Am I missing something

tony.turner509

I have just purchased Orbx - ENGLAND for MS FSX and although it may be a bit early to express my thoughts, I am rather a lot disappointed in the purchase.

Apart from there being no Old Warden/Shuttleworth Airfield (where I used to fly into in reality) included, the residential area around Northolt Airfield (where I used to live) could be anywhere on the planet, I upgraded from MFS 2002 with VFR Photographic Scenery and British Airports by Just flight, and as MS 2002 say, it would seem that "It's as good as it gets". I have some screen shots to show comparison but there doesn't seem to be a facility to upload them on this Forum.

Or is there something that I am missing?

"Or is there something that I am missing?"

Yes, the fact that Orbx make is abundantly clear that their scenery is not "photoreal". Apart from roads and rivers being fairly accurate, the towns and villages are "representitive" of the real thing..Teecee.

Hello Tony,

Some screen shots would be perfect, How to do this is contained in this link: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Comparing FS2002 with FSX & Orbx is hardly a perfect scenario, chalk & cheese really, I have had a look at some screen shots from other users, there is no comparison, like Teecee says, Orbx sceneries are not photoreal overlays. To say this could be anywhere on the planet is untrue.

Please can we see some of your screenshots to determine you are not missing something.

Also is this your first FTX Orbx purchase and have you opened "FTX Central", and applied the Europe region then clicking the APPLY button to activate the Europe Region. Have you installed the Latest Orbx Libraries upon installation of FTX England.

EGTH Old Warden would naturally be included in the FTX English Region in standard enhanced format , but for an enhanced highly detailed version of the EGTH Old Warden airport, you would have to purchase FTX EU EGTH v1.0 as listed on fullterrain.com product page or FSStore  Orbx listing.

Hi  Tony,

Well, now you have me wondering also, why no EGTH.  I'll have to dig into why I didn't do it with all the others and it definitely should have been done as it's very clear in GE.

Cheers, Neil

EDIT: OK, I see ORBX has a payware version of EGTH so that is probably why ENG left it out.  I would encourage you to see about obtaining it as it would be MUCH better than anything I could have done.

Hi Jeff and Neil,

Thanks for your replies. This is my first FTX Orbx purchase and I did opened "FTX Central", and applied the Europe region. Well without checking I believe it was the Europe icon, it was the one on my right, before clicking the APPLY button. I also believe that Latest Orbx Libraries have been installed if the ones that came on the disk are the latest!

Here's the screen shot if it uploaded correctly.

9RS0.png

With reference to Old Warden/Shuttleworth; I couldn't find it listed, so I flew from Little Gransden to Sandy Airfield/Long Acre Farm, which I just recognized being very familiar with the place. From there I flew a bearing of 016 degrees M for a couple of miles and the only visible 'airfield' as such had three runways which was a bit baffling as Old Warden has only two. But I will look again.

Hi again Tony,

Ok, I figured out what the story is.  FSX has placed EGTH (under the name Hatfield) very far from it's current location, perhaps caused by a ICAO transfer to a different airport.  When I looked around where FSX put it and there was no airport I minimized what was there to just the airport marker, nothing more.  FSX isn't allowing me to move to the new/correct location so I think your answer is to get the payware version.

Cheers, Neil

Hello Tony,

Just doing a little followup with your question, and found these 2 interesting links, Friedi Gulder and Greg Jones offer some interesting background to the Old Warden topic and some insights as to how it works with FSX and FTX England,

The solution is FTX EU EGTH.  Listed as "Hatfield"  ICAO - EGTH.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65498-ftx-old-warren-question/?hl=hatfield

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/56142-old-warden-icao-code-eg2j/?hl=hatfield

Archived