A question regarding case fans and air flow...

Mac_Maddog88

So, I just got my new case fans..

2 Bitfenix Spectre Pro 230mm to replace the front and side 230mm fans. 

And 4 Corsair 120mm LED fans to replace the rear 120mm fan and the top 230mm fan.

So, I'm wondering how you guys thought it'd be best to configure these.

Here's the interior with my messily drawn err, "labeling" in paint. Hope you all can read!

If it's hard to read,

Top - 3 Corsair 120mm fans

Back - 1 Corsair 120mm fan

Side - 1 Bitfenix 230mm fan

Front - 1 Bitfenix 230mm fan

0v8dIwn.jpg

Positive pressure.. Negative pressure... Oh how numb my brain is!

Can somebody tell me short and too-the-point what the best way to arrange the fans for best airflow would be? 

Thanks!

-Mac

I'm sure you'll get as many different answers as there are responses to this thread ;)

Personally, I like to avoid positive or negative pressure in the case... It reduces the efficiency of the fans and means they have to run harder (and therefore louder). A simple way to make sure you have a nice constant pressure flow is simply to count how many fans blow into the case (intakes) vs how many blow out (exhausts). If they're the same, you've got constant pressure. If you have more intakes than exhausts, you've got positive pressure, and more exhausts than intakes means negative pressure.

A 230mm fan will give approximately double the flow if a 120mm.

If it were me, I would say your fan arrangement is spot on... Just make sure both the front and side fans (your 230mm fans) are set as intakes, the set your remaining (top and back) as exhausts... This should give you a nice constant pressure flow from bottom to top, taking cooler air from lower down and circulating it across your components before venting out higher up.

Make sure you run your power cables (and any others you can) behind your motherboard too to remove any obstacles to the air flow too...

I'm sure you'll get as many different answers as there are responses to this thread ;)

Personally, I like to avoid positive or negative pressure in the case... It reduces the efficiency of the fans and means they have to run harder (and therefore louder). A simple way to make sure you have a nice constant pressure flow is simply to count how many fans blow into the case (intakes) vs how many blow out (exhausts). If they're the same, you've got constant pressure. If you have more intakes than exhausts, you've got positive pressure, and more exhausts than intakes means negative pressure.

A 230mm fan will give approximately double the flow if a 120mm.

If it were me, I would say your fan arrangement is spot on... Just make sure both the front and side fans (your 230mm fans) are set as intakes, the set your remaining (top and back) as exhausts... This should give you a nice constant pressure flow from bottom to top, taking cooler air from lower down and circulating it across your components before venting out higher up.

Make sure you run your power cables (and any others you can) behind your motherboard too to remove any obstacles to the air flow too...

Thanks for the response! Will do!

-Mac

I have the coolermaster HAF 912.  What works very well for me is a 230mm fan on the front blowing air in.  Another 230mm fan on top blowing air out.  A 120mm fan on the back blowing air out, and another 120mm fan on the side blowing air in.  I also have the Hyper EVO 212, with two 120mm fans in push pull, with the direction of flow towards the back fan.  I have been very successful with that setup, and have had my 3770k overclocked at 4.7 or 4.8 without having temps go too high.

In other words I agree with the above post, side and front fans for intake.  Top and back fans for exhaust.  

I have exactly the same case.  Front fan pushing in  Side fan pushing in , Power supply fan drawing off floor and blowing out the back,  The fans in the top of the case are about as useful as an ashtray on a Motorcycle unless you have a H100 in which case they do their job,   I have a H80 and I have 2 fans on it One drawing air out of the case (fed by the side fan) and the other in the back pulling air out.

Incidentally I have used a number of cooler's over the years and IMHO the Corsair Hydro Series cooler's are the BEST value , now admittedly I live in the Snowies but my CPU is seldom above 45-50 Deg and is currently sitting at 35 average across the Cores and a physical contact thermometer conforms this.  

There is absolutely no substitute for Airflow  because if you don't have airflow you have stuff all cooling. This also applies to the PC Case location, and getting Air in and around but also the warm air away. 

Hi Mac

I'm in complete agreement with Rob, your full height tower will give you a substantial volume of cooled air, along with the recommendations from Rob & Maurice for placement of the fans,cooled air in at the bottom & front & hot air out at the top & back. Assuming that your PSU will be at the bottom of the case it will receive first grab at the incoming cooled air and will also become an 120mm exhaust fan. Remember the golden rule (Hot air rises, cold air sinks) Your chosen case design is good, it will allow you to hide most of your cabling providing little interference to air flow around the case.

Edit: a little positive pressure, (slightly more blow than suck) will also help to keep the dust bunnies at bay.

Cheers Jeff

The most efficient way to get air into and through the case is by forcing it in,, Hot air leaving is less dense and the fans don't move hot air as efficiently.  One of the things I'd be doing too is a Modular PSU that has a fan in the side , in this case on the bottom of the case  and ejects hot air to the rear. 

The most efficient way to get air into and through the case is by forcing it in,, Hot air leaving is less dense and the fans don't move hot air as efficiently.  One of the things I'd be doing too is a Modular PSU that has a fan in the side , in this case on the bottom of the case  and ejects hot air to the rear. 

Never knew they made ones that were mounted sideways. My PSU is also modular, so mind explaining this?

When I say sideways I meant in the bottom sorry, my Power Supply has a fan in the bottom of it and as such I placed the PSU in my case so that rather than draw already warm air from the inside of the case as was the usual method, it drew  cool air off the floor and passed that directly through the PSU.  

Archived