P3D Demo Installation for Non-FSX Owner?

I am a P3D v2.2 owner and do not have FSX on my machine.  I installed P3D_FTX_NAPNWDEMO_200.exe since it is supposed to be compatible with P3D.

The install went smoothly except for the installer complaining that "there is no FSX entry found in the Registry".  As a result the installation of FTX Central did not complete properly. 

When I fly from any of the airports located within the demo coverage area the scenery rendition is excellent, as advertised.  However, when I fly from within to beyond the coverage area the default scenery looks terrible and never seems to recover.

I understand that FTX Central is supposed to circumvent this problem by allowing the user to switch back to default scenery when leaving the coverage area.

Is there some way to enable FTX Central for a P3D-only setup?

Thanks, 

Warren

Greetings Warren,

Unfortunately there may be a slight misunderstanding here. FTX Central allows the user to MANUALLY switch between the demo area and the default region BEFORE you start P3D. It doesn't change the textures "on the fly" within the sim. Having said that, sometimes you can kludge the installation process by making a copy of the P3D.exe file and then renaming it to FSX.exe.

You might be interested to know that the full FTX Pacific Northwest package, w/P3D v2.2 installer, is only US$23.42 at the Flight Sim Store..... Well worth the cost in my humble opinion.

I run P3D 1.4 for all the US stuff that hasn't been converted yet and 2.2 for the rest of the world. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Brian

Hi there,

yes, you need to uninstall the demo first. Since the uninstaller probably won't work with P3Dv2 you can follow the steps for a manual uninstallation here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/30377-uninstalling-na-regions-a-quick-guide/

Obviously, the main folder would be "Prepar3D v2\" not "FSX\".

Cheers, Holger

Archived