OpenLC EU with FTX England

BG2518

I'm having an issue with the water textures used in either OpenLC EU or FTX England... I'm just not sure what's wrong.

See this screenshot:

blue.png

I did post this in an area where I thought it had a relationship to the other poster i.e. was about OpenLC EU but I see now that it needs it's own posted comment, like this.

John Venema said select "Europe" in FTX Central to see the full-fat FTX region.

So I did and still see exactly the same blue tinge to the coatline.

If I turn off England then all the water is blue so there is no issue.

It seems that the England scenery has better water colouring that the otherwise default water colouring.

I'm lost frankly.

I have Rex Texture direct and have in the past used that to make water etc more "realistic" as it (I think) changes default textures etc.

BUT, I'm guessing that is incompatible with what OpenLC EU is up to ??

If John is still interested the problem still exists as you can see in this post dedicated to it.

In addition, I am seeing textures changing (in the same location) as I'm flying over the heathrow area from urban to grass to water it's all a little bit crazy.

I mean, basically is openLC EU supposed to work with FTX England ??

If so, what may I be doing wrong?

Many thanks,

BG2518 - Bob.

Any help ???

BTW I'm a P3D v2.2 user.

Have reinstalled everything from ORBX - no change.

Running FTX Central as Global Hybrid but that makes no difference even if I don't. Any combo of options gives the same coastine colouring result.

Changing water textures DOES help BUT I have to choose the darkest texture (REX Texture Direct) to "almost" not notice the difference in colouring.

This problem is limited to the previously released UK areas as far as I can see.

I am guessing that the devs of England etc chose a realistic coatline sea colour (very very good actually) but this is SO different from the default sea colour as to be very noticable.

You can prove this by zooming out and looking well out to sea around the coast where you'll eventually see the "junction" between the sea texture for England and that of the deafult (nearer France).

2 choices here it seems to me to get the blend to work better with openLC EU

1) Orbx modify all UK scenery to "lighten" coatline water (and most likely inland as well beacause that's different also).

2) Modify openLC EU so it doen't affect the coatlines and inland waters to such an extent.

OR, any other option the smart devs at ORBX can think of because as it stands it just doesn't work.

Final option is probably to tell me to press an "obvious" button somehwere and all will be fixed - lol.

All the same, pls help.

Any help ???

BTW I'm a P3D v2.2 user.

Have reinstalled everything from ORBX - no change.

Running FTX Central as Global Hybrid but that makes no difference even if I don't. Any combo of options gives the same coastine colouring result.

Changing water textures DOES help BUT I have to choose the darkest texture (REX Texture Direct) to "almost" not notice the difference in colouring.

This problem is limited to the previously released UK areas as far as I can see.

I am guessing that the devs of England etc chose a realistic coatline sea colour (very very good actually) but this is SO different from the default sea colour as to be very noticable.

You can prove this by zooming out and looking well out to sea around the coast where you'll eventually see the "junction" between the sea texture for England and that of the deafult (nearer France).

2 choices here it seems to me to get the blend to work better with openLC EU

1) Orbx modify all UK scenery to "lighten" coatline water (and most likely inland as well beacause that's different also).

2) Modify openLC EU so it doen't affect the coatlines and inland waters to such an extent.

OR, any other option the smart devs at ORBX can think of because as it stands it just doesn't work.

Final option is probably to tell me to press an "obvious" button somehwere and all will be fixed - lol.

All the same, pls help.

Though I cannot help you with your problem, I have exactly the same issue with FTX Scotland in Prepar3d V2.2 - but I`,m quite sure it apperared only after I installed REX 4 Texture Direct. My guess is that REX 4 changes the colors of the ocean and inland water so they no longer match the coastal waterclass areas of FTX England, Scotland etc. which where probably created for the default water colors. Like you said, changing the REX 4 water theme to the darkest color set alleviates the problem a bit, but it is still noticable. I know this is not helpful at all, but at least you know that you`re not alone ^_^

After a little more testing I'm not entirely sure anymore if the problem is solely related to Rex. I've done some flying in other orbx regions now, namely SAK and PFJ. Coastal water looks completely normal in those areas. Given that REX changes water textures on a global level, I expected this problem to appear everywhere in the world. So maybe it's a problem of the European FTX regions after all, the way their watermasks work or something like that. You should probably post these issues in the general payware support forum again and specifically ask if this is related to these regions.

Cheers, Fabian

Ho Bob,

alas I'm human and not always in the possibility to answer all posts as soon as I would like, at the end of the day I think your lclookup.bgl is gone bad, please switch FTX Central to default / Global and Hit Apply

then unzipp attached file in to your ....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\BASE\Scenery\ folder and fire up fsX see if that resolves the "issue"

lclookup.zip

Hi,

You may have missed me saying above that I'm a P3D V2.2 user and NOT FSX.

The Iclookup.bgl replacement makes no difference.

I "think" this all relates to the original England coastal water colour design and can't easily be changed as previously noted.

I also think you'll need to take into account that there ARE differences in the way FSX and P3D display the results.

It is an issue that really ought to be on the "take a look at it" list but it isn't hugely a problem.

Thanks.

BG2518 - Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

You may have missed me saying above that I'm a P3D V2.2 user and NOT FSX.

The Iclookup.bgl replacement makes no difference.

I "think" this all relates to the original England coastal water colour design and can't easily be changed as previously noted.

I also think you'll need to take into account that there ARE differences in the way FSX and P3D display the results.

It is an issue that really ought to be on the "take a look at it" list but it isn't hugely a problem.

Thanks.

BG2518 - Bob.

You might be interested to know that I recently did a complete reinstall of Prepar3d V2 because of the new V2.3 update. I installed almost everything except REX 4 - now the coastal waters of Scotland look perfectly fine again, so it really seems to be a problem of those REX Water textures not matching the FTX EU region watermasks. I guess I´ll just use REX 4 for sky and cloud textures for now.

fabs79,

Thanks for the confirmation it really helps.

Now, if ORBX wish to comment something along the lines of " yes, we see this also and it doesn't occur along the coastlines of our other regions. As such we'll be looking at this with SIM720 to get an update in due course "

That would be great, Wolter ?

Cheers,

Archived