Good helicopter?

drwalker

I am thinking seriously about moving into the world of eggbeaters. Can anyone recommend a good, detailed heli add-on? I am very happy to use payware. I currently use the Saitek yoke/throttle - would I be better off with my old joystick combo for heli flying? Thanks!

The EC135 from Nemeth designs is a very popular payware helicopter, however Aussiecop, Gizmo and Butch have been making a high definition paint scheme pack that totally transforms the default FSX Bell 206 helicopter, so theres some choice for you.

Russ.

I'm waiting on Aerosofts new Bell UH-I

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=18527&hl=bell+Uh-l

These are on my shopping list as well.

http://flightsimstore.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=2_82_83_89&products_id=621&osCsid=vctku1lv9p2bj0nf4cctqn88s4

http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=1009

There are a lot of members here into choppers.  They can give you more detailed advise on the best freeware or payware versions than myself..

They will know whats good and whats bad..

:)

.........enter rotorhead! I would have to agree and recommend the EC135 from Nemeth, the Blackhawk from Alphasim is also really good.  It depends what you are wanting really.  If you are learning helo's then you cant go past the default (of course with our HD upgrade, due out soon) as it has everything you need and as you get more comfortable you can up the realism.  once you are comfortable with that and you want more of a challenge I would definately recommend the just flight Schwietzer 300CBi its handling is the most realistic compared to RL (I have flown this one in RL and the sim) and on the horizon dodo sim is hopefully within the next short time releasing an FSX native Realstart 206 which is the most realistic helicopter I have seen for the sim hands down.

Another vote for the Just Flight Schweizer 300CBi - it's a lot of fun and a great model.

The EC-135 is pretty good too - nice VC and gauges.  I just wish it had autoflight like the real one (I'll be shot down for saying that).

I bought the Aerosoft Jayhawk and personally found it useless - really bad on frames, stuttery, and shimmery gauges in the VC.    .....but others love it.

The Nemeth CH-53 is good fun too if you want a big, meaty helo !

But I also agree with the others - The default FSX Bell is actually pretty good for a default.

Myself im just learning to fly these eggbeaters as you put it, But i would hang back a short while before spending cash as the default Bell 206 is coming soon with HD Paint i find this quite easy to control and dont think it will tax you to much and will look fantastic with the new paint, other than that i also like the 135 EC from Nemeth i find this another good aircraft but you have to buy this one. So i dont think you will go far amiss waiting for the Bell to roll out after all its already there in your FSX . Then if you want more the 135 or what ever you decide on is there for you to buy.

cheers

Iain.

After getting my helo wings completing the FSX missions I couldn't help buying the EC-135 from Nemeth Designs. It is beautifully done, includes different versions, plenty of repaints on the Net and you can do a cold start (I just love pushing its buttons!)  ;D

On the downside, most of the navigational instruments are useless to me, they're just too small. That's not a big problem for me, I just use the 'copter for VFR, but keep it in mind if it's important to you.

Regards,

Juan Andrés

I regard higly the freeware Piasecki H-21 "Flying Banana" from over at Hover Control; but also the default Robinson and Bell 206 are great (even better with the HD paints that are coming!)

The Piasecki is special though, with the Vertol model able to float, and having wheels I found it forgiving on those landings where I still hadn't quite stopped in the hover first! Lots of detail!

I'm interested in the advice of a payware helo though, as I'm also looking to purchase something! ;D

Posted Image

Also - great looking and functioning freeware BO-105 PAH from Sim Out-house too!

I regard higly the freeware Piasecki H-21 "Flying Banana" from over at Hover Control; but also the default Robinson and Bell 206 are great (even better with the HD paints that are coming!)

The Piasecki is special though, with the Vertol model able to float, and having wheels I found it forgiving on those landings where I still hadn't quite stopped in the hover first! Lots of detail!

I'm interested in the advice of a payware helo though, as I'm also looking to purchase something! ;D

Posted Image

Also - great looking and functioning freeware BO-105 PAH from Sim Out-house too!

This helo is absolutely fantastic!  I can't comment on flight dynamics or anything as I'm no real world helo pilot, but the model and texturing on this is grade A for a freeware!  It definitely appears to be a labor of love from its creator.  A good variety of models as well, and fantastic views from the virtual cockpit.

does anyone know who does a good chinook model, or if anyone is making one?

the only fsx native is one by ukmil the 2 at hovercontrol are portovers and dont run too well in fsx as they havent been updated

otherwise if you dont want gauges and want blade bleed throughs go the HC ones

and on the horizon dodo sim is hopefully within the next short time releasing an FSX native Realstart 206 which is the most realistic helicopter I have seen for the sim hands down.

I had never heard of or seen that before.  Looks really interesting to say the least.  My only concern is the rotor texture... ugh they HAVE to do better than that for the release.

Archived