Favorite NCA airports

Griphos

Just checked out KPVF and it looks pretty nice.  Well, I also checked out KBLU and thought it looks ok.  I'm interested to see what the OrbX'ified version looks like (it's in the roadmap).  KAUN (Auburn) was a nice little stop too.  I flew by the previously mentioned O61 on approach to KPVF.  It did look nice, but I was quite confused by nearly half the runway being marked up with arrows pointing to the threshold.  Not sure if that's a bug or if it's really like that.  FSX claimed it was a 4K foot long strip, and nearly half that was those markings making it more like 2000-2500 "officially usable" length.

Starting to get some repeat appearances, so those come doubly recommended. I'm still exploring. When I've hit most of them, I'll add a post with them all listed together. So keep posting the really special ones for us to explore.

Many thanks for this usefull thread - I'm trying to decide if I want to get NCA and maybe this info will help......  Howard

Has nobody flown out to KAHC or H37 to see Honey Lake or the Sierra Army Depot yet? I've had my eyes out for screenshots for a while now :)

Not yet, I'll have to check them out.  I've been trying to find some local airports around the Sacramento area to change my "base of operations" to because while I would normally use KSAC my system doesn't handle the dense urban area that well in NorCal vs. default with Global.

Google Earth is your friend 8)  :) !

I did some looking and found yeah it's actually like that and apparently that kind of marking means you can use the full 4000 feet to take off from, but landing you must land on or after the "displaced threshold" that is in the middle of the  strip.  Apparently if you are landing from the opposite direction though you are allowed to use that area as part of your rollout as needed.  That was from a site talking about runway markings and how those arrows point to a displaced threshold.

Not yet, I'll have to check them out.  I've been trying to find some local airports around the Sacramento area to change my "base of operations" to because while I would normally use KSAC my system doesn't handle the dense urban area that well in NorCal vs. default with Global.

I did some looking and found yeah it's actually like that and apparently that kind of marking means you can use the full 4000 feet to take off from, but landing you must land on or after the "displaced threshold" that is in the middle of the  strip.  Apparently if you are landing from the opposite direction though you are allowed to use that area as part of your rollout as needed.  That was from a site talking about runway markings and how those arrows point to a displaced threshold.

have you tried Lincoln-Harder airport .its on the outside edge of the town of Lincoln Ca...30?miles north of Sacramento along SR-65,or follow the UP rail line from the roseville yard,theres a wye on the east end of the yard,at the start of donner sub,which leads north to Lincoln and eventually Marysville ,just south of there,in Olivehurst is the Yuba County airport,it has long runways like Lincoln,and was where men like C.E.Bud Anderson (P-51 Old Crow) trained in the P-39s,Beale AFB is east of this airport.and there is also the nevada county airport..its a calfire air attack base..S2T's T-88 and T-89,along with AA-230,there is a USFS bird there too most of the summer..but its type changes depending on fire size and location in the west,there is a contract helicopter at Whitecloud as well for you heli nuts..

Hi Alex,

Has nobody flown out to KAHC or H37 to see Honey Lake or the Sierra Army Depot yet? I've had my eyes out for screenshots for a while now  :)

here's a lovely tour of your great work on the photoreal areas including a brief glimpse of Honey Lake and the Army Depot at 0:50

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/75021-na-gold-northern-california/

Cheers, Holger

have you tried Lincoln-Harder airport .its on the outside edge of the town of Lincoln Ca...30?miles north of Sacramento along SR-65,or follow the UP rail line from the roseville yard,theres a wye on the east end of the yard,at the start of donner sub,which leads north to Lincoln and eventually Marysville ,just south of there,in Olivehurst is the Yuba County airport,it has long runways like Lincoln,and was where men like C.E.Bud Anderson (P-51 Old Crow) trained in the P-39s,Beale AFB is east of this airport.and there is also the nevada county airport..its a calfire air attack base..S2T's T-88 and T-89,along with AA-230,there is a USFS bird there too most of the summer..but its type changes depending on fire size and location in the west,there is a contract helicopter at Whitecloud as well for you heli nuts..

Yep, found it later this afternoon after I posted that.  I was debating that one or a couple in the Woodland/Yolo county area.  I settled on Lincoln over the others because it has a nice length of runway and one end has an ILS in case I need to "return home in bad weather" :)

Has nobody flown out to KAHC or H37 to see Honey Lake or the Sierra Army Depot yet? I've had my eyes out for screenshots for a while now :)

I did explore those right after you mentioned them. I don't do screenshots though.

That's some interesting and lonely looking country tucked away up there in the corner of this scenery.

Archived