Winter Scenery

xxd09

I am normally a summer flyer and have no probs with my system. However feeling Winter coming on I turned to Winter Scenery. Mostly it worked around Bella Coola ,Stewart and Scotland-Sumburgh etc.

Moving to Fall City,Vashon Island etc the Winter Scenery worked all around except for the airport environs which remained beautifully green.Anything I can do to correct this? It may or may not be related but I notice the my alternative Photorealistic scenery has the same problem except there is no snow on the ground anywhere.

It does seem to be something to do with the Texture Layer or am I guessing?

Can anybody help?

Malcolm Beaton

Thanks for that Misha

Tried this but no joy.

Would it have any relevance to say that I might have for some Orbx airports (and Scenery) done a download and run without extracting first- slightly corrupting some files.

It seemed to work for me before I learnt better!

Perhaps there was a bgl without an l or a bgl that should have been a BGL or a bg that should have been a BG?

I remain a happy Summer Photorealistic Flyer and a Winter/Summer Orbx Flyer .

Malcolm

Could you attach a screenshot of one of the airports (ex. Fall City) in January? It should be snowy in January. As long as the photoreal area displays at some point during the year it should show snow during January as it is all controlled by the same BGL. 

I'm pretty sure Vashon island has an option in the control panel for that airport to change the season from Summer to Winter - may be more options than those two as well.

You can find the control panel in FTX central.

Hi Stufer-thanks for the heads up. This Winter And Summer variation is a feature of some airports and not others.

More planning before I fly!

Should Orbx insist on this feature on all their airport addons?

Would make life simpler for the simmers-one less thing to remember!

Malcolm

The seasonal control panel does not impact photoreal terrain and is actually due to be retired since all of its functions can be done with ObjectFlow now. All airports feature complete seasons which includes seasonal terrain and vegetation.

Back to the photoreal issue, I've never seen photoreal ground that refuses to change seasons. Something else to note is that the autogen on it is also not changing seasons. I'll have to think on this some more when I'm at my workstation again but for now try reinstalling Fall City. If that doesn't change anything perhaps your seasons.bgl in PNW is corrupt or not present, though that seems like a stretch.

Hi Malcolm,

are you sure that the screenshot of Fall City was taken during the month of January? As Alex mentioned it's the only month of the year the lowland airports of the Pacific Northwest have snow on the ground coded into their photoreal coverage.

FSX automatically switches the landclass ground textures to "hard winter" (= snow on the ground) whenever the current weather situation includes active snowfall, as in your screenshot, even if it's July. However, as Alex explained above, photoreal areas don't automatically switch as well, hence the green photoreal area surrounded by the hard winter landclass textures.

This difference in the handling of photoreal and landclass textures is hardcoded in FSX and the only way to avoid the discrepancy is to switch to January in that area whenever you choose to fly a weather situation with active snowfall.

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: More about how seasons work in PNW here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/18695-pnw-textures/?p=162697

Archived