FTX Central will not run

drobnisd

I am seeing a Windows 7 error when trying to start FTX Central:  "FTX Central has stopped working."  I have tried installing Library 140601, reloading Orbx Scripts from a backup when FTXC worked properly, and restoring my entire Microsoft FSX folder from a working backup.  

I believe the problem is probably some configuration folder somewhere, but what?  I have a LOT of FTX scenery and airports, and the notion of uninstalling and reinstalling them all is NOT appealing!  Win7 and FSX are both patched to latest.  Any suggestions would be most welcome!

---Daniel Drobnis  drobnisd@comcast.net

Some recent orders from FlightSim store: 

Order Number: 293604 FTX: EU Scotland (ORB-726)

Order Number: 293120FTX: EU Ireland (ORB-075)

Order Number: 293090FTX: NA KBVS Skagit Regional (ORB-064)

Order Number: 280661FTX: NA Gold USA Northern California (ORB-081)

Order Number: 261501FTX: Global VECTOR (ORB-079) 

Order Number: 231305FTX: Global (ORB-727)

Order Number: 230585FTX: NA CZST Stewart Airport (ORB-705)

Order Number: 206794FTX: NA Blue Southern Alaska (ORB-722)

Order Number: 203403FTX: EU Wales (ORB-720)

Order Number: 187685FTX: NA KWYS West Yellowstone Airport (ORB-711)

Order Number: 175322FTX: NZ North Island (ORB-071)

I posted this item four days ago.  I have not received a response, so I have been pretty much left on my own to wrestle with this problem.  In case others see the same thing, here is what I have done and what I have seen:

1.  I have deleted all FTX areas and scripts (not airports) from both FSX Scenery and Orbx folders.  I have begun a reinstallation process.

2.  I first reinstalled Australia SP3 from disk.  FTX Central then resumed working, showing Default and Australia

3.  At each step, I saved the FTX Scripts folder from my FSX.

4.  I then attempted to update the Library to 20140601.  This broke FTX Central--would not start with error as above.

5.  I then deleted the Australia SP3, reinstalled and saved the FTX Central again.

6.  I then reinstalled Australia SP4--all patches, one at a time, saving FTX Central scripts.  Some weird errors on FTX Central, fixed by restoring from backup script folder.

7.  I then reinstalled NZ South, and then North.  Restored FTX Central script and executable to fix error as above.  Was please to see Oceania in FTX Central

8.  Patched NZ South and then North.  Restored FTX Central to fix error as above.

9.  Installed NA Central Rockies.  Pleased to see FTX Central run, and show North America.  Saved working FTX Central script folder.

10. I am proceeding to reinstall all of NA.  This will take a while, with Script Folder back at every stage.  Then I will move on to EU England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.

11. I am going to all this trouble because the FTX scenery is superlative.  That's why I paid US$1500 plus for it and airports.  I refuse to run FSX without it!

12. However, FTX product support must be charitably described as "drive by."  Anyone who objects to this characterization is invited to do better.

13. If this gets my post removed, then so be it.  It will only be a disservice to anyone else with this problem who needs a clue how to proceed.

I am sorry you are having this problem.

If possible, can you look at your Windows error log and provide

a little more detail as to why the original error occured, you should see

an error report indicating which module or process failed.

In the meantime, may I refer you to this guide to installing all

FTX products, in particular to the advice as to

not install the latest library until all the other products

have been installed.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/31552-installation-instructions-for-orbx-regions/

Thank you for your suggestion.  Fortunately, I retain a non-working FTX Central that leads to the "Stopped Working" error and can produce it at will.  Any help you can offer will be most welcome.

Here is the entry in the application log with the exact time tag as the last non-working FTX Central attempt:

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: CLR20r3

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: ftxcentral.exe

P2: 1.0.4.2

P3: 53892389

P4: System

P5: 2.0.0.0

P6: 506c18e6

P7: 2cb6

P8: 67

P9: System.Net.Sockets.Socket

P10: 

Attached files:

C:\Users\DanD\AppData\Local\Temp\WER64E2.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\DanD\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_ftxcentral.exe_a5b969791ca52c50907c46cc8b07ea947919482_18696c13

Analysis symbol: 

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 3ad1314e-046b-11e4-9c91-d85d4ccae79d

