Is it just my perception....

martinc

As a long time FS user...I have this vague notion that with the exception of ORBX and VOZ and people like Holger S and a few others...There doesnt seem to be the enthusiasm from a development POV for FSX in Australia that there was for FS9 and its predecessors...especially from the point of aircraft design. Maybe its just my brain melting down because our work aircons on the fritz for the third day in a row......Can you say overheatedmonitor...

Oh, well...just ignore my fevered ramblings...

I think you're right from an aircraft and particularly individual freeware aircraft developers POV.  The darn thing has become so complex now that it takes extraordinary dedication to produce something these days so there is probably a valid expectation that that amount of effort should in some way provide a return to the developer.

I don't think that the ACES studio have helped matters much by botching in some way, the release of FSX and having three versions with dubious backward compatibility between them.  It must make it particularly difficult for developers to constantly update their products for to suit the new SP's especially when the developers try to leverage their FS9 offerings and not create a true FSX SDK version from the start.

I understand that ACES will review the whole backward compatibility thing during the development phase of FS11 which IMHO will sound the death nell for even more freeware developers and possibly some smaller payware vendors.  Mind you, the cream always rises to the top and the really good guys both freeware and payware will always find a receptive audience/market for their offerings.

My personal opinion is that we have arrived at a real watershed in our hobby.  Like some sports, the cost of participation will be greater, but the potential for enjoyment will be even greater.  Just look at what Orbx is about to provide us.

Yeah, That was my feeling. A lot of people i dealt with in the fs9 era seem to have dropped off the scene for just that reason.

MMM, ACES.....Its all a bit untidy....Which leads onto another point worthy of discussion...is Acceleration..worth the bother of obtaining if you dont have DX10...Anybody have any opinions?

Yeah, That was my feeling. A lot of people i dealt with in the fs9 era seem to have dropped off the scene for just that reason.

MMM, ACES.....Its all a bit untidy....Which leads onto another point worthy of discussion...is Acceleration..worth the bother of obtaining if you dont have DX10...Anybody have any opinions?

Acceleration adds some new missions and aircraft and also bundles SP2, which IMHO is mandatory. However, ACES have released SP2 as a standalone free download, which I 100% recommend, since it fixes a bunch of performance issues. Another plus about Acceleration is that there is a raft of very nicely modeled new autogen objects and buildings which will make adding your own scenery much nicer, if you're into that sort of thing.

I have got FSX Acceleration and i think its good, that gives me SP1-SP2 installed.

But the problem with SP2 is with my add-on plane packs,Airbus 1 Delux: Legacy : CitationX :Pilatus pc12 ect,

when installed gauges missing: outside texture on plane missing and lots more.

nobody can tell me when they will be up graded.

Microsoft is still behind the eight ball with Vista:FSX and FSX sdk.

Cheers....

JohnG.... :-*:-* :-*

John, i guess this happens only in DX10 mode ? A lot of 'old stuff' isn't compatible with DX10, but luckily we can run it still DX9. I was on the Acceleration beta test and have to say, that you get an incredible amount of scenery, models and missions for 30 bucks. Each aircraft alone is worth more than that (this Hornet is by far the best fighter out there, hands down...). And i really enjoyed those missions  :).

Heiko

Acceleration adds some new missions and aircraft and also bundles SP2, which IMHO is mandatory. However, ACES have released SP2 as a standalone free download, which I 100% recommend, since it fixes a bunch of performance issues. Another plus about Acceleration is that there is a raft of very nicely modeled new autogen objects and buildings which will make adding your own scenery much nicer, if you're into that sort of thing.

John,  are you using any of those new Autogen objects in FTX?  If so do I have to get accelleration to view them?

Cheers

Chris

John,   are you using any of those new Autogen objects in FTX?  If so do I have to get accelleration to view them?

We were awfully tempted ... some of the new condos and apartments are beautiful, just works of art. But sadly no. When creating addons you must always write to the lowest common denominator, and that means FSX RTM, not even SP1.

Pilatus pc12

Johng, I have the Flight1 PC12 which works fine under FSX/A SP2. No missing gauges or any problems. If you are having problems you need to confirm -

You have the FSX version of the PC12 and I think they have released two updates for it now. Of course if you don't have the Flight 1 version just disregard this.

Barry thanks for your post.I have the Flight1 FS2004 disc and down loaded the FSX

upgrade patch,second install,evrything seems to be there.

The co-pilot's side has two blank gauges,is that right.

I prefer to have the software all in one with out patching.

Cheers....

JohnG....

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to criticise FSX too much (considering the forums we are on) but the more I use it the more it feels like FS9.2. I know there are features in FSX that enable packages like FTX to be produced and markedly improve the visual experience over anything we've seen before but I just hope ACES are as brave as they say they're going to be with FSXI. If I understand things correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong), they're going to write FSXI from the ground up with no backward compatibility but with a much more advanced engine. This will undoubtedly cause huge problems for the addon community but must be a good step for the long-term health of the FS franchise.

Im not sure that it will be a complete re-write as I have not seen anything written or uttered that is so conclusive.  I think that guys like Phil Taylor from ACES studio have certainly indicated that backwards compatibility as is understood now will not be the same.  I would suggest that there will be a significant improvement in the graphics engine, but in terms of aircraft visual and flight modelling, world/earth modelling, autogen etc from FSX, while not perfect, has much that can be and will be ported over to the new version.

Cheers,

Archived