Orbx FTX Australia SP4 question

Republic3D

Hello!

I just purchased the Australia scenery because of the sale. I own all of the North America sceneries already and I've always been really happy with Orbx sceneries.

Anyway, I downloaded the file, extracted it fully.. then ran the application to install it. The unwrapper started, I inserted the registration info and it started installing. Suddenly there was a message to insert disc #9, but I just browsed to the folder where it was extracted and it found the file it needed. The installation continued without hiccups. Installed the latest libraries at the end (It didnt say anything about which region FTX Central had to be set to during the libraries install, so it was set to just Global/no hybrid). I don't think the disc #9 thing caused any problems since I was able to find what it needed.

I then set FTX Central to FTX Global and Hybrid mode with Lights and Roads and all that. I fired up FSX and started at YLEC Leigh Creek. The first thing I saw out the Cessna window was lots of red sand, so I thought to myself.. oh this seems nice. Then I look around, and I see only default FSX airport buildings at the airport itself. On all the North American sceneries almost every single airfield has some kind of Orbx thing, a pick-up truck, maybe a couple of aircraft, a building or two (that arent default FSX). Is it supposed to be like that? Anyway, I take off to get a better view of the area, and the surrounding land looks pretty good. I realized I should have flown there before installing, using only FTX Global so I could compare. Then I fly over a hill with a lake going up the hillside... it looks terribly wrong and completely ruins the experience of flying there. So I'm thinking, is that a bug? Did something go wrong? Is it supposed to be like this?

I then decide to start at YSCN Camden, and first impressions there are also not so good. Just default FSX buildings and no planes or trucks or anything. I know you're supposed to install airport scenery upgrades, but in all the NA sceneries the airfields are somewhat upgraded too. I take off and decide to fly towards Sydney to get a better impression of things. The area looks pretty good from the air, and there's a ton of autogen.. and the framerate is extremely good! I have it locked at 30 fps and it stayed very good all the time. I flew towards the skyscrapers downtown Sydney and it looks really great! I see ships, the Sydney Opera house, the bridge.. it all looks fantastic and the framerate still is excellent. I land at YSSY Kingsford Smith Intl and so far the airport looks pretty good too. The tower with the spiral thing is there and everything, so it seems like the libraries must have installed correctly.

So in the end I just sit here with these questions:

- Isn't there supposed to be upgraded features on the smaller airports around Australia? 

- Is the lake near Leigh Creek covering the hillside a bug?

I have FTX Global as well as the latest libraries (yes I always install it last), all the NA sceneries and now AU SP4 too. No mesh addon and no Vector or landclass.

Please, if someone suggests "download and install again"... is there a way to uninstall it first, or can I just install over the previous installation?

Australia pre-dates NA and at the time airports were not upgraded for regions, that was introduced with PNW. For your lake on a hill issue, do you have the freeware Holgermesh for AU installed? AU SP4 does not include mesh on its own, but you can download the freeware mesh from the freeware page:

http://www.fullterrain.com/freeware.html

Thanks for the superbly fast response! :) I do not have the mesh, so I'll go and download it right now. I knew the AU scenery was a lot older, and I was wondering if that was why the airfields were default. This explains the whole situation. I'm very happy now! Thank you!

Thanks guys, I'll check those out. :) I've installed the Holgermesh and it fixed the issue with the lake on the hillside. I also installed the Orbx freeware airports.

I have another issue though, and that's the PAPI/VASI lights are only showing white.. no matter the height or angle of approach. I've never had this issue before. The lights at YSSY flashed red a split second after I had touched down before going back to white again though.

Are you using any traffic addons like MyTrafficX? You may have duplicate AFX files, PAPI/VASI lights all white until touchdown sounds like the glidescope is set to 0 degrees in the active AFX file. That would match your situation since at 0 degrees your aircraft will always be higher than the glidescope until it touches the ground.

Is this at all AU airports, or just specific ones?

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is still there.. its kind of ruining the experience of flying in Australia for me. Do anyone have any suggestions?

Problem is VASI/PAPI lights always showing white, no matter the glidepath. They only turn red when I am down on the ground and near the lights/touchdown zone. Problem is only in Australia. I do not have any traffic packs installed.

Research along these lines. Australia has the early T style visual assist landing lights ( although they are gradually changing over to PAPI).

1/ from real pilots, does the real T style only show "red your dead"?

2/ does Microsoft only interpret T style as only having "red your dead"?

Archived