Norton reporting P3D2 versions of YMLT and YCUN are unsafe

I'm currently in the process of downloading and installing all of my Orbx titles into P3D V2.2 on a new computer. I've been at it for about a week now and the process has been problem free until today. I downloaded the seven Australian freeware airports compatible with P3D2 using the download links in the announcement threads for each airport. YMUI, YPLC, YRED, YBLN, and YLIL all installed without a hitch. However, when I unzipped the files for YMLT and YCUN, Norton Internet Security warned neither of the files were safe and removed their installers from my system. I downloaded YMLT and YCUN twice more, and was met each time with the same results.

Since my new system arrived, I've downloaded and installed all of the Global products, along with every region that is currently P3D2 compatible. I've also added several of the payware airports successfully without this problem. My download manager is DownThemAll, and all files have been unzipped with WinZip. I know Norton can cause problems when installing software, but I haven't had to turn it off yet with any other Orbx title. Is it possible there is a problem with the P3D2 versions of YMLT and YCUN?

Randy

Norton marks things that have not been downloaded by a certain number of its customers as unsafe. If you wait a couple of weeks after a flight sim product has been released the warning is usually gone. Read the warning and you will find a button to tell it to continue anyway and get the product without problems.

Dave

Thanks to all above for the helpful comments. I downloaded the P3D2 version of YCUN again and unzipped the file using WinZip. The YCUN installer briefly appeared on my desktop along with a message from Norton that it was "analyzing" the file. Once Norton completed, the YCUN installer was automatically deleted from my desktop with the message the file was not safe. This time I clicked on Norton for more details. Norton reported the file is a "WS Reputation, 1" security risk. In NortonSpeak, this is a risk based not upon a specific risk or class of risks, but rather on a reputation score. In this instance, the score of the file must be low due to the relatively few number of times it has been downloaded by Symantec's community of users.

So I right-clicked on Norton in my system tray and temporarily disabled Anti-Virus Auto Protect while I downloaded and successfully installed YCUN and YMLT. Problem solved. Thanks again for the comments.

Randy

Archived