Eurogamer first look at FTX Global (Danish)

John Venema

Hard to use google translate on a video review ;) . I liked what they wrote in the text intro to the video "It gives Prepar3D(and FSX-If there is anyone that still flies it) a whole new look". Even the danish gamers seems prepared 8). The video review is nice for those who can speak danish, norwegian and swedish. Thanks, It was nice to see a review in a language I can relate too :smile:. Can add that the reviewer was very very enthusiastic/exited about FTX Global,Vector and LC.

What I also liked not just about that review is the site you linked too have many intresting reviews on Flightsim addons, and that is very very rare on gaming sites (the site is mainly a gaming site). They said they normally don't review DLC/addons but they had made an exeption for FS addons. They even reviewed P3Dv2 and went as far as calling it a "game":D(I suspect they have an entuisiast among them wanting to attract more people into flightsims).

I find that it's a good thing that gaming sites does things like that, because it "promotes" flightsims that many people wouldn't even have heard of, and may help in attracting more people into the hobby, recruiting among the gamers. And this site kinda favored P3Dv2 because of the new eyecandy that may attract gamers  which are useally very picky when it comes to graphics. Volumetric clouds, HDR and stuff like that is something gamers have been used too for years, and for them to have a flightsim that does not have such basic things is a major downer.

Imagine if big gaming sites like IGN, Gamespot would have done things like that(promoting flightsims and addons for it). That could have gotten us more recruits into the hobby and make the addon market grow in the future. I came myself into this hobby from gaming 2.5 years back, and had no idea that one could make FSX to look as good as it does today, was infact very sceptic in the beginning because it was such an old SIM and the first impression(graphicly), well wasn't exactly exagerating(but I was impressed about all the stuff going on under the hood, like physics and simulation of the whole world). I was lucky and stumbled over some videos on youtube with a "pimped" up FSX and that sold me to continue my intrest in simming(Didn't even know it had such a big addon market, I tought FSX was just FSX).

And I think if more people knew how it can look they may have reconsidered trying out flightsims(we need better marketing). The day FSX dies could be a problem for us simmers and addon devs because we don't have a SIM anymore that is being markeded for hobbyists hence bringing less new "blood" into FS, even now FSX marketing is almost none existant and one would have to be an FS/Aviation entusiast to even know about it.

Sorry for my rambling but that link kinda triggered me ::)

I wonder if that review will filter through to their English language website? They certainly used to have one, back in about whenever Microsoft FS2000 came out (1999?) I was on team speak chatting with an FS friend and noticed they were running a competition with the Pro version of FS2000 as a prize (those old releases had massive paper manuals) Eurogamer were asking for witty captions and I could not think of anything so I asked my friend for a caption and sent it off, lo and behold I won!

But yes, I've always been pleasantly surprised how Eurogamer write serious flight simulation articles.

Archived