FTX Global Installation Error

Windy

I just purchased FTX Global Base Pack and just before it's about to install, I get the following error.       Setup can not create the following folder: \Effects

At that point clicking Retry, the error window disappears and the FTX: Global Wrapper window is there but no install is taking place.  Any idea on what I should do or not be doing at this point?  I use Flight Sim X Acceleration running inside Win7.

Thank you for your help.

Are you expanding the files to a new folder instead of trying to install from the zip file? If the later, that may well be the issue. The downloaded file must be unzipped first (by something other than the built in MS way is best).

Sorry, no.  I used Winrar 5.01 64bit to unzip the files to the directory that Winrar created on my desktop then tried to install from that directory.  I right click on OrbxFTXGlobal110.exe and run as administrator.  The FlightSim Store Wrapper pops up and goes threw its unwrapping process.  Then a window pops up saying...  The product installer is about to be executed.  Please do NOT click Finish on this wrapper until the product installer has completed.  I click the OK button. Then the FTX Global Base Pack Setup screen pops up.  I click Next.  I agree to the terms. I make sure FSX is selected.  Click Next.  Clicking Next threw the following 2 screens. I cancel the backup of textures because I really don't need them.  Now the interesting part.... Where is the Install Folder Path?  Maybe I'm missing something here but how can it install if it doesn't know where to install.  And why does it need an \Effects folder?

gHyiN.jpg

And then I get this error and that's the end to any installation.  :(

TsFde.jpg

In addition to the above:

Do you have sufficient free disk space (both for the uncompressed files, then to additionally install them)

It sounds as though your FSX registry entries are not intact (this is where the installer gets the Install Path from)

Right down the bottom of the Support download pages is a link to download the tool.

Also check that there are no read-only attribs set on the FSX folder and subfolders.

Hi there

I have 700gigs free on my C: drive and 2.3 terrabytes free on my FSX drive.

I downloaded and ran that registry fixer program and it went smoothly.  I really don't believe there was any problem there since everything else that I installed into FSX or is connected with FSX ran/runs properly.

I checked the properties on FSX and the button beside Read Only was highlighted so I unchecked it, hit apply and waited until it was done, clicked ok, ran your installer again and got the same problem as shown above.

I went back to the FSX properties window and the Read Only button was highlighted again.  Whatever Win7 is doing, it's not allowing me to change the Read Only status.  So I ran the following that I found on a Microsoft page...

attrib -r drive:\<path>\<foldername>  of course changing the path and foldername but that didn't change anything and the Read Only is still checked off.

Is there a way or a different installer that I can use that will allow me to put in my own path?  I'm sure that will get the installation going. :)

I'm looking forward to buying and installing Vector and I would like to purchase the North American openLC if we can get the base running.

Thanks

Apologies for crashing the thread, but I have EXACTLY the same problem except:

- It's with FTX EU England (which is my very first install)

- The Error is "Setup can not create the following folder: \ORBX\Scripts" (exact same error timing, just a different subfolder reference)

I have followed all the advised steps, including the last one about Read Only.  My OS is Windows 8.1, and the attributes all change but, as soon as I then check the Properties again, they have all reverted to Read Only.

Grateful for any further help!

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your sugestions Wolter.  I right click and install as administrator on all my programs and even taking ownership has not changed the end result. The installer still doesn't pick up a location to install the software. 

gHyiN.jpg

Thanks Wolter.

I do have ownership, UAC is set to the minimum possible, and I am selecting "Run as administrator".

I also downloaded using a downloader and "fixed" the Registry before doing the above.

In fact I think I've used every piece of advice available to date - but with no change unfortunately.

Still hoping...!

Hi Nick

Thanks for your registry error as it fixed the install problem.  The graphics installed and then the FTX Central window opened up, I thought I was there but, sadly no.  Now I have another error.  Hopefully you have a fix for it as well :)

n83VO.jpg

It doesn't matter if I click on Continue, The FTX Central window just sits there with Loading showing until I exit out of it.  :(

Thanks Nick.  I downloaded library 140703 and it seemed to install ok but came up with the same error as shown above when the FTX Central window opened.  The FTX Central window just sits at Loading until you close it.  The error I'm getting seems like it's a Orbx error so would the programmer who wrote that error know why I'm getting it?  Even though whatever FTX Central is trying to load the 3 links at the top of the FTX Central window, FTX, Tools and Help are all working.  Maybe something in the registry is pointing at the wrong directory or never recorded the directory as in the previous error which you managed to fix?

