Flickering Permanent shadow - Skagway Temsco Terminal SAK

Jethro VH-JET

Hi Guys,

Could you guys take a look at these pictures they were taken using FSX, DX9, EMB active/inactive, winter spring Summer & fall, they were taken in Skagway Temsco Terminal area just off the apron parking.

There is a shadow extending from this large concrete AC parking area with a jagged outline.

During the day it is just an outline but as the sun gets lower and heads for night, the shadow effect gets darker with lots of flickering. The textured ground in the immediate area does not have the same lighting effect as the surrounding texture.

I have checked to see if it has been mentioned before but has not, might this be something for a future SP.

Thank you guys the SAK region is truly beautiful, not many can imagine the effort that goes into making something this good. 

T0JMR.jpg

Wt6e.jpg

jKFuc.jpg

bxrnd.jpg

8i3xN.jpg

vFVaC.jpg

Hey, Jeff, thanks for the kind words and the report.  There will be a little bit of edge flickering, but I've never seen it nor has it been reported on this scale.  Give me a day or two to look into it.  Meantime, please confirm that all scenery settings (like mesh resolution) are set per the manual, thanks.

Hi Jon,

Thankyou for having a closer look at my pictures, the kind words well and justly earned.

Flickering in the scene was limited only to the dark shadow where it extended from under the concrete just beyond the shed. @ or close to ground level shadow does not flicker but as altitude rises beyond say 500 ft, the shadow will flicker dramatically.

Everywhere else in the immediate vicinity is perfect FSX, -  My settings from FSX.cfg (below) As per SAK PDF - only my LOD_RAD, Water, and Autogen are higher than Specified. The only question now is do you see the same shadow/flicker in your sim.

baFeh.jpg

Hi Jon,

Just a small update, the height of 500 ft I quoted should be more like 2000 - 3500 ft AGL. 

I forgot to mention also that I have "Ground Scenery Shadows" Off/unchecked

Here is a pic of the flicker between Lit and Shadow for the problem area captured @ 3353 ft  

Begin the test - 19:45:00, Summer, August 9th 2014,  Lat- N59.457610Lon- W135.315230  ALT- 2000ft  MAG - 217,  Pause and set Slew mode, Change View to spot or cockpit so that you can see the area,  Normal sim rate on load, then get the effect progressing quickly, increase to 4x or 8x to observe the lights coming on then the shadow then the flicker in short succession.  

vEOto.jpg

Hi Jon,  Me again

Some interesting ground in this area, after more checking I think I know why the shadow and flickering occurs as it does.

The following pics show that the jagged shadow area is actually terrain demarcation, and what lies just outside and underneath where the shed is positioned is a 'void' covered by a hardened surface. As you can see one vehicle is levitating with the area being viewable from below the hardened surface, didn't think that was possible.

wnjti.jpg

ac8H.jpg

w6Ams.jpg

l5iUn.jpg

pw9le.jpg

Great forensic work, Jeff!  There are at least two problems here: the texture for the surface is not the correct one, and that area in question is supposed to be flattened to zero.  I'll work with Holger on it.

Thankyou Jon, couldn't ask for more than that, I'll leave it in your's and Holgers hands.

Interesting you should say that the texture isn't the correct one. When viewed in daylight it does seem to match, although slightly different tones are evident between the texture on the jagged 'Terrain' surface and the texture on the hardened surface. Were you able to replicate the effect on your side or is it only me. 

Hi guys,

attached below is an updated file pair for PAGY that should take care of that incorrectly shaded area north of the tank farm. Please place in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SAK05_SCENERY\scenery, overwriting the existing two files.

There's still a small section next to the southern airport fence with a bit of a shading issue (see screenshot) but any further changes to that flatten only created other issues elsehwere. In any case the large shaded "blob" should be gone now.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-48556500-1408143619_thumb.jpg

FTX-SAK_PAGY_update_HS_Aug13.zip

Thankyou Holger,

All looking good now, the shadow is gone and vehicle back on the ground, the texture now matches the surrounding light splash, I might just park a truck on that spot, or we could sprinkle the fence with weeds. 

One small request but not overly important given the amount of lighting on the ground for the marina and dock, would it be possible to attach lights to the poles with twin lamps like the two on the repaired shadow area.

Ltfk.jpg

MG1LY.jpg

Archived