selective disabling of North America sceneries?

mslim

OK disclaimer:

I'll start off by admitting I have a lame system.  It was bought as a business machine and I got hooked on FSX and have nursed it along.  I'm a retired guy living from SS check to SS check so a cool 64bit gaming powerhouse is not an option.

I bought PNW, NRM, CRM, and Cushman Meadows.  I run my graphics settings as recommended in PNW Version 1.0 User guide with the exception of a locked 20fps and 5m mesh resolution.

I have my FSUIPC set to show the VAS in the menu bar.  I load North America through FTX Central and I start out with 1598700 before FSX loads. After I load in a flight from KPAE to KCLM in a Aerosoft Twin Otter X I have about 658224 left.  I take off and start flying and the VAS diminishes until I get an OOM crash at about 414932.  I don't have OOM's with the Twin Otter in other sceneries.  The only prior OOM's I have had have been with the MilViz B55 flying in Aerosoft's LA Cities X.

My question is this: 

Would it help to disable the NRM and CRM sceneries if I am only flying PNW?

If so how would you go about doing this?  Change an .exe extension to .off?  Disable unwanted sceneries in the FSX scenery library?

This is important because I would like to purchase Northern California but I don't want to do it if my system is already overtaxed by the other ORBX areas.

Thanks.

Hi there,

the FSX display engine is quite clever in regards to what scenery files it loads and when. It uses nested geographic grids to decide how far out around the user aircraft it should display scenery files and then quickly searches the small headers of all potential files to determine whether a particular file gets loaded or not. In other words, if you fly in the San Francisco area then FSX won't load any Portland area files, or Seattle or Spokane. Thus, it's unlikely that deactivating non-local add-ons will make any difference to scenery loading times or FSX performance.

As for our regions it's easy to experiment yourself as you just have to temporarily deactivate the four entries per region in the scenery library menu, e.g.,

FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY

FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX

FTX_NA_PNW07_MESH

FTX_NA_PNW08_CUSTOM

Note that each time you run FTX Central and select North America it'll re-activate all installed regions automatically.

Cheers, Holger 

Archived