It's a flightsim isn't it? The answer is NO.

macca22au

Already there are boats/ships available for FSX.  They are simobjects and come up in the aircraft selection panel.  You can use a floatplane to locate your position alongside a wharf somewhere, change to a boat, 'save the flight" and then sail from there.

The one great weakness channels are unmarked, and as the sea is presumed to be of equal depth no rocks or snags exist.  But it won't be long and presumably a freeware fanatic will start putting in scenery overlays to give marked channels in busy places. Then a maritime developer will bring out great payware.

I am sure ACES intended to use the FSX scenery engine for its train sim, but I am also certain that some developer will work out how to do it within the terms of the SDK.  Not hard for the expert I would suspect.

And then someone will work out how to combine a combat sim, like CFsim, as an add-on to the main game.  This would keep my grandsons happy as not shooting at someone is the same as 'boring'.

The great combat jets that are available, default, free and pay, are a bit disappointing to the young without having the ability to dogfight.

Then trucks on roads, tanks, infantry, strategy games etc etc.  All the more successful as it by-passes XBox and all that stuff.

FSX can then have a very long life, taking advantage of the hardware already available, and I am sure the great advances in cpus and videocards yet to come.  In a year, who will need FS11?

Good post Ian.  8)

You're absolutely right - I have been really enjoying the offerings from :-

www.deltasim.com

They perform pretty well in FSX (considering they're boats and it's a flight sim!), and modelling is nice. The only criticism would be that the frame rates are far too heavy. Although they're sold as "FSX only", I'm not sure the models are true FSX native.

I have bought 4 boats from here which I regularly sail in FSX!  :)

Good post Ian.  8)

www.deltasim.com

They perform pretty well in FSX (considering they're boats and it's a flight sim!), and modelling is nice. The only criticism would be that the frame rates are far too heavy. Although they're sold as "FSX only", I'm not sure the models are true FSX native.

I have bought 4 boats from here which I regularly sail in FSX!   :)

Link doesn't work for me David

I have Battlestations Midway and it is a very good strategy game.  However I was surprised by the simplicity, almost old fashioned, interfaces in the game.  I felt that I was back in the world of DOS.  I can see the way the poll is going but it is unfortunate.

Battlestation Pacific  looks fantastic and I will buy it, but not as a Xbox or similar game.  I'm into strategy, some sophistication in presentation, but not a first person shooter.

FS fans don't know how good, and how well developed our sim has become.  There is nothing in Battlestations Midway that can be 'flown' from the terrestrial equivalent of the VC.  It is uninteresting to engage in combat from the outside, it is only crouched over the controls that there is any reality. 

All else is an arcade game.

And then someone will work out how to combine a combat sim, like CFsim, as an add-on to the main game.  This would keep my grandsons happy as not shooting at someone is the same as 'boring'.

The great combat jets that are available, default, free and pay, are a bit disappointing to the young without having the ability to dogfight.

Just take a look at this:

(and see link in the video's left corner for vrsimulations)

Stick a 2OCU or 75sq paint on it, we may have a winner.

Good post Ian.  8)

www.deltasim.com

I have bought 4 boats from here which I regularly sail in FSX!   :)

Link doesn't work for me David

Sorry - the link should be:

www.deltasimstudio.com

(Could a Mode please correct this in my post above as I can no longer modify it).

Archived