Best airports to use in Iceland

malibu43

Hey folks,

I wanted to explore the Iceland demo area a little more, and I was hoping people could share which airports in the demo area are good ones to plan some flights to or from.  I know nothing about the region.

Maybe share which airports you favor or use most, and also what it is about it them specifically that you like (looks good, challenging to get in or out of, surrounding geography, etc...)

Thanks!

BIIS Isafjordur landing on runway 8 is good fun in anything up to Dash 8 size. You could also try a flight from BIAR Arkureyri to Reykjavik or BIEG Egilsstadir to Reykjavik - these are real world flights by Air Iceland and take you over the interior.

Similarly you can depart west from BIHN Hofnafjordur and fly along the coast next to the glacier Vatnajokull until you come to BISL - some of the most spectacular scenery in the country including the glacier lagoon Jokulsarlon (although no icebergs in this scenery). The south of Iceland in general following a VFR flight along the coast from BIHN to Reykjavik BIRK will give you some great views - follow the road (there's only one) - I have been lucky to drive along this many times.

There is also an airstrip BITM Thorsmork (Þórsmörk) which is in between 2 glaciers and just under the Eyjafjallajökull volcano. You can fly out of there and head west to Reykjavik or east along the cost towards BIHN. 

And so on ;-)

Great country to fly over - even Keflavik is great if you have the Aerosoft scenery - goes well with the Orbx scenery.

James (1/2 Icelandic)

Archived