London: to HDR Light or not to HDR Light that is the question?

twsimfan

Hi guys,

I installed ENG, SCO, & WLS yesterday in P3Dv2 and I haven't been entirely happy with what I've seen. Keep in mind that I have had them in FSX so it is the difference or at least my perception of that difference that I am talking about. I am trying to get my settings for P3D worked out. I am asking for the community's advice on what I have messed up. If this were a request for ORBX support I would have put it in that forum.

So here are two sets... one with... and one without... HDR Lighting. I would be interested in some opinions as to which is best or if you feel it would be more appropriate which is worse.

C1ZnA.jpg

This is without HDR Lighting... the landmark buildings all look good but notice the autogen in the foreground and the way the river bank cuts off. Of course this could just be that my autogen settings are a mess.

lxe05.jpg

Here again the foreground looks kind of "cardboardy" to me... I don't think it is another case of the blurries or at least if it is then it is different from what I had before.

PTWN2.jpg

Not quite so bad here I guess.

uaUzN.jpg

I got along fine with the police when I lived in London but then again I wasn't doing anything quite this stupid either. :D

zHlOC.jpg

The nice thing about a sim is you can do such things and live to be shamed by it. ;)

zZ3Rw.jpg

This is IMO a fun paint. London City is as lonely as ever. I came to expect that in the FSX version. And yeah... that weird guy is walking back & forth just a few feet out of this shot on the left.

OK now lets try it with HDR Lighting turned on:

MeJBj.jpg

The autogen settings are the same but the river bank and the smaller buildings look less fake to me. Of course the landmark stuff is about the same. Another thing is the plane appears to be dark gray... HDR does that.

ahn6i.jpg

This plane was pretty terrible with HDR off... the gauges would not work and they are fairly good except of course quite dark with HDR on. I know that doesn't make any sense but it is true.

5UOSw.jpg

Say what is that teepee type building on the left? I don't think it was in the FSX version was it? I know the stubby rocket type one on the right was in the FSX version and I've seen it in the background on the TV news.

AE0w6.jpg

Don't worry I am not going to try a roll with this aircraft. I may not always obey the law but I try to obey the laws of physics when possible. ;)

QXg2.jpg

Believe it or not this is my old neighborhood. When we were first married my wife & I lived in a flat on Hatherley Grove just off the Norhern end of Queensway... 10 minute walk from Kensington Palace.

Not to worry... we moved back to the US in April of 1976 and we haven't been back to the UK since. I wouldn't dare... they probably have wanted posters up for my unpaid parking tickets.

sdywB.jpg

It still looks kind of washed out in the distance but I think the park like areas show up much better with the HDR Lighting turned on?  But notice how a shadow makes part of the tail nearly disappear.

4m9Qc.jpg

So lets go on into Heathrow.

dFL6.jpg

I don't see much point in worrying about ATC as this place is totally deserted.

h5UF7.jpg

In the FSX version there were half a dozen airliners scattered around as I recall and one BA A380 wandering around which I nearly ran into once. I've taxied all around EGLL a couple of times in the past day and not seen anybody.

I figure that many of my complaints are explained by my autogen settings and I supposed I have something messed up that is preventing airliners from showing up at Heathrow. It is my setting that I am inviting comment on and I am not trying to say there is something wrong with the scenery... if I thought there was a problem with FTX EU ENG I would ask those questions in the support forum.

So what is the verdict... HDR or no HDR? Do I have too much autogen or not enough? Has anybody got an idea as to why I'm not getting any airliners? I have airliners set to 90% on the traffic settings page in P3Dv2.

I'm getting very pretty scenery around Cardiff even without HDR turned on:

3a15F.jpg

Of course EGFF is considered as a "parware like" airport by FTX so the scenery should be prettier.

hOgWu.jpg

And I am getting some static ground traffic at EGFF. But it is all P3D default (same as FSX default) type Beech Barons & Mooney Bravos.

3b7Oy.jpg

Not the airliners I checked the boxes for in the EGFF control panel.

Oh well... I hope you enjoy some of my shots even though my settings are anything but all sorted out.

Thanks,

Tom Wunder

For me it has to be HDR on. I know it can cause the scenery to become too dark for some, but there is a way round it.. and that is using REX4 textures. There is an option with REX4 to select HDR friendly textures, thus giving  you a less dark look. 