Report Status: 1

The first referenced file does not exist.  The second referenced file follows:

Version=1

EventType=CLR20r3

EventTime=130490555332757454

ReportType=2

Consent=1

UploadTime=130490555333407491

ReportIdentifier=3ad1314e-046b-11e4-9c91-d85d4ccae79d

Response.type=4

Sig[0].Name=Problem Signature 01

Sig[0].Value=ftxcentral.exe

Sig[1].Name=Problem Signature 02

Sig[1].Value=1.0.4.2

Sig[2].Name=Problem Signature 03

Sig[2].Value=53892389

Sig[3].Name=Problem Signature 04

Sig[3].Value=System

Sig[4].Name=Problem Signature 05

Sig[4].Value=2.0.0.0

Sig[5].Name=Problem Signature 06

Sig[5].Value=506c18e6

Sig[6].Name=Problem Signature 07

Sig[6].Value=2cb6

Sig[7].Name=Problem Signature 08

Sig[7].Value=67

Sig[8].Name=Problem Signature 09

Sig[8].Value=System.Net.Sockets.Socket

DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version

DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID

DynamicSig[2].Value=1033

UI[2]=E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\OldOrbx\Scripts\FTXCentral\FTXCentral.exe

UI[3]=FTX Central has stopped working

UI[4]=Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

UI[5]=Check online for a solution and close the program

UI[6]=Check online for a solution later and close the program

UI[7]=Close the program

LoadedModule[0]=E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\OldOrbx\Scripts\FTXCentral\FTXCentral.exe

LoadedModule[1]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

LoadedModule[2]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSCOREE.DLL

LoadedModule[3]=C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll

LoadedModule[4]=C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

LoadedModule[5]=C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.dll

LoadedModule[6]=C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll

LoadedModule[7]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\sechost.dll

LoadedModule[8]=C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll

LoadedModule[9]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll

LoadedModule[10]=C:\Windows\system32\SHLWAPI.dll

LoadedModule[11]=C:\Windows\system32\GDI32.dll

LoadedModule[12]=C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll

LoadedModule[13]=C:\Windows\system32\LPK.dll

LoadedModule[14]=C:\Windows\system32\USP10.dll

LoadedModule[15]=C:\Windows\system32\IMM32.DLL

LoadedModule[16]=C:\Windows\system32\MSCTF.dll

LoadedModule[17]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll

LoadedModule[18]=C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4940_none_88df89932faf0bf6\MSVCR80.dll

LoadedModule[19]=C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll

LoadedModule[20]=C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll

LoadedModule[21]=C:\Windows\system32\profapi.dll

LoadedModule[22]=C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\mscorlib\51a23687fdafc32b697f5a719e364651\mscorlib.ni.dll

LoadedModule[23]=C:\Windows\system32\CRYPTBASE.dll

LoadedModule[24]=C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll

LoadedModule[25]=C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\System\6be6efa1e2ffc9d46e99839edac5c5a8\System.ni.dll

LoadedModule[26]=C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\Microsoft.VisualBas#\b1ca9cc1413a22d44a7b7ecb6df84a8c\Microsoft.VisualBasic.ni.dll

LoadedModule[27]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\mscorjit.dll

LoadedModule[28]=C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\System.Drawing\672fc9526d8954656bcb46e42082e09c\System.Drawing.ni.dll

LoadedModule[29]=C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\System.Windows.Forms\18f31a371a986b6f6b968530d8b89e25\System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll

LoadedModule[30]=C:\Windows\system32\dwmapi.dll

LoadedModule[31]=C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\System.Runtime.Remo#\ad25afb3a0820b92f311d6897df82e5f\System.Runtime.Remoting.ni.dll

LoadedModule[32]=C:\Windows\system32\ws2_32.dll

LoadedModule[33]=C:\Windows\system32\NSI.dll

LoadedModule[34]=C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\System.Configuration\bef0bd98b9d5d323d693a9cda5facdf3\System.Configuration.ni.dll

LoadedModule[35]=C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\System.Xml\7a560781987776298120763de1df8f77\System.Xml.ni.dll

LoadedModule[36]=C:\Windows\system32\CRYPTSP.dll

LoadedModule[37]=C:\Windows\system32\rsaenh.dll

LoadedModule[38]=C:\Windows\system32\RpcRtRemote.dll

LoadedModule[39]=C:\Windows\system32\VERSION.dll

LoadedModule[40]=C:\Windows\system32\apphelp.dll

FriendlyEventName=Stopped working

ConsentKey=CLR20r3

AppName=FTX Central

AppPath=E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\OldOrbx\Scripts\FTXCentral\FTXCentral.exe

ReportDescription=Stopped working

Hey Daniel,

Could you run the Microsoft .NET 4 installer located here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24872 then reboot and give it another try?

