Emigrate FSX/FTX to a new drive

aeugli

Please experts, can you help me!?

I want to buy a fast VelociRaptor 150 GB drive and emigrate FSX/FTX (nothing else) without reinstallation to that new drive (only one partition). At the moment FSX/FTX sits on C: togehter with my XP pro and all other programs.

Should I do that (for improvement or savety or anything else?) can I do that and how can I do that?

Every comment, feedback or information would be nice and appreciated!

Cheers Rainer

Hallo Rainer,

Hasst Du dies schon gesehen => http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?board=72.0 ;)

To answer you question, yes it is possible, see this post by John Venema about the subject ;)

There is no need to reinstall FSX at all.

Here's the procedure:

1. Install your new drive (assume it's called D:)

2. Format to NTFS (you can do a quick format)

3. Create these three folders on the root of D: (the second and third folders and child folders)

Program Files

Microsoft Games

Microsoft Flight Simulator X

4. Copy the entire contents of your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X  folder into the same named folder on your new D: drive

5. Go to Start Menu, select 'Run' and type in regedit

6. In the left panel of regedit, navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

7. On the right panel, you will see an entry called AppPath - double click on it

8. Now simply edit the 'Value Data' and change the C: to D: and click on OK

9. Exit regedit

That's it!  Now every program which uses FSX will know where to find it.

Of course, your desktop icons will now still be pointing to all the programs in C:, so just right click on the FSX and FTX Mode icons and change the path to be D: instead. You should now have migrated FSX to a new drive.

Hallo Wolter,

yes I´ve seen the new german-forum, thanks for the hint again and "alle Achtung, daß Du Dich erinnerst, daß ich eigentlich nur Deutsch spreche!" (But I want to do my exercise in english :))

And of course, many thanks for the post by John. I had in mind something like this already read in the forum, but couldn´t  find it anymore - but you are here/there and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks again  - and i will try my very best to do the planned job.

Cheers Rainer

Hallo Wolter,

thanks for your toi,toi,toi. The job isn´t done cause the velociraptor (uuuaaahhh...) will arive today/tomorrow.

But just another clarifikation: John speaks in his post: COPY the entire contents of your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X  folder into the same named folder on your new D: drive

I don´t want to copy, I want "verschieben" (shift!) to the new drive - so that FSX/FTX has vanished from C:!!!

Can I do that ??? ???

Please give me a reply

Thanks and Cheers Rainer

Hallo Wolter, hallo Maurice,

after I moved the FSX-Folder to my new drive (I did it exaxtly as JV posted and I changed the FSX entries in the registry both in HKEY_Current_user... and HKEY_Machine...), different issues came up (may be I don´t know it all yet):

1. I cannot start any engine of any aircraft (default/payware) despite my saved standard flight. What I can do is, load a saved flight with the engine "on" at first, after that I can start engines of other airplanes (most of it are still running; that´s different too: before the move they were all off at the beginning of the flight).

2. Despite of one (may be more?) aircraft: my Pilatus P12; what ever I do, I cannot start the engine; sometimes after that trial FSX shut down; sometimes without anything, sometimes with the MS announcement to tell it MS.

3. My moving maps are gone; I only see a map of the whole World with a tiny small blue aircraft near by my present location.

4. My 2D-Panel is gone (I see the terrain without anything else); I have the VC and all other locations in the cockpit but no "D-Panel;

May be there are other issues I have not seen yet (I just make the change last evening/night); I will report ;)

I´m not desperate at the moment, more a little bit amused about all the strange things. I may learn a lot with that - and may be with your kindly help ;D

May be a Erdinger (beer) may help too, Wolter!

Best wishes to you both and everyone who can help ::)

Cheers Rainer

If it is a Trial version  which you didn't elude to earlier then this is most likely your trouble. The trial version has been knobbled (restricted ) in many areas.

Any additional Aircraft etc might need to be manually edited for them to work the F1 PC12 will certainly be one of these. As for the 2D cockpit that is strange and seems to indicate that you may not have copied everything completely cleanly.

Now all of your stored files your going to have to edit, these are your FSX config and other FSX stored files in the Docs and Settings or User /  Application Data area to reflect the drive change as well.

Hello Maurice,

thanks for your answer. I don´t know what you mean with the trial-version. I never had such one - all stuff I have is regular/normal/full-version of everything (payed and registrated and so on).

I will editing all the FSX files in in the Docs and Settings or User/Application Data area as you proposed - may be this will help. Thanks for that tip.

Rainer

Given the crankiness of FSX, my suggestion is to reinstall FSX completely on the new drive.  (After uninstalling and rebooting of course).

Its a pain in the fundamentals but FSX needs to be reinstalled from time to time, so just treat this as an opportunity.

It is better on a separate drive from the OS so good decision.  But if you can afford it, get one of the new 10000rpm drives like the Western Digital Vraptor and see performance improve.

Thanks maccau, for your kind reply.

I thought same by me, really it is a opportunity to do a new beginning with FSX. I will wait for the FTX-DVD (much easier reinstall of all the phantastic FTX-Stuff).

And of of course... my new drive is a WD VelociRaptor 150 GB ;D; it´s really a performance improve; my testing are showing 106 MB/sec average reading speed.

Rainer

Archived