FTX Aero Question

Mark Bennett

So I'm wondering if I am expecting too much from FTX Aero. I was under the impression that enabling the other choices besides "default" in FTX Aero and by purchasing S45 to unlock the functionality that all of my other runway textures in PNW, CRM, and NCA would look like more the ones at Bowerman and S45. Instead no matter what I do with my settings all of my asphalt runways (other than Bowerman and S45) look like this...

SGXg.jpg

My question is this normal or is something wrong with my FTX Aero?

Looks correct to me...

FTX Aero simply applies a "bump" overlay to whatever surface is visible in the simulator.

Bowerman and S45 are custom airports with custom made Ground polygons (essentially the whole runway and taxiway network is a 3D model of the the airport, textured with hand crafted runway textures). which is why they look much nicer... All the other "non-custom" airports in PNW use the default FSX runway system... We add more details and more accurate layouts, but the runways are going to still look like FSX runways... With the FTX Aero bump texture overlayed of course ;)

Sorry Rob ;)

FTX Aero provides a replacement runway texture (made by Tim Fuchs from REX for us actually) for the default asphalt runways - so any airport that uses 'Asphalt' will show it, Bowerman is actually an airport that makes use of this

And the detail (cracked/coarse/ fine etc..) layer is applied only on to photoreal or landclass ground texture - which you'll see on the aprons/taxiways at Bowerman, and the surrounding photoreal

Your picture does not show the AERO texture

It should look something like this:

(1024x1024 version)
WSuX.jpg

To use this texture, open up FTXcentral>>Tools>>FTX Aero >> Runway 18 Texture >> tick box marked '1024x1024', press Apply, then load up FSX at KHQM and see if yours looks like mine

I actually just installed the latest Orbxlibs before I tried what you said. And no matter what settings I choose in Aero nothing changes at KHQM. The runway is same on default, 1024, and 2048. I'm also noticing that all of my roads appear to be grey concrete instead of black asphalt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its not changing, try right-clicking on the FTXcentral icon on your desktop >> Properties>> Compatibility >> tick box marked 'Run this program as an administrator'

Also, the location of your FSX install can have some bearing on this, is it in the default location.... Program files/ etc..? if so this can cause some problems due to windows security being high in this area

Try right-clicking on your main FSX folder>>Properties>>Security>> ensure that all users have full control to edit, modify, write, read and execute etc...

The operation that AERO does is as simple as moving a texture file from one folder to another

Tried all the stuff you suggested but no joy. I have my FSX folder at the root level and the permissions were correct.

I just decided to use FTX Central to go back to default scenery to see what runway texture was getting used at KHQM and was greeted with this fine mess...

SM5D6.jpg

I think I may have gremlins in my texture/scenery folders!

Well thanks for all the help Tim and Rob but I'm afraid I am going to have to spend a day reinstalling FSX/FTX/aircraft and see if that helps because I just did a stupid thing and changed my FSX folder from read only to not read only and then back and I broke everything. FTX Central is hosed with exception errors now. Live and learn from my mistake people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim if your still around...Help!

I did a complete uninstall of everything then a fresh install of FSX/Acceleration, PNW and all updates, latest OrbxLibs, and S45 at the root level of my hard drive. UAC is off. I set my FTX Aero on all the settings but I still have the same default FSX runway textures at all my airports except S45.

5kde1.jpg

Is there some way I can try to manually move the textures that Aero is supposed to move and see if I can enable it?

Hi Mark,

In the picture above you do not have my freeware KHQM Bowerman installed, I suggest installing that followed by the Orbxlibs again, and see if it changes as this airport was 'told' to use it

I'm not sure which texture the 'PNW version' of Bowerman uses, but I'm guessing its not the Aero one

P.s: S45 has a custom groundpoly for its runway which does not make use of the Aero runway texture, and it is also not required to use FTX Aero as it ships free with the Orbxlibs

I uploaded the texture here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6flk84n2k0zli4y/runway18.zip , to manually use it...download, unzip, and drop into FSX/Texture

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

FXT-AERO upgrades the default 'Asphalt' runways (like REX does), so if the airport in question uses the default APX runway it will work on that

The ground detail works the same as the default FSX one, it simply applies a gritty or grassy texture to the ground (only on photoreal or landclass surfaces) depending on your selection

Archived