Also, for blurries, have you tried the affinity mask setting?... this is essential for all P3D 2.2 users, until 2.3 comes out.

And, with your autogen.. I notice the abrupt cut off. Have you installed any orbx scenery that's not P3D2.2 ready?

For me it has to be HDR on. I know it can cause the scenery to become too dark for some, but there is a way round it.. and that is using REX4 textures. There is an option with REX4 to select HDR friendly textures, thus giving  you a less dark look. 

Also, for blurries, have you tried the affinity mask setting?... this is essential for all P3D 2.2 users, until 2.3 comes out.

And, with your autogen.. I notice the abrupt cut off. Have you installed any orbx scenery that's not P3D2.2 ready?

Although obviously I am new to P3D I have been with FS for over 3 decades and most other sims that showed promise along the way.

I too am fast coming to the conclusion that HDR is part of what makes P3D special and apart from FSX. Better contrasts... more pleasing greenbelt areas, more pleasing looking clouds.

On top of that two of my Carenado aircraft (V35B & C340) have panels that either partially or completely will not work without HDR... I know that makes no sense.

I have not even tried to install regions or airports that are not yet 2.2 certified. I have new versions downloaded and ready to install in the morning when I'm rested. Specifically YPEC, YPMQ, & YSCH. The other two I bought at the end of June (YBBN & YBCS) are not yet 2.2 ready. I wasn't thinking about P3D at the time I bought those so I is probably just good luck that 4 of the 6 are 2.2 ready.

I have cross grade licenses approved and bought for all my PC Aviator purchased FTX DVDs but no point in downloading that stuff until ORBX says it is ready to go.

I have REX Essentials Plus w/Overdrive. I have not yet learned how to use it. I made a couple of dismal attempts in early July then my system died for a couple of weeks. While it was out of service waiting on parts anyway I decided to upgrade some of those parts. I took the Power Supply up to 850W and put a whole new heat sink on my processor and added a GTX 780 Ti video card w/3GB of fast VRAM... which was what gave me the notion to go to P3D.

I am a little annoyed with REX at the moment. I bought REX via PCA and the sales page said for FSX or P3D. I was only just getting started with  REX in FSX and now that I am working at a full conversion to P3D I have no intent of keeping it in FSX. I understand why they feel entitled to collect a fee to use it with both sims but to use with either one to the exclusion of the other should in my opinion be covered by the purchase price. But I suspect I'll give them the $5. Small enough that I guess I don't have to be fond of the idea.

But you talk about REX4 having an option to use HDR friendly textures... can one use REX Essentials+ w/OD to achieve the same results or would I need to add REX4?

Affinity masking fixed my blurries. Well I did have one quick bout of it over Seattle last night. Right between KSEA & KBFI... all had been sharp and clear then for 4 or 5 minutes I had garbage then it was OK again.

In addition to Affinity Masking I am also now setting P3D's CPU priority to high (normally sits at normal). With that I can add some more detail and also get better FPS.

Thanks for the response and I have to apologize for such a rambling reply. I'm 4 or 5 hours past my bedtime and getting a little loopy for the need of some sleep.

Thank you Mr. 56... it is always nice to find people who know what they are talking about like yourself.

Good night,

Tom Wunder

Hi Tom,

I also fly with HDR on I believe it makes the world much more alive regarding the lightfall on the scenery objects and the clouds, I agree with you that sometimes it is bit too dark but its like real life there are compromises to be made and I can live with that.

Regarding the difference between both REX versions is that the latest version REX 4 Direct works with real sky colors as background so maybe that will explain the difference in the textures and lightfall also the color-tones are different then REX Essentials, just my two cents.

When I look at your screenshots they look great and I find nothing wrong with them, HDR off or on is a question of personal taste so do what you like most.

Cheers,

Ruud

Hello Ruud,

It seems we have a consensus building for HDR. I have to figure out how to use and therefore what to do regarding REX but I want to be more knowledgeable about P3D before I add the extra dimension of REX.

I am not entirely sure what my opinion is on some of these issues which is why I ask these inane questions all the time. But I am coming to believe that I need to learn how to make it work well with HDR on because the P3D world is much more vibrant that way. :)

Thank you sir,

Tom Wunder

Archived