How would FPS change with different monitor sizes?

Its about the resolution, not the monitor size.

Example = 24 inch montior at 1920x1080 will be exaclty the same FPS as a 40 inch screen at 1920x1080

So it really depends on the resolution of your 19 inch monitor versus what you are going to replace it with.

Big difference when you use larger monitors!

My frame rates stayed the same coming from a 25 inch to a 47 inch LG TV!

Your rig would easily run three larger monitors in Nvidia surround!

O0

Three, huh? That's awesome! Until there's a frameless screen at a low price, I'd rather just get an ultra-wide. Wouldn't the ultrawide display more of the cockpit similarly to how multiple monitors would?

Three, huh? That's awesome! Until there's a frameless screen at a low price, I'd rather just get an ultra-wide. Wouldn't the ultrawide display more of the cockpit similarly to how multiple monitors would?

The problem is, the choice of so-called ultrawide monitors is very limited and mostly they are quite small. You typically get a 29" diagonal on a 21:9 screen, which is actually not that wide when you compare it to a three-screen setup. In your question you mention a '1080p ultrawide' monitor, which confuses me. 1080p will not be ultrawide display, it will be a regular 16:9 widescreen.

I've got a 27" Dell Monitor running at 1920 x 1080 resolution and to my mind it could only be visually bettered if there were three of them!

If I had more space that's what I would have.

My frame rates in FSX are fixed at 25 fps and that's what all my stuff runs at.

Its the one thing about my gear I wouldn't want to change!

John

The problem is, the choice of so-called ultrawide monitors is very limited and mostly they are quite small. You typically get a 29" diagonal on a 21:9 screen, which is actually not that wide when you compare it to a three-screen setup. In your question you mention a '1080p ultrawide' monitor, which confuses me. 1080p will not be ultrawide display, it will be a regular 16:9 widescreen.

This one here, http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM64-S-ultrawide-monitor

Looking at an LG 25 inch ultra-wide 1080p monitor. Currently have around a 19 inch old dell monitor.

For those who've gotten new monitors, how does FPS change? Does it lower or just stay the same?

I agree with the comments above. It's the res that's important, not the monitor size. With your graphics card you'd have no trouble running a large monitor.

Note that if you use multiple monitors, that can affect the frame rate, I've noticed that when running two monitors in the past, but again, with your card and cpu you should have no problems.

I think some of the people who've replied above didn't realise what an ultrawide monitor is. To clarify, it has a resolution of 2560 x 1080, which is 21:9 or 2.4:1, the same aspect ratio as most movies.

Fortunately for you, I have a 21:9 monitor so I have actual experience of these. My first thought is that the 25" you linked to is rather small. The important thing is dot pitch, i.e. the size of the pixels on the monitor. I have two monitors, a 24" 16:10 and a 29" 21:9. the dot pitch on my 29" is slightly smaller than my 24", which means that when comparing a 1080p video on both monitors, the image size is slightly smaller on the 29". It's only a slight difference, so it's not a problem. However, with a 25" it would be a lot smaller, so not only would the overall image size be smaller, but so would the text, making it harder to read (and more fiddly to read and control dials in the cockpit).

If I were you I'd seriously consider going for a 29" instead. The 25" ultrawide would be roughly the same width as a standard 24" HD monitor, but would have much less height. There's a few 29" models available, after reading reviews I opted for the Dell, which has better connection options at the back and a better stand (with adjustable height). It also has the option to split the screen into multiple segments, as many as you want (there are presets and you can customise your own layouts). It's also has a well calibrated sRGB factory preset (if that's important to you) and it has a hardware mode where you can switch it to 16:9 standard HD (with black bars on the side), which is very useful for certain games that won't run properly in 21:9 (most will, but some get really screwed up).

