openLC: Will it affect VAS usage?

demio

Hi,

been browsing through those openLC screenshot threads und really looking forward to the release - so much, as a matter of fact, I've been postponing flights over Europe so as to fully enjoy the new visuals :)

But at the same time I've been worrying about what the greater number of landclasses and textures will do to the VAS usage. I - and I'm sure a number of other FSX users out there also - am at times scraping at the limit of what FSX can handle in terms of memory usage - and that's with DX10 and without overdoing it with the FSX settings.

So, I guess my question is: Has the testing team been observing higher VAS numbers with openLC?

Regards,

Dimitri

• 3 weeks later...

They're just reorgazing or replacing existing textures, so I don't see how this increases memory load substantially. Personally I don't understand why people always seem to run out of memory, I never had that issue and also I make use of heavy add-ons.

They're just reorgazing or replacing existing textures, so I don't see how this increases memory load substantially. Personally I don't understand why people always seem to run out of memory, I never had that issue and also I make use of heavy add-ons.

True, but if I gathered correctly, where there used to be 5 regions and texture sets, with openLC there will be over 40, meaning THEORETICALLY there's potential for problems. But of course I could be wrong, and if someone i.e. from the beta testing team confirms they haven't noticed anyhting, I'll be a happy camper ;)

Regarding the OOMs: At least in my case I'm sure there's room for optimization.

Edit: Thanks John for your answer!

It would not matter if we added 5,000 new texture sets, FSX/P3D will only ever use a fixed number of ground textures within your current field of view and draw horizon. I can assure you openLC has zero impact on VAS.

Vector on the other hand affects VAS due to the increased amount of vector data being called, that's a known fact. If there are VAS issues with Vector simply use its Configurator to remove the more denser items.

FSX/P3D will only ever use a fixed number of ground textures within your current field of view and draw horizon.

Did not know that. That's good news, thanks! Really looking forward to openLC!

Archived