Matrox TripleHead2Go

JohnG

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tennyson57

Yeah,

If you go to the Flight Sim Pilot Shop, I wrote the review for the original Triple head2 go analog version and then updated it when I purchased my new Digital version.

Still one of the best pieces of Flight sim hardware I've ever purchased.

Thoroughly recommended!!

P.S. I don't work for the company and I'm not getting any kickback for saying that, either, just a good product, in my view.

I have 3 x samsung 940n 19".  They have the narrow bezzle. Looking at about 46" of horizontal view.

It strikes me that 3 x 22" might be too much.

Had 2 pixels out on one monitor.  Samsung replaced by courier within 10 days.... too easy.

This setup belongs to a mate of mine.  He has 3 x 22" monitor's and the view is awesome...  Actually it to an extent negates the use of a TrackIR setup because of the almost peripheral vision it provides...

Cheers,

Posted Image

Nope, that's exactly the point...  It lifts the level of immersion so much that you tend to mentally ignore the bezel's after a very short while.

It is really brilliant.  I tried it with the TrackIR Pro and ended taking them off as it was more distracting than anything else.

Cheers

This setup belongs to a mate of mine.  He has 3 x 22" monitor's and the view is awesome...  Actually it to an extent negates the use of a TrackIR setup because of the almost peripheral vision it provides...

Cheers,

Not trying to be funny - it is probably something to do with the camera angles - but the shot you posted appears that there is a substantial difference in colour density on each of the screens - I think I would personally find it a bit irritating with the angled placement of the screens as shown - does this really make much of a difference?

Rob, have you noticed a FR drop with your installation using the TH2G?

Cheers,

No; but the system is pretty good (Core2 duo E6700 2.66GHz, 2 x 8800GTS vid cards o/c 570/1800MHz, 4GB RAM), so with FS9 it runs >100FPS with everything flat out and a heap of addon scenrey and AI!

Rob, have you noticed a FR drop with your installation using the TH2G?

Cheers,

No; but the system is pretty good (Core2 duo E6700 2.66GHz, 2 x 8800GTS vid cards o/c 570/1800MHz, 4GB RAM), so with FS9 it runs >100FPS with everything flat out and a heap of addon scenrey and AI!

Thats very interesting Rob - because I have always been under the impression FS was mainly CPU bound, why the 2 8800's? - have you tried it with just one feeding the TH2G?

Next question - How does it go with FSX/FTX etc? - and which OS?

Hi Guys,

That's my rig that Maxter sent the photo on; trust me the system is fantastic.  I do notice a framerate drop from a single screen so this is not a rig for low end PCs.  In answer to Quinn point about light intensity.  All screens are identical; the screen shot reflects the camera angle it was taken at.  Try it for yourself just stand alongside a flat screen instead on looking at it staight on.  Hope that info helps.

Cheers

Wrench

Guest tennyson57

On another note, but still vitally important!

I had my first Triple head2 go (analog version) set up a while back and I had a big spike come down the line, via a small thunderstorm.

Luckily for me, I had all of my gear attached to a Belkin Surge suppressor that I had paid in excess of 100 bucks for (I doubted at the time if I was overspending and being a bit paranoid!).

The power supply unit on the Triple head2go blew up and I could not get it going again.

Luckily for me, Belkin (whom I believe are one of the only companies honouring power surge claims) saw fit to send me a brand new surge protector and process a claim for my Triple head2go.

Again, fortunately for me, the analog version was replaced with a digital one ( I put in a few bucks) and after a few weeks I was back up and running again.

The guys at belkin Claims in Sydney were fantastic to deal with and since then I have bought surge suppressors for my big screen LCD and HTPC.

Worth every cent!

So be wary, guys, you don't need to spend good money on your gear and have it go poof up in smoke when a little insurance would keep you up and going shood things go wrong.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Belkin, either, but if they want to send me a cheque for giving them a good report, I won't say no....hahaha

Seeya guys,

Frank

• 1 month later...

As I don't seem to be able to find any support forums or discussion in general about this hardware I thought I'd try asking here...

I received my TH2G a couple of days ago and for the most part I'm loving the experience in FSX, it works great with TrackIR with no real drop in performance over the 1920x1200 I was running before. The trouble I have is that the Powerdesk software will not work.

I'm running Vista and see that the powerdesk service and process are both running fine, with a green USB light on the unit itself. However, the system tray icon never appears and running direct from the start menu sees an egg timer for a second or two then nothing. As it is I am unable to configure bezel management or any of the other features of the software - I may as well be using the analog version at the moment!

Does anyone have any experience like this or perhaps a link to any sort of useful resource for the unit - the Matrox site is pretty useless support wise, the technical support email I have received didn't shed any light?

Anyone?

Sorry odjee I can't help (maybe a reinstallation of the software from the disk). but let me say that I am a total THG fan.  I would not want to sim without it.  I have the digital version and use 3x19inch ViewSonics, and I take a fourth screen from the second outlet of the video card.  This one I use to place the pop-up windows, primarily the GPS, MCDU or FMC depending on the plane.

The digital version has bezel management, so a part of the picture can be "hidden' behind the screen.  If you were into screaming aerobatics this facility would be really good as it stops the sometimes large misalignments in the horizon created by the three separate pictures that come from the THG 'box'.

I tend to forget about it as the immersion is so total that I think my eyes now discount the misalignment.  Also I have TrackIR but never use it now: I will give it away to a kind home if anyone wants it.  With a good hat switch the view is awesome, and in Spot mode you get an astonishing, sweeping 360degs with the hat.

I am investigating whether THG would benefit from the investment in a second card in an SLI setup worthwhile.  Has anyone any knowledge of this?

For those running 22 inch monitors, is it worth it, considering the image (1280x1024 per monitor) is not at the monitor's native resolution (1680x1050) ie a bit blurry? 3x 19' isn't much cheaper than 3x22' at the mo', but the 22' gives a whole lot more visual real estate.

Archived