could someone quickly explain!:)

papaschild

could someone just quickly, tell me the difference between FTX and VOZ,

im of the assumption that FTX is a more detailed product., but when i look at the VOZ site, it mentions that VOZ should work seamlessly with FTX, so, i guess my question is , what does VOZ bring to FTX, and vice versa?

thanks a lot!

VOZ - Australian textures and scenery for FS2004 (freeware)

VSX - VOZ Scenery for FSX - Australian scenery (freeware)

FTX - Full Terrain X - landclass, textures, autogen, roads, railway, accurate coastlines and some major rivers etc soon to be available as payware for FSX.

So no, you can not use VOZ with FTX as VOZ is only for FS2004. You can use VSX with FTX and in general it will work fine. There are a couple of areas that may conflict depending on scenery library order, however the VSX developers are aware of these and the majority have committed to attempting to fix these issues. Having said that, FTX will take steps to address these issues automatically for users.

Mmmmmm, interesting, have you got any examples???  I didn't realise there would be a benefit.

Yes of course Chris. There are over forty airfields included in VSX 1.1, ranging from simple small strips to wonderfully detailed airports such as Coffs Harbour, Cooloongatta, Grafton, Lismore, Murwillumbah, Perth, Port MacQuarie, Tyagarah. This is in addition to the other scenery items that are helping define Australia - over 15 major racecourses, VFR sceneries and heliports.

In general FTX will not be replacing anything in VSX. First up FTX is defining the landscape by providing more accurate landclass calling OrbX superb hi-res photo textures. Then it will improve the fidelity of the roads, rivers, railways, coastlines. It will provide highly accurate and unique autogen with some innovative ideas. Then as a bonus it will provide custom small airfield packs that are designed specifically for the FTX textures.

BUT again, (as a general rule), FTX will not be providing content that is available in VSX. This is not to say that the developers of VSX scenery won't be updating their sceneries to take best advantage of FTX - because in many cases they will.

I hope that explains to you why VSX is still a very important part of simming in Australia. The two packages are trying to work hand in hand and they are definately not about taking away from each other.

Thanks Barry for taking the time to provide that detailed explanation.  A quick question though...  Once the more detailed FTX airports etc. come on line, will the replacement process be seamless and hassle free?  Also will the same be said for the detailed the FTX City Packs?

Finally should I wait for FTX before installing VSX on my extremely well running FSX setup.  Sheesh I just realised how many TLA's we have in this hobby  ;D  ;D

Cheers and thanks again,

There is a new version 1.1 of VSX in the works. This will be a delete-and-replace upgrade, i.e. delete your old 1.0 VSX installation and replace it with the 1.1 version, which will have been 100% tested and certified not to clash with FTX.

Right now, VSX 1.0 will definitely cause issues, particularly in Perth around Rotto and Freo, where the coastlines are completely out of whack and ships are on land instead of water. This is not the fault of the VSX developers, because they did not have FTX in their hands soon enough to write to our more accurate coastlines. VSX 1.1 will fix all of that.

Once the more detailed FTX airports etc. come on line, will the replacement process be seamless and hassle free?

The freeware GA airports? They won't be replacing VSX airports, they will be new airfields.

Also will the same be said for the detailed the FTX City Packs?

At the moment I am unaware of any commercial Airport or City upgrade that will be 'competing' with anything in VSX. If the situation arises OrbX will have a solution - and it will be as automated and simple as possible because we don't want to deal with support hassles.

Finally should I wait for FTX before installing VSX on my extremely well running FSX setup. 

Personal preference. The main fear here is because we have all installed addons in the past that have replaced or conflicted with other addons. VSX lives outside of the main FSX scenery system. This was a conscious decision taken by the VOZ developers in conjunction with OrbX and it was a decision made to allow better integration with other addons. This same philosophy will apply with FTX.

So, yes you can safely install VSX prior to FTX. Indeed the FTX installer will actually be checking to see if you have VSX installed. This is because there are one or two issues that need to be dealt with if VSX is present. In the userguide, OrbX is intending to explain what these issues are and how you can easily solve them if you 'prefer' to do a manual install (yes there are some people that prefer this).

BTW, these issues are not show stoppers, or crash causing problems - they are simple little things like changing the Australian Roads and Traffic system provided by VSX to the more accurate, updated FTX system etc.

Archived