It's this one. The price is £320 on Amazon UK, but I bought it from them last year for only £240. I don't know why the price has gone up so much. I'm guessing you could find it a lot cheaper if you shop around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2913WM-Widescreen-2560x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B00ADHLSMO

Here's a good review of it:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2913wm.htm

Now this is a critical point. I've never run FS with multiple monitors so I don't know how they handle the width, but what I've noticed with many games, and FS too (I think, but not 100% sure), is that the maximum zoom width stays the same, but it chops off the top and the bottom of the picture, so you actually see less onscreen than if you were using a 16:9 monitor (although it is larger). For example, in Civ 5, when I zoom out all the way, I get the same width on both monitors, but I see more of the map on my 16:10 monitor, while I get larger hexes on my 21:9. That's not true of all games though, I've seen comparative screenshots that show extra width on many FPS games for example.

*IF* this is the case with FS, then you'd see more onscreen if you bought a larger 16:9 or 16:10 monitor (e.g. 2560x1440 or 2560x1600). But as I say, I'm not 100% sure about that. I'll have to test it. Does anyone else know more about this?

As it is, I'm usually flying zoomed out to the max (0.30x) and even then I don't get enough vertical height on some virtual cockpits. This is definitely something to consider before making a decision. I'll try to test this soon and get back to you. I'm not sure how multiple monitors handle the views, is it a single wide image or is each monitor set up for a different angle of view?

I'm still very happy with the 29" Dell though.

I agree with the comments above. It's the res that's important, not the monitor size. With your graphics card you'd have no trouble running a large monitor.

Note that if you use multiple monitors, that can affect the frame rate, I've noticed that when running two monitors in the past, but again, with your card and cpu you should have no problems.

I think some of the people who've replied above didn't realise what an ultrawide monitor is. To clarify, it has a resolution of 2560 x 1080, which is 21:9 or 2.4:1, the same aspect ratio as most movies.

Fortunately for you, I have a 21:9 monitor so I have actual experience of these. My first thought is that the 25" you linked to is rather small. The important thing is dot pitch, i.e. the size of the pixels on the monitor. I have two monitors, a 24" 16:10 and a 29" 21:9. the dot pitch on my 29" is slightly smaller than my 24", which means that when comparing a 1080p video on both monitors, the image size is slightly smaller on the 29". It's only a slight difference, so it's not a problem. However, with a 25" it would be a lot smaller, so not only would the overall image size be smaller, but so would the text, making it harder to read (and more fiddly to read and control dials in the cockpit).

If I were you I'd seriously consider going for a 29" instead. The 25" ultrawide would be roughly the same width as a standard 24" HD monitor, but would have much less height. There's a few 29" models available, after reading reviews I opted for the Dell, which has better connection options at the back and a better stand (with adjustable height). It also has the option to split the screen into multiple segments, as many as you want (there are presets and you can customise your own layouts). It's also has a well calibrated sRGB factory preset (if that's important to you) and it has a hardware mode where you can switch it to 16:9 standard HD (with black bars on the side), which is very useful for certain games that won't run properly in 21:9 (most will, but some get really screwed up).

It's this one. The price is £320 on Amazon UK, but I bought it from them last year for only £240. I don't know why the price has gone up so much. I'm guessing you could find it a lot cheaper if you shop around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2913WM-Widescreen-2560x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B00ADHLSMO

Here's a good review of it:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2913wm.htm

Now this is a critical point. I've never run FS with multiple monitors so I don't know how they handle the width, but what I've noticed with many games, and FS too (I think, but not 100% sure), is that the maximum zoom width stays the same, but it chops off the top and the bottom of the picture, so you actually see less onscreen than if you were using a 16:9 monitor (although it is larger). For example, in Civ 5, when I zoom out all the way, I get the same width on both monitors, but I see more of the map on my 16:10 monitor, while I get larger hexes on my 21:9. That's not true of all games though, I've seen comparative screenshots that show extra width on many FPS games for example.

*IF* this is the case with FS, then you'd see more onscreen if you bought a larger 16:9 or 16:10 monitor (e.g. 2560x1440 or 2560x1600). But as I say, I'm not 100% sure about that. I'll have to test it. Does anyone else know more about this?

As it is, I'm usually flying zoomed out to the max (0.30x) and even then I don't get enough vertical height on some virtual cockpits. This is definitely something to consider before making a decision. I'll try to test this soon and get back to you. I'm not sure how multiple monitors handle the views, is it a single wide image or is each monitor set up for a different angle of view?

I'm still very happy with the 29" Dell though.