If that doesn't work, could you please answer the following questions:

• Is FSX installed in the \Program Files\ or \Program Files (x86)\ folder?
  • Have you manually moved your FSX folder since it was installed?
  • Did you install your Orbx products, especially the latest version of the Orbxlibs with "Run as Administrator"?
  • What are the contents of FTXSettings.xml? (located here: "FSX\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\")

It sounds like either the .NET Framework is corrupt or there is a path problem.

Hello Phil--

Your line of inqiry appears headed in the same direction as my own.  A path or Registry or .NET problem seems a likely hypothesis.

I became suspicious of the references to .NET v2 in the error logs.  I blocked references to .NET v2 by changing the name of its folder in the Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 folder, and the symptom upon starting FTX Central 2 became "...Microsoft.NET v3.5-- is not enabled."  Attempts to enable it in the "Control Panes\Programs and Features\Turn Windows Features off and on" gave error messages that indicated my efforts had no effect.  I then attempted to reinstall .NET 4.5, and then remove and reinstall it, and then to clean and reinstall the whole .NET system using Microsoft and other tools.  No change in symptoms.

When I ran the .NET installer you pointed to on the microsoft support site, it stated--correctly--that a later version of .NET is installed, and did not run.

I presume that the reason FTX Central 1.0 runs OK is that it does not use .NET.  Correct?

So in answer to your specific questions:

1.  FSX is installed on a separate disk, under E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator  I am aware that installation in the C:\Program Files is a no-no.

2.  I moved FSX to its present location a couple of years ago and resolved all registry issues at the time--long before FTX Central starting giving problems a couple of weeks ago.  Just for grins, I ran the Registry Fix utility without any change in FTX Central symptom.

3.  I reinstalled the latest Orbxlibs with "Run as Administrator."  I also disabled anti-Virus software during the install.  No change.  Other Orbx products were not installed as Administrator.

4.  Contents of FTXSettings.xml follow:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<FTX_Settings>

<FSXRegistryKey>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0</FSXRegistryKey>

<FSXRegistryValue>SetupPath</FSXRegistryValue>

<SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX</SceneryCFGLocation>

</FTX_Settings>

I am next planning to do a Windows 7 64b repair from my installation disk.  This could fix .NET problems.  I then plan to retry the latest Orbxlibs, installing as administrator, and see what the symptoms and Error logs look like then.

I presume that FTX Central 2 is needed is to support Orbx Global, which I would very much like to have.  If FTX Central 1.0 will support Global and newer products, I can just arrange to always run Central 1.0.

Thank you for your help.  Presuming I need Central 2, do not plan to give up, and I will let you know what I find.

Daniel,

Here's another .NET Framework installer, this one is for v3.5. Could you give this one a try as well?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

Just to confirm, your Orbx folder is within this folder?

"DRIVE LETTER:\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0\"

I think you're on the right path, and after everything I'm beginning to think it's a .NET Framework issue like you are thinking.

I posted this item four days ago.  I have not received a response, so I have been pretty much left on my own to wrestle with this problem.  In case others see the same thing, here is what I have done and what I have seen:

1.  I have deleted all FTX areas and scripts (not airports) from both FSX Scenery and Orbx folders.  I have begun a reinstallation process.

2.  I first reinstalled Australia SP3 from disk.  FTX Central then resumed working, showing Default and Australia

3.  At each step, I saved the FTX Scripts folder from my FSX.

4.  I then attempted to update the Library to 20140601.  This broke FTX Central--would not start with error as above.

5.  I then deleted the Australia SP3, reinstalled and saved the FTX Central again.

6.  I then reinstalled Australia SP4--all patches, one at a time, saving FTX Central scripts.  Some weird errors on FTX Central, fixed by restoring from backup script folder.

