Real-Life, NZNI, microlight flight

jpreou

Some of you may have picked up from various posts that I am pursuing a microlight license here in NZ.

I am doing this with the Waikato Microlight Club and fly an X-Air from a strip just to the East of Te Awamutu. Its an unlicensed strip so not in FSX/P3D and not on any charts. I took a bunch of photos some weeks ago, so one day in the far future it *might* appear on a well-known photoreal subscription-based NZ scenery.

This flight was my second dual cross-country with instructor (the first being to Te Kuiti and back). We do the flight dual, then next time out I do it solo. This flight was from Mockford, over to Raglan (NZRA) then to Te Kowhai (NZTE) and finally back to Mockford. Raglan is in FSX/P3D but Te Kowhai is not. Both are in ORBX NZNI, which is why I'm hanging out for it to make it into P3Dv2.

This is the first time I have used my GoPro on the microlight. I had it affixed to a strut/brace under the right wing facing forward. It went ok, a little bit of interference occasionally and sorry about the fogging as we climbed up to 2500ft to get across the hills where the ground temps were only 6 deg C. I had frozen toes, despite a new pair of IceBreaker socks!

Anyway, we didn't stop in Raglan, but I had 20 mins in Te Kowhai when I made a cup of tea while my instructor popped off on a test flight with another club member in a Zenith CH650 (which I flew myself a couple of months ago).

Enough rambling, here's the flight. I cut out the 'boring' bits between each take-off and landing; the source files were just under 10GB.

WARNING: this is a 168MB file and just under 22 mins long from a flight of just under 2 hours. Like I said, first attempt with the GoPro and editing (using Pinnacle/Avid Studio 15 Ultimate). You might want to mute the sound; the engine drone for 20 mins is a little wearing!

http://youtu.be/7kHwzElR53Y

I'll be doing the same flight in reverse, solo, next time out.

Thanks for looking.

I only just managed to work through the options of getting it 'activated' and all. First time YouTube uploader. It should be ok now, but let me know if not.

My wife can view and I can also when not signed in, so I think it is ok now.

Archived