The things you see in the outback.

martinc

Pulled off the strip at the Nullabor roadhouse to meet some friends...

Posted Image

For the edification of our foreign guests who may not have visited the outback.

1. Its hot

2. Its flat

3. It has peculiar residents. These are the mysterious and sometimes dangerous Nullabor chickens...Now Nullabor chickens are large and stupid and they cant fly, but they can run like a train...You're asking, whats the point of a big, stupid bird that can't actually fly. Well, let me tell you the Nullabor chicken lays the biggest eggs you've ever seen, i mean we're talking OMOLETTE with a capital O here.

we had an Emu egg in the house for years (15?), when you shook it it made a clunky sound that used to scare the bejeesus out of me, one day I had a whoopsa and broke the egg, I ended up with a hard hairy tennis-ball-sized egg yoke in my lap...and the smell was to die for....

A mate of mine used to have an Emu farm at his parent's property near Point Cook.  He gave me a blown egg.  I'm pretty sure my mum still has it.  My mate reckons an Emu omelette will feed a family of 6 with leftovers!

I nearly hit a family of emu's on my trail bike a couple of years ago in the Big Desert..  I was going flat out and they ran out of the scrub in front of me and jumped the fence on the other side of the track.  There were a few little ones that went under the fence at an alarmingly high speed... One didn't make it through, and ended up very tangled and confused in the fence wires for a little while.  It kinda made me chuckle a bit...

I was once driving between Mt Walker and Lake Varley in the WA Eastern Wheatbelt on some gravel road when a huge mother of an emu came crashing out of the scrub straight for the car.  I braced for the impact, but he turned and ran parallel with the car alongside for I reckon close to 100m and his head was way over the top of the car roof.  I'm not sure how fast I was traveling, but he seemed to keep up with ease.

I had to stop just up the road to change my dacks...

Archived