Darwin to Katherine (Tindal AB)

John York

Using the Mooney this was quite a long flight for me;

Having just seen the film 'Australia' Darwin was quite appropriate although I must admit it was on the next stage of my journey.  Nice place I thought, and the film was excellent.

Posted Image

The navigation was VFR following partly the road and the Adelaide River although I did cheat a bit by cutting off some of the wiggly squigly bits of both

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not sure but I must be getting a bit close to the Red area here?

Posted Image

Had to get the sun in as it was such a nice day

Posted Image

Coming in to land in the middle of nowhere, I was astonished by the number of roads and the amount of traffic here.  Nothing else to do probably but drive around! ;D

Posted Image

Well, I'm waiting for the fuel now.  Not really interested in the long walk over to the base.  It must be just about the most boring posting the AAF can have.  A bit like Jabiru I suppose, simply a way station or fuelling stop on the way to somewhere else.

Posted Image

My next flight is Katherine to Kununurra and from there I'll be hugging the coast again which I'm hoping will turn out to be more interesting.

John

Thank you ImageShack

Hi Alex

Road traffic at 20%.  I don't mind a lot of traffic but there were an awful lot of roads too.  God knows where they were all going!  The only airfields I have are the Orbx ones and V2 OZx.

I thought the pictures were a bit dark myself.  I'll have to watch the 'curves'. ;D

John

Well, I'm waiting for the fuel now.  Not really interested in the long walk over to the base.  It must be just about the most boring posting the AAF can have.  A bit like Jabiru I suppose, simply a way station or fuelling stop on the way to somewhere else.

Nice shots John but I think you will find Tindal is a pretty busy place (note the Golf Course and Sporting fields, all on base). A lot busier than the FSX default which has half the taxiways missing :)

Posted Image

Thanks for that tip chaps about Anthony's Tindal and Anthony for your web site link.

I might well avail myself of your generosity Anthony.  Your Tindal looks so much better and Darwin is also of interest.  Many thanks.

Before I start messing things up though, I have to ask if any of your work coincides with OZx or ORBX?  And what steps do I have to take if it does, or will it simply overlay the others?

Best wishes

John

The only thing that overlaps is Warnervale in Vol 2. I have set it up so the normal installation will not install my Warnervale. If you want my Warnervale you have to do a few more steps in the installation process but as your sig says you already have the ORBX Warnervale you shouldn't need to do anything. Full instructions are provided in the manual. Other than that there are no conflicts. All my stuff is designed to work with FTX and OZx (it's what I have in my system so why would I try to mess it up?).

Thanks for the very prompt reply Anthony and for your reassurances.  Please don't take offence.  I obviously didn't word my questions very diplomatically.  I wasn't questioning you and your work at all.  It's simply that I have a propensity for mucking up things I get my hands on.  In fact one of my friends calls me 'Mucker' as a nick-name!  What I was concerned with, not having read the 'read-me's, was that I might, through ignorance, mess up something I already had.

I have downloaded all the zips 1 thru' 5 to my 'H/Australia' disc and will now start installing them.  I'm really looking forward to going back to Darwin for that flight to Katherine again but I think I'll wait for your 6th package and then I can spend some time there to see what those airports and their immediate areas should really look like.

Many, many thanks Anthony.

John

This is getting to be like a bad serial.

I've installed all five now  ::) but dammit I won't be able to fly using them until after the weekend.  We're off to London to celebrate my wife's birthday.  Don't know what there is to celebrate, she's 75 on Saturday! ;);D

John

PS - I know that No.6 is nearing completion.  When it is, will you post it's availability in the forum Anthony?

I might just have time.  Thanks Terry

John

PS-No I don't - b.......r!  It's gone from 550+ this morning to 21 KB/Sec this afternoon.  I'm not sure if it's Avsim in Canada or the Americans slowing it down although its a bit early for them I should think. ::)

I'll have to do it when we get home. :)

John

Hi Alex

I don't know what I did right but we're not going until tomorrow morning now!

So, I've downloaded and installed 6 as well and I see what you mean.  Had a look at a couple of these airfields and they're little gems I must say.  Thank you Anthony so very much.  I think they're super.  I do have a question though, well two in fact.  One is; what is that old boat doing in the back of the sheds at Emkaytee? ;D

The other is more particular.  In your 'readme' for 6 you refer to the 'Effects' folder but there doesn't seem to be one for this batch? :o::)???;);D

John

You find a lot of boats at small airfields. Half the time hangars end up as storage sheds. I imagine the wife saying "get that bloody thing out of the backyard"  ;D.

Just ignore that bit about the "effects" folder for Vol 6 as that particular volume doesn't have an effects folder included. Left it over from one of the other manuals.

Archived