showing the correct path for both sims.   funny I said , this will be fixed easy with the Libraries exe, so I started the P3D version of the libs and noticed that it was to be installed in J:\Microsoftflight simulator!!!, lucky me I noticed it, checked both J:\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\Scripts\FTXSettings.xml and  J:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts andboth indicated the registry as <FSXRegistryKey>SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0</FSXRegistryKey>, good explanation and pproblem solved.

The solution was to run the libs again P3D and FSX checking that the path was OK..

The problem occured in the first place as I had moved P3D, and subsequently used the libs, but I would say that in the Libs a simple check "if exist " P3D or FSX would avoid this problem, or to go to the registry to check for the path and not use it from the ftxsettings.xml.

Just for your info...

Jorge

Hi Jorge, the installer uses the registry info and doesn't use the FTXSettings.xml file to determine install path. Those xml files are used by FTX Central & Aero.

I've just checked the installer setup file and it contains the correct FTXSettings.xml file which reads: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<FTX_Settings>
<FSXRegistryKey>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2</FSXRegistryKey>
<FSXRegistryValue>SetupPath</FSXRegistryValue>
<SceneryCFGLocation>Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2</SceneryCFGLocation>
</FTX_Settings>

I understand your comment, that is why in my PC having the FTXsettings pointing to the other sim showed the other sim reports. The point is how the wrong path got into the ftxsettings.xml. and I think I found it , on a clean install of P3D I install the YPLC P3D version (assuming is a multi installer as it gives you the option and also appears as to be installed into FSX) into FSX. Immediately I try to install the P3D libs and the path shows J:|MicrosoftFlightSimulatorX. The FSXsettings.xml is OK though...but if I look at the P3D reports it shows FSX.

I also found that my confusion is that I have 3 versions of the YPLC, one at 26128KB the P3D download allows you to change the directory the other 26096 does not and forces P3D. and a dual FSX P3D v1 if you change the directory to FSX in the one that allows you the problem occurs...very starnge ,and hard to explain in writing...

In short I think that the installer that creates the problem is the original YPLC installer , I can reproduce it all the time,  install YPLC with the 26128 file  and select the FSC directory , somehow this directory is the used to install the latest libraries!!!!  figure that, not a general problem as the 26128 file is not available from ORBX.

The good thing is that it is fixed by reinstalling the same  26128 YPLC and select the P3D directory.

thankyou for responding Ed very interesting case.

Jorge

Archived