I've got a brand new joystick

John York

I had my Microsoft Force Feedback joystick for years and years but it packed up a few weeks ago.  It was a joy to use and I knew I would never see the like again.

However, I searched the web companies and have finally invested in a Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS System.  

Now, the bad things first;

If you already have a Saitek throttle quadrant like me, you would hardly want a new one.  Well, this joystick only comes with the two so that's a waste of money.  Of course, as you would expect, its got all the bells and whistles on it, but what it doesn't come with is a third lever which I find very useful.  Its also very stiff to use, so no good to me with my weak hands!

The really great thing though is the joystick.  It doesn't have a force feedback facility but my goodness, its got everything else, including the facility to change to different sized springs which adjust the tension in the stick.  You can even use it without a spring.  I tried that, but it was just too sloppy for me so I've fitted the shortest spring and that suits me fine.  Just the right amount of tension to have a resistance but not enough to make Helicopter flying especially, a struggle.

And you would not believe the number of buttons and levers they've put on it.  The beauty of most of the buttons is, they have built in them a four-way system so that you can have four different operations all using the same button.  Brilliant.

The price isn't so bad either if you count the throttle in it, but I think it's a bit steep if you're only using the one of them.

Anyway, I'm now fixed up and with luck this piece of equipment will see me out. ;D

John

Hi JonnY

I've always liked Saitek stuff.for what you pay you get  very well made equipment.

I've had my saitek Yoke and throttle since they came out and it still works perfectly.

jonnY i reckon you'll see this new joystick off and be looking for a new one in years to come :)

steve

It was the Saitek UK site Rick via MadCatz Europe who billed it.

For once it seems we've got something quicker than you lot. ;D  However, Amazon are listing it for pre-order delivery in July.

John

I'm looking at picking that set up, as my second set of X45's is kind of used up.

Having said that, John, look at the bottom of the base on the throttle quadrant, I know that's where my X45 throttle has a friction adjustment screw so you can set how much resistance you want the throttle to have.

I checked the information for the X55 online and it stated they had friction adjustment for them.

Good luck setting the friction and I hope you enjoy them as I've enjoyed using mine. :)

Hi Sundog

There's no friction setting on the Rhino Throttle quadrant.   It doesn't matter though 'cos I'm not using it.  Firstly I haven't got the space and secondly. I much prefer my Saitek Throttle Quadrant with the 3 levers.  The left hand (blue) one gives me feathering.  Just right for hele' flying.  Well, getting it down really!

John 

Archived