Fsx freezing then resuming

avocado0425

Hi all,

Bit of a newbie here but have been having a few problems with fsx freezing/locking up in flight. Looked through a lot  of forums and picked up a few tweaks that may fix the problem. When the freeze occurred I usually flicked to process manager and trashed the flight. A couple of days ago I had a freeze, got p....d off and walked out of the room. Some time later I returned to find that the program had resumed operation. Today I set off to try to make it happen again, and so I did-twice! Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi,

Can you provide some idea of the system specs you are using, whether this a new problem or if you have always had it, what detail settings you have configured and if you have tried launching task manager to track the FSX process usage when you get a freeze?

FSX can be very fickle configuration wise but it also has a large dependency on what other things your system might be doing at the same time which might affect performance.

Cheers.

Look in the Tweaks and Tips forum for the fsx.cfg fix. As you can see in my signature, I have a medium spec PC. Every once in a while I start getting twitcy frame rates and do this little trick. Last performed yesterday and I am again getting a smooth 20's to 30's frame rates.

Freezing has more to do with hardware than software. You may simply need a more powerful computer. You also can help remedy the problem by moving FSX sliders further to the left, You may find a happy balance there....btw, there are some config tweaks that can help such as HIMEMFIX=1, BUFFERPOOLS=0, and setting LOD at 3.5 rather than 4.5. No guarantees, but those moves have helped me with an older system, and milking the best out of it I can without the upgrade I need.

Sherm

Thanks for the replies ,

I have added specs to signature. System  built Dec 2013. Also have OZx complete and Aerosoft Lord Howe Island add- ons.  I have found OZx slows loading dramatically so do  not have it enabled at all times. As well as the freezes CTD and OOM crashes have also occurred. I have the Process Explorer tool mentioned in the VAS management article (FSX General). FSX Virtual Size runs at 1GB  or so without addon scenery increasing to 1.2-1.4 depending on how much is added but after a while a sudden spike to 2GB crashes the system. Not what the article indicates as it suggests that running FSX on Win7 64bit lets the 32bit program use its entire 4GB hard limit of VAS.

I have done the UiAutomationcore thing as well a menu bar click fix found in another forum.

Keeping the scenery load low by only enabling immediate needs has proved reasonably successful in regard to CTD, OOM crashes and these freezes. FTXAUSP003 is a bit of a problem in that it loads all areas at the same time. Are the four sets of SCENERY, SHORES,CUSTOM files equivalent to the previous four colour regions or have the files been scattered?

Further suggestions greatly appreciated.

Archived