7.  I then reinstalled NZ South, and then North.  Restored FTX Central script and executable to fix error as above.  Was please to see Oceania in FTX Central

8.  Patched NZ South and then North.  Restored FTX Central to fix error as above.

9.  Installed NA Central Rockies.  Pleased to see FTX Central run, and show North America.  Saved working FTX Central script folder.

10. I am proceeding to reinstall all of NA.  This will take a while, with Script Folder back at every stage.  Then I will move on to EU England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.

11. I am going to all this trouble because the FTX scenery is superlative.  That's why I paid US$1500 plus for it and airports.  I refuse to run FSX without it!

12. However, FTX product support must be charitably described as "drive by."  Anyone who objects to this characterization is invited to do better.

13. If this gets my post removed, then so be it.  It will only be a disservice to anyone else with this problem who needs a clue how to proceed.

I had the same problem with FTXC when i tried to instaii Global Iceland and i could not open FTXC which made things difficult because i also have lot of ORBX addons it turned out that I had downloaded the ON demo instead of the OFF demo so I downloaded the right and it works great.

Hi Phil--

I tried a system restore, but could only go back a week.  No change in symptoms.

Your link to .NET 3.5 downloads, but will not run--opens and then closes immediately.

I don't believe there is a path problem:  E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Orbx

I tried a Win7 repair, but it failed with an error.  

I don't believe this is an Orbx problem.  Instead, I believe that I have a system problem with .NET that can most likely only be cured with a fresh Windows install.  In the next few months, I plan to replace my 4-year-old FSX platform with a new one.  That will require a fresh install of bloody everything, and the problem will be gone.

.NET was at one time Microsoft's Next Big Thing.  But it has turned out to be a rather rickety structure.  Orbx may wish to rethink future dependence upon it.

In the meantime, I will reinstall all Orbx regions in accordance with the instructions earlier in this thread.  I will use only FTX Central 1.0 to manage the regions.  This will no doubt  prevent me from using Global, Vector, and follow-ons until I move to a new hardware platform and new Win7 install.  However, it will preserve my sanity for another day.

You may close this thread as solved unless you can come up with anything better than my Plan B of nukeing from orbit.  Many thanks for your help.

So your Orbx installation and FSX installation are in different directories?

If you can, I'd try to move the Orbx folder inside your FSX folder, which according to your registry is here: "DRIVE LETTER:\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0\"

If that's not correct, and FSX is indeed installed to E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator\ then that is most likely your problem, as FTX Central is looking for the other path. If this is the problem, use a registry tool such as the TweakFS Registry Utility available here: http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php to set the registry path to your FSX folder.

The .NET installer quitting without any error or dialog concerns me and lends to your idea that it's a system problem, but only if the above isn't the issue.

Hi Phil--

I agree that the symptoms I see may be consistent with a path problem.  I used the tweakfs utility to search the Registry, and both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER show the SETUPPATH correctly as E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\.

Just for fun, I used the mklink command in a Command Prompt to create a junction between the default C: FSX location and my location.  No Joy.

As I said, I am getting on with my life.  In a few months, when I have a new FSX platform with a clean Win7, I expect the problem will be gone.  Until then, I fly in FTX regions using FTX Central Build 1024.

Many thanks again.

---Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Phil and other good souls--

I have verified that my inability to run any FTX Central beyond 1024 was caused by a Windows 7/.NET 4.5 corruption.  I did this by doing an upgrade/reinstall of Win7.  When completed, it complained of a .NET 4.5 problem, and reinstalled that.  PROB:EM FIXED.  FTX Central 1043 now runs a champ, except for complaining of extraneous OFF files.  However, I know how to clean these up from info elsewhere in the Forums.

Unfortunately, my original Win7 installation disk would not do an upgrade/reinstall because it did not include Win7 SP1.  I could not remove SP1 from my existing system.  A slipstream SP1 disk will not do an upgrade/reinstall.  So I had to expend a Win7 SP1 install disk and license that I had been saving for my next FSX machine.  Oh, well. At least I will not need to build a new FSX machine or reinstall from scratch merely to have access to Global.

Many thanks to Microsoft Windows 7 for being such a pig and teaching me what is important in life!

Cheers and farewell--

---Dan

Archived