Moved House - System Gone Crazy!

Old Archie

After a recent house move, upon powering up the system, the green lights under the dvd drives flash, I get a blink of the red hdd working light, but then nothing, it just sits there, fans running, but nothing else, it does not try to boot at all, there is nothing going to the screen, and no power to peripherals.  Now, this is a new system, and in the move I was very VERY careful in moving it (I carried it myself to the new house), on odd occasions (very odd) it has booted and runs fine, but then the next time I try and start it, nothing at all again.  Sometimes it boots but gives a bsod message System_Exit_Owned_Mutex error, I have googled this but most solutions require you to get into the system to try a fix, I cannot even do that 9 times out of 10....

So, dead or dying mobo, cpu, ram???  Any clues before I set fire to it and claim the insurance?  ;)

Can you get to the BIOS settings??

If you can, reset them to defaults and try to reboot. Then if that works, boot into Windows safe mode to see if there is a driver issue....

It is doubtful that drivers and other stuff will be effected by the move unless the case and as a result the hard drives were subjected to some sort of vibration or shock loading (rattles the Heads and hammers the platter's) but as Spud and Appliance have pointed out the VERY first thing I'd be checking is EVERY connection from the PSU through to the sound output,  be methodical and work section by section, I feel sure you will find the cause of your angst .

When my pc was built it was run on test for twenty four hours by the guy who built it with no problem, when it arrived at my place the next day it would not show anything despite booting up the drives all flashing anyway turns out the Graphics cards had become unseated you could not see this but when pushed firmly back into the slots and re booted hey presto away we went with no problem so yes i agree look at all the connections and cards and everthing else and make sure they are all pushed home.

cheers

Iain.

Sorry it took a while to get back gents.  Opened up the case, removed and reseated everything I could, checked all the connectors and made sure they were seated properly, put her back together and she fired up straight away first time.... but, BUT, after that next time I tried, same deal, however it only took 2 goes to get it going, and this now seems the norm, if it does not start straight off, I just push the power button off and then on again almost immediately and it generally fires up, once or twice it has taken 2 or 3 goes..... gremlins or something else?  Maybe it just doesn't like it's new abode.......  ;)

Intel Main board ?

What happens if you just arc it up and go have a coffee ?

because of my large HDD's sometimes my unit takes 5 Mins to fire up due the haveing to rescan the Drive allocations esspecially if I've swapped out my backup drive ( it is hot swappable BUT I NEVER do it )

, BUT, after that next time I tried, same deal, however it only took 2 goes to get it going, and this now seems the norm, if it does not start straight off, I just push the power button off and then on again almost immediately and it generally fires up, once or twice it has taken 2 or 3 goes..... gremlins or something else?  Maybe it just doesn't like it's new abode.......  ;)

Hi Archie,

Reminds me of a similar problem I had a few months ago, had my box to an experienced tech who had it booting OK every time, but would only boot every third or fourth go when I got it back home. On realiziing the problem still existed I started from scratch and noticed that the main 24pin power plug, although quite tight and apparently seated firmly in the board (having been pushed down firmly at least six times), had a hair breadth gap between it and the plastic fitting it was pushed into. To close this minute gap I inserted a plastic keytag the correct width under the edge of the mobo to stop it from flexing, and used extra pressure,which fixed the problem. I now keep the keytag in my computer toolkit and have also used it to advantage when pushing the pins home on CPU's in flexible boards. Just on the off chance....  ;)

, BUT, after that next time I tried, same deal, however it only took 2 goes to get it going, and this now seems the norm, if it does not start straight off, I just push the power button off and then on again almost immediately and it generally fires up, once or twice it has taken 2 or 3 goes..... gremlins or something else?  Maybe it just doesn't like it's new abode.......  ;)

Hi Archie,

Reminds me of a similar problem I had a few months ago, had my box to an experienced tech who had it booting OK every time, but would only boot every third or fourth go when I got it back home. On realiziing the problem still existed I started from scratch and noticed that the main 24pin power plug, although quite tight and apparently seated firmly in the board (having been pushed down firmly at least six times), had a hair breadth gap between it and the plastic fitting it was pushed into. To close this minute gap I inserted a plastic keytag the correct width under the edge of the mobo to stop it from flexing, and used extra pressure,which fixed the problem. I now keep the keytag in my computer toolkit and have also used it to advantage when pushing the pins home on CPU's in flexible boards. Just on the off chance....  ;)

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go  ;)

I had a similar problem (I think) and I eventually found that it only occurred when I was over keen to get going and started using the mouse before the startup programs had loaded. When I left it alone to complete the boot up (after entering my password) all was well.

Aybe

Yeah, i had to reseat everything too after carrying the PC around in the car...

If you have further problems after moving house, check your electric system there. Is the ground o.k. ? Is the current stable and strong enough ? Btw, do you use a good (!) UPS ?

No UPS mate, just a big ass power board with spike protection (it cost me about $150 If I remember correctly).  It seems to come and go, but I have discovered that my volume control box for my Altec Lansing Speakers is playing up ('on' button will not stay depressed, have to really jam it down and hold it for a few seconds to stay on) could this be sending some sort of electrical gremlin up the line?

Not sure, but i can imagine that a buzzing contact can't be good.

When one of my aircon compressors engages, the UPS is working hard to stabilize the current. I am pretty sure that i would have problems without UPS. Specially an overclocked PC is quiet sensitive to a dirty current - the PSU alone probably won't be able to compensate (not sure if it even does)...

Archived