That 25' would be fine for me. I'm coming from an 18' so anything will be better.

That 25' would be fine for me. I'm coming from an 18' so anything will be better.

Fair enough, but it does seem a little strange that you have such a powerful system yet you've skimped on the monitor. It's so long ago that I had a monitor that small that I can't even remember what size it was (may have been 16" or 19", I'm not sure), wasn't that back in the dark ages? ??? I'd check out that monitor in a shop first though if that's practical for you, you might be surprised at how small the text will be with a resolution that high.

It's funny how different people prioritise different things. Up until a few months ago I was making do with a 7 year old computer running Win XP, but upgraded with massive hard drives and multiple large monitors. I never seemed to rate the CPU and graphics card as being that important. Go figure... :wacko:

Fair enough, but it does seem a little strange that you have such a powerful system yet you've skimped on the monitor. It's so long ago that I had a monitor that small that I can't even remember what size it was (may have been 16" or 19", I'm not sure), wasn't that back in the dark ages? ??? I'd check out that monitor in a shop first though if that's practical for you, you might be surprised at how small the text will be with a resolution that high.

It's funny how different people prioritise different things. Up until a few months ago I was making do with a 7 year old computer running Win XP, but upgraded with massive hard drives and multiple large monitors. I never seemed to rate the CPU and graphics card as being that important. Go figure... :wacko:

I kind of wish I had XP on my rig. Something about it just seemed so classic and beautiful in a very strange way! Too bad compatibility issues exist.

I kind of wish I had XP on my rig. Something about it just seemed so classic and beautiful in a very strange way! Too bad compatibility issues exist.

When I bought my new computer I had the option to move everything to the new computer, but instead I opted to keep my old computer in service. So I'm now running a two computer system, my new super-duper computer running Win 7 with the 21:9 monitor and my old computer running XP with my 16:10 monitor. I'm also going to network them together.

I'm actually writing this on my XP computer, which is more of a "work" computer. It's still fine for running most software and accessing the internet, and great for running many older games which have compatability issues with Win7 (or just plain won't work).

Right now I'm only using the new computer for FS and modern games that need a lot of power (like racing games). I'll also be using it for music and video editing, but I haven't got that set up yet.

If you set [Display]WideViewAspect=True you will be able to zoom out further. In fact you have succinctly described FSX's zoom behaviour with this flag set to False (default). If you change it to True FSX will chop the edges off with zooming, not the top and bottom. With multiple monitors it is conventional to use a single view across all three screens, particularly if you use unrealistic zoom values. This has the unfortunate effect that the wider you go, the more distortion appears at the extremes. It used to be that multiple 3D windows killed frame rates, but some claim to run three separate views successfully. This is also how Wideview works, although it runs each view on a separate computer.

I am tempted by the 21:9 monitors now they are coming down in price, but I wish they would do a slightly bigger one.

If you set [Display]WideViewAspect=True you will be able to zoom out further. <snip>

Oh great, thanks for that, very useful to know!

I am tempted by the 21:9 monitors now they are coming down in price, but I wish they would do a slightly bigger one.

Is 58" big enough for you? Same resolution, but 4 times the area!

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-XVT-Series-21-Cinemawide/dp/B008ESGRX4

I really want a frameless monitor to be released. See, I like the idea of multiple screens, but in something like Flightsim it's just in my opinion ugly and obstructive having a line down your display. 

I'm saving for a mechanical keyboard right now, so it'll be awhile before I get a new monitor unfortunately. 

Coming from multiple screens, I must admit they were a little more immersive. However the larger screen allows me to see detail  never possible with the smaller LCD's! 

I can now fly without my cheaters! Big plus!

If I had your rig, and the room and the money...

...three medium grade (LG,  Samsung) 42'' monitors...OR...one larger CURVED screen!

Happy flying,

O0

I really want a frameless monitor to be released. See, I like the idea of multiple screens, but in something like Flightsim it's just in my opinion ugly and obstructive having a line down your display. 

Regarding the Dell monitor I bought, it's marketed as being virtually frameless (it's about 3mm) but there's a border (10mm) at the edge of the LCD itself, which is normall covered by the frame, so it's not really frameless at all.

Archived