FTX "Old Warren" question...

sagginb

I was thinking of taking advantage of the new lower prices on a couple of the EU airports.

So with the other airports I have picked up...I like to fly a little in the area before just to check it out.

My 1st flight was to try out EGTH..so I typed EGTH and it came up as "Hatfield"...expected "Old Warren".

I then started FSX and was parked beside a bunch a buildings with no airfield in sight...not sure I could even move the plane. :-

I was wondering how this works with the FTX "Old Warren" airfield...is there a problem with EGTH in default FSX?

I then flew on an old PC that has 2nd FSX install running just default FSX and typed in EGTH and there was an airfield and all looked fine..did this change with FTX EU England?

Thanks for any info on this topic... ^-^

Did you install with FTX Central set to Europe?

also did you check that you have all the updates and patches for the UK scenery packages?

last but not least make sure to run the latest Library files after install of older airfields

all available here => http://fullterrain.com/support.html

Thanks for the quick reply Wolter. :)

Should I have posted this in the support forum or is this ok here?

Yes I have tried both Europe and Global (Hybrid)...I have tried to reinstall Europe with all 3 patches and updated Libs to 130909..humm

Thanks for the reply... 8)

So to understand correct...

I did just search for Biggleswade in FSX and found nothing...but will once I get EGTH "Old Warren" it will be there?

So I can't try out the area until I buy that airport?

Just to add...

At some point in the not too distant past (ie after FSX was released) Hatfield (EGTH) was closed and is now bulldozed. Just to confuse everyone the code EGTH was assigned to Old Warden about 50nm south from memory.

This caused a huge technical problem when implementing Old Warden into FTX England as it previously did not exist - the data for Hatfield is contained within the core FSX files which cannot be modified (at least not without wiping half the airports in the south of England!). However, a bit of wizardry solved the problem.

The short version is that if you do not have Old Warden installed you will still have a listing for Hatfield, but there are no airport buildings or runways (as in current day real life). Once you install Old Warden, Hatfield will disappear and the code EGTH will take you straight to Old Warden (again as in real life)!

Greg - SIM720

Just to add...

At some point in the not too distant past (ie after FSX was released) Hatfield (EGTH) was closed and is now bulldozed. Just to confuse everyone the code EGTH was assigned to Old Warden about 50nm south from memory.

This caused a huge technical problem when implementing Old Warden into FTX England as it previously did not exist - the data for Hatfield is contained within the core FSX files which cannot be modified (at least not without wiping half the airports in the south of England!). However, a bit of wizardry solved the problem.

The short version is that if you do not have Old Warden installed you will still have a listing for Hatfield, but there are no airport buildings or runways (as in current day real life). Once you install Old Warden, Hatfield will disappear and the code EGTH will take you straight to Old Warden (again as in real life)!

Greg - SIM720

Thanks Greg for the follow up...I started to kinda think something like that happened.

It's great work.... ::)

I found out the hard way that it wasn't there.  I flew for about an hour following a road atlas to find the place (having been there in real life) but...nothing!  Oh well, I found some other neat fields to explore instead :)

• 1 month later...

An interesting conversation that has cleared up a few things for me; the "Hattfield" call sign for example.  

If I can offer my 2 cents (or perhaps 2 pence)  . . .

I started a VFR flight from Shoreham (EGKA) on an Iris PC-9 using my handy FSWidgets ESB with Europe ONC as my guide (not linked to the computer as that's not truly VFR   :)  )  EGTH showed up when I turned on the Airports in ESB - a little VOR-VOR flight, with a short excursion to buzz the tower of London, then back on course and . . . it was't there.  Both ESB and the FSX map showed me right over it - nothing.  Next, I plotted a flight using FSX flight planer.  It too me to a point farther north - where Google Earth with the ORBX EU overlay (kmz file) shows Old Warden to be - if you zoom in, there it is.   Flew the flight and it dropped me right on top.  I botched the landing but that's another story.

If you take the coordinates of the FSX airfield EGTH and look at it in Google Earth you get (drum roll) the now suburban community called "Hatfield" - replete with street names like "Tiger Moth Way", "Nimrod Drive" and (my favorite) "The Runway".   Mystery solved.  I know that there is a way to get into the FSX airports BGL file and get rid of the no longer existent Hatfield in the database - but now I think the solution, its not "worth the powder"

Hats off to the ORBX gang for an elegant solution to the issue. . .and for providing such a beautiful airport!

Cheers!

Archived