Scenery library question

flyinion

Hi guys.  So I've been reminded last night that my current rig just literally can not handle PNW + the PMDG 737 NGX unless I just want to turn off all the scenery pretty much (which defeats the purpose of using PNW).  So I'm thinking for cases when I want to fly into or out of the Seattle area with it to just run "default" scenery with FTX Global textures over FSGenesis 10m resolution mesh (and soon Vector as well).  However I'd like to run a 3rd party version of KSEA so I can have all the runways.  If I put the 3rd party KSEA below all of the ORBX entries in the scenery config will it cause any problems for the times I turn PNW back on?  I.e. will I need to uncheck its entry to disable it while running PNW or will the PNW version of KSEA overwrite it?

When you say "cannot handle" do you mean that you are getting stutters or OOM or both? Have you tried backing your scenery sliders down when departing KSEA? You can always turn them up after departure. Also, if you are not doing it already, try disabling (i.e. uncheck) scenery in your scenery library that you are not going to use for that particular flight flight. There is no need to have every major airport addon turned on if you're not using them. For example, if you are flying from Seattle to San Francisco, uncheck every other major airport and scenery addon except the ones you will use along that route. There is no need to have KIAD or KPHX enabled when you won't use them, and having them active will affect your performance.

To answer your question, if you have a third party KSEA below Orbx PNW in your scenery library, you still need to disable it, because you'll have 2 active 3rd party AFCAD files.

Todd

When you say "cannot handle" do you mean that you are getting stutters or OOM or both? Have you tried backing your scenery sliders down when departing KSEA? You can always turn them up after departure. Also, if you are not doing it already, try disabling (i.e. uncheck) scenery in your scenery library that you are not going to use for that particular flight flight. There is no need to have every major airport addon turned on if you're not using them. For example, if you are flying from Seattle to San Francisco, uncheck every other major airport and scenery addon except the ones you will use along that route. There is no need to have KIAD or KPHX enabled when you won't use them, and having them active will affect your performance.

To answer your question, if you have a third party KSEA below Orbx PNW in your scenery library, you still need to disable it, because you'll have 2 active 3rd party AFCAD files.

Todd

Thanks Todd.  So, even if I'm not in an area, the scenery is still loaded?  I would have thought FSX would load it if I flew into the area or something.  As far as the PNW + PMDG thing my rig is just not capable of running both.  I've definitely tried reducing settings.  The two that had the biggest impact after I turned AI stuff basically off (4% GA and commercial and that's it) were scenery complexity and Autogen.  Those are already on Normal and sparse and I still end up with about 13fps at the end of the runway heading north towards Seattle.  Even once I get past Seattle itself and keep heading north I still end up with blurry textures on the ground in random spots.  I got rid of a lot of blurring by internally locking the FPS (I used to use Nvidia Inspector to externally lock), but never got rid of it all.  I had a whole thread going about this a few months back when I bought the PMDG aircraft href='http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/64953-new-plane-massive-blurries-in-pnw/%C2'>

Hi guys,

as long as your third-party KSEA file is at lower display priority than the PNW version there's no need to deactivate it. The only case I know of in which FSX "balks" at two active airport facility files is if they are identical. 

As for the fps issue make sure to install the latest PNW service pack 7. The new night lighting is definitely less harsh on fps though if you've already ran PNW with the Day switch then you won't notice much difference.

Cheers, Holger

Hi guys,

as long as your third-party KSEA file is at lower display priority than the PNW version there's no need to deactivate it. The only case I know of in which FSX "balks" at two active airport facility files is if they are identical. 

As for the fps issue make sure to install the latest PNW service pack 7. The new night lighting is definitely less harsh on fps though if you've already ran PNW with the Day switch then you won't notice much difference.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger, in this case the 3rd party one is in the "addon scenery folder" directly.  In the library it's much lower than everything else.  I'm not sure how to tell if the facility file is "identical" and would create a problem though.  It's the KSEA from Ray Smith in Avsims's AFCAD section.  Oh and yes I was already using PNW in day mode.  Actually all my testing last night and the night before was after updating SP6 to SP7 for PNW.  I'm going to give it one last shot though tonight with some of the built in pre-set levels (medium, medium-high, etc.) in the Scenery tab of the display options but leaving scenery complexity at normal and autogen at sparse just to quickly get an idea of if I can improve things without trashing the look too much by rounding off all the terrain and causing too much reduction in the resolution of the scenery tiles.

That's interesting, Holger. I always understood that problems can arise if you have multiple AFCAD files for the same airport.  Any time there is an issue with a third party airport one of the first things I have always been told to do is check for other AFCADs that might be interfering.  Please correct me if I am wrong, which I have known to be a time or two ..... or three. :unsure: 

flyinion, apparently not disabling other sceneries will clog up your VAS space, hence you will more likely encounter OOMs, so in simple terms, yes it's as if the scenery is recognized and loaded.  It doesn't mean doing so will fix all of your issues but it certainly is worth trying. Another thing is I see you are using REX. If you are using HD textures, swap them out for 1024x1024 or less. HD textures can be performance killers (I personally think non-HD clouds look more realistic anyway).

Todd

That's interesting, Holger. I always understood that problems can arise if you have multiple AFCAD files for the same airport.  Any time there is an issue with a third party airport one of the first things I have always been told to do is check for other AFCADs that might be interfering.  Please correct me if I am wrong, which I have known to be a time or two ..... or three. :unsure:

flyinion, apparently not disabling other sceneries will clog up your VAS space, hence you will more likely encounter OOMs, so in simple terms, yes it's as if the scenery is recognized and loaded.  It doesn't mean doing so will fix all of your issues but it certainly is worth trying. Another thing is I see you are using REX. If you are using HD textures, swap them out for 1024x1024 or less. HD textures can be performance killers (I personally think non-HD clouds look more realistic anyway).

Todd

Hi Todd, yes I moved to 1024's long ago after John had made some mention of them.  Sometimes I see the difference depending on the clouds REX is trying to show but most of the time they actually do look pretty good.  So I just got finished with a bit more testing.  Yeah my rig just can't handle the PMDG 737 and PNW at the same time.  I even went so far as to really back settings down and still would eventually end up with blurred ground textures even though I was maintaining a solid locked 25fps the whole time in spot view at that point.  I'm 95% sure it's my cpu power too because I know that when you run unlocked it uses more cpu to try and pump as many frames as possible to the graphics card.  When I first got the PMDG I used to run externally locked.  The first time I tried to fly it in PNW it was a total blurfest.  Locking internally made most of it (initially at least) go away.  I have plenty of other planes that I can and should be using in that area anyway (it's not like PNW is really made for high and fast IFR) so until I get my new PC I'll just use FTX Global for if I want to fly the PMDG up there.  At least with Global things still look soooo much better than default.

Archived