Flying conventions in Australia

Alexander Metzger

Hi,

Comming from Europe and exploring Australia, I would like to know some of the general flying rules:

1. Which is the default transpoder coder for VFR?

2. Do you use general transition at 18.000 ft (like in the US) or do you use individual TL depending on airport altitude and pressure (like in EU)?

1. VFR default transponder code is 1200

2. The "Transition Layer" exists between the "Transition Altitiude" of 10000' (determined from the local QNH),  and the "Transition Level" of FL110 to FL125 (at which your altimeter is set to 1013HPA). The "Transition Level" will vary depending on what the QNH is, so that the Transition Altitude and the Transition Level do not meet.

Welcome to the confusing Aussie skies.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi,

Comming from Europe and exploring Australia, I would like to know some of the general flying rules:

1. Which is the default transpoder coder for VFR?

2. Do you use general transition at 18.000 ft (like in the US) or do you use individual TL depending on airport altitude and pressure (like in EU)?

1. VFR default transponder code is 1200

2. The "Transition Layer" exists between the "Transition Altitiude" of 10000' (determined from the local QNH),  and the "Transition Level" of FL110 to FL125 (at which your altimeter is set to 1013HPA). The "Transition Level" will vary depending on what the QNH is, so that the Transition Altitude and the Transition Level do not meet.

Welcome to the confusing Aussie skies.

Cheers, Steve.

What exactly is the QNH? Since I started using RC4, I've been wondering about that.

Detailed explanation HERE  but in short it is the Barometric pressure set for each area and this is then set on the altimeter, if NOT known then the Barometric is usually set to Sea level and the Altitude of the Aerodrome used from your charts.

Oh ALL circuits are 1000 Ft AGL and they MUST be Left hand ie turns to the LEFT this is a given.

Any anomalies should be stated in the ERSA  En-Route Supplement Australia,  such as right hand cuircuits for particular runways  due to traffic conditions or terrain etc   

Circuit heights are generally accepted as being

Helo's                    500 ft AGL

Power Single Engine 1000 ft AGL

Power TurboProp    1500 ft  AGL

I've not checked of late, these circuit heights might be incorrect.

Yeah, some circuit directions change at a particular time of day to prevent flying over houses at night. Details are in the ERSA.

The reason for left hand circuits is because the pilot sits in the left-hand seat and therefore can see the airport out of his side window.

The left-hand seat is probably used because of the predominence of  US built aircraft and the fact they drive on the wrong side of the road.  ;D

Archived