CwYoy.jpg

Hi Nick

I was poking around the ...\ORBX directory in FSX seeing if I could find something and I found the following.  Not sure if it means anything but I thought I would post it to you and see if this was my problem.

In your FSX location.reg file you have the following listed...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0]

But in the FTXSettings.xml file in the FSX's ORBX directory the following is shown...

<FSXRegistryKey>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0</FSXRegistryKey>

I noticed that in my Win7 professional 64bit registry there is no HKLM listing.  Shouldn't it be HKEY and not HKLM? Could this be the problem?

Thanks

I don't think that is the source of your error as I have the same.

I don't have a registry entry at that address though, HKLM is right,

Hot Key Local Machine.

The [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0]

registry entry is the one that controls where FTX installers put the products in a 64 bit version of Windows.

If you modify that, both the installer and the Registry Utility report the change.

Having read a very old topic, I wonder if it might be something as simple as your scenery library numbering

being out of order.

You could try temporarily renaming the scenery.cfg file and then copying the one from the FSX root folder

into its place.

I'm grasping for straws really, the error has been reported only a few times and no one has posted a fix.

I am guessing it must be system specific.

Another straw is if you have some kind of anti virus software running, it is engaging FTX Central and preventing

it from working properly.

Hi Nick

Switching the scenery.cfg did not work.  Same error.  As you can see, the first several are all FTX related.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at FTXCentral.TerrainConfig.AddORBX(String RegionName)
   at FTXCentral.TerrainConfig.UpdateRegions()
   at FTXCentral.PublicDefs.UpdateTerrainCFG()
   at FTXCentral.PublicDefs.InitFTXEnv()
   at FTXCentral.FTXC.InitSystem()
   at FTXCentral.FTXC.InitAll()
   at FTXCentral.FTXC.Timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5477 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

----------------------------------------
FTXCentral
    Assembly Version: 1.0.4.3
    Win32 Version: 1.0.4.3

Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Drawing

System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

riv8isnq

System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1

ptd0kcxt

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and even with that turned off, the problem continues.

Doesn't Orbx get the programmer who wrote the code involved when these sorts of problems occur?  Especially when the error has 7 FTX Central errors?

Ok.... thanks for your help Nick!  Hopefully one of the Orbx programmers can find the problem and fix it.  I had a whole list of Orbx ground scenery that I wanted to buy for my FSX but if Orbx can't fix the problem, I will be asking for my money back.  :(

While we wait, you should understand that the problem is not with the

FTX product, it is with your installation of FSX.

If the operating system, .net framework and FSX are all installed

correctly and therefore have the correct registry entries, FTX Global

and FTX Central will install and function without errors.

Clearly this was and is not the case for you and you might consider

un-installing FSX and re-installing it, ideally to its own folder  outside

program files (x86).

A search of the forums suggests that here have been six other

reports of this error since 2008, there are no solutions posted.

The topic authors have either ceased posting or stated that they

have re-installed and the problem has gone away

Hi Nick

Thanks for the advice.  My copy of Win7 Pro 64bit has been getting it's updates from Microsoft and I've had no problem with the OS at all.  I downloaded the newest .net framework (4.5) from Microsoft's site and it said that it wouldn't install since I already had it.  I will have to consider reinstalling FSX then.  It wouldn't be the first time I've had to do a reinstall.  The last one was just a year ago when I decided to purchased a 4 terabyte Western Digital drive just to be used for FSX which now resides at F:\ drive.  Enough room for years of installing.  ::) .... and reinstalling.  :blink:

It may be that there is yet time to find a solution.

Re-installing I think should only be as a last resort

but if FSX was properly installed to F:\ then there

should have been a valid registry entry for the installer

to find in the first place and these errors should not have

occurred.

I have some other stuff on the go... summer's here, people are coming for a visit and other projects on the go, so it might be a month or so before I could even start on it.  So maybe in that time, we might hear something from Orbx and if not, then back to the reinstall I go again.  Not sure why I torture myself like this.  :wacko:   As Homer Simpson would say...  D'OH!

Archived