ORBX!VECTOR_AEC corrections reference FSGlobal2010-FTX mesh?

flapsdown

A blizzard of posts seem to indicate that Vector "works best" with the FSGlobal2010-FTX mesh installed, and if I understand this information correctly (and I am not saying I do), the airport elevation corrections provided by the ORBX!VECTOR_AEC layer in the scenery library should adjust airports to more closely fit with this "better" mesh, and yet after having purchased and installing FSGlobal2010-FTX I now seem to have even more errors than I had before than with just Vector running against the default mesh (at least anecdotally) - places like KSEZ (Sedona, AZ ), KASE (Aspen, CO), KEGE (Eagle, CO), LFLJ (Courchevel, FR) etc. all have varying degrees of "plateau" issues now - am I just "unlucky" in my airport selection and these are bugs, or do I totally misunderstand the interaction between Vector and FSGlobal2010-FTX?

Thanks,

Chris B.

aka - "Flapsdown"

I think I have an understanding of what has been done.

I have spent a lot of time in the past correcting the FSX airport elevations in Colombia for myself, so they look right on add-on mesh.

There are some ludicrous inaccuracies introduced by MS, who appear to have had a very inaccurate database from

which to place airfields and a very poor quality mesh.

They look fine with default mesh, of course, except that the surrounding terrain is often several hundred feet

higher or lower than it should be.

There are 363 files in the FTX_VECTOR_AEC folder.

These are the airfields that have been corrected to the replacement mesh so far.

If your airfield ICAO code is not in there, it hasn't yet been processed.

I would expect that this number will grow towards the 24,000 or so airfields in FSX.

Here is an example, Tres de Mayo in Colombia, SKAS, which is in the FTX_VECTOR_AEC

folder.

This is what happens if FsGenesis mesh is added to Colombia.

The terrain elevation has been corrected, leaving the airfield at its

hopelessly inaccurate height.

SKASdefault_zps39188fe6.jpg

This is what Vector does to correct the rather obvious error.

The airfield is now at the correct elevation, as is the terrain

SKASAES_zpsf734c044.jpg

and rather cleverly, this is what it still looks like back in the default mesh.

The airfield pulls the surrounding terrain gradually down to its now corrected elevation.

SKASAESindefault_zps9a8a844e.jpg

I hope I have given you correct information and that this helps you to understand what is going on.

Regards,

Nick.

No doubt it will be a monumental task to correct all required inaccurate airfield elevations in FSX/P3Dv2. I understand the folks at Pilots will be introducing more airport corrections with the 1.10 update but perhaps we should open a new thread to allow those with FSGlobal 2010 mesh (or any other upgraded mesh for that matter) to specifically identify which additional airfields need correction in the FTX_Vector_AEC folder? We can categorize by continent and/or country and airfield code. In this way, the progressive patches will continue to expand on the AEC folder and make corrections as deemed necessary.

Nick,

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to impart some information, and what you surmise seems like how it might be, but playing out that scheme against Courchevel (LFLJ) which is in the FTX_VECTOR_AEC/Scenery folder (AECLFLJ.bgl) yields these results:

All shots are in FSX and have the FTX Global Base Texture Pack ON, and then the following variations.

VECTOR+VECTOR AEC+FSGlobal2010-FTX Mesh:

dAWfP.jpg

VECTOR+FSGlobal2010-FTX Mesh (AEC OFF):

Z3HKL.jpg

FSGlobal2010-FTX Mesh (VECTOR OFF, AEC OFF):

SL654.jpg

FSX DEFAULT  (VECTOR OFF, AEC OFF, FSGlobal2010-FTX Mesh OFF):

d64pq.jpg

VECTOR+VECTOR AEC+ FSX MESH (FSGlobal2010-FTX Mesh OFF):

aEGqw.jpg

As you can see, only the FSX default situation yields a well integrated rendering - so I am still fairly confused about which (if any) mesh the AEC corrections are really supposed to work with - but then again, my brain may be too fuzzy to cope with this much thinking today :P

Hello Chris,

I am at a slight disadvantage here, as I don't have any highly accurate mesh for this location.

I can say that Vector certainly does raise the airport elevation to the correct 6588 feet.

As I understand it, the Vector corrections have amended the airport elevations to the real world values,

rather than that required to fit a specific mesh.

In the best of all possible worlds, these two values should coincide but it seems that in some cases

this doesn't happen.

I can also say that there is no chance of Courchevel ever looking like it actually does, without

another payware bespoke version. It has, as I am sure you know, one of the steepest sloped

runways in the world, which does not sit well with FSX flat runways.

Ignoring the airport for a moment and looking at the mountains behind, the FS Global mesh

certainly makes a huge improvement.

I see exactly the same as you do with the default FSX mesh and airport, no surprise there.

I do have some freeware mesh for Europe.

This is what I see.

FSX default Courchevel+ addon freeware mesh

LFLJaddonmeshnovector_zps8d98f161.jpg

Vector+addon freeware mesh

LFLJaddonmeshvector_zps2afb65d0.jpg

Vector+default mesh

LFLJnoaddonmeshvector_zps768f0e6f.jpg

Regards,

Nick.

Hey Nick,

Yes, I was aware that Courchevel is probably somewhere near the ultimate test case for FSX scenery and airports "auto-generated" up from underlying data files, and as you say, short of a "hand crafted" FTX style airport, some strange things are probably just going to have to be given some level of acceptance, but since LFLJ is already in the VECTOR corrections folder, it's a bit discouraging to see the current end result...   :blink:

Hello again Chris,

I see that in your other topic on this subject, you have been directed to a payware add-on.

I found a freeware one tucked away in my add-on scenery folder which I had failed to

activate.

It seems to do a pretty good job and includes three other sloping Alpine airfields.

I also found some higher resolution mesh for this area.

The file can be found at Flightsim.com. here if you are logged in

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=19064101

or file name fsxalti2.zip if you use the search for file name option.

You will need to disable AECLFLJ.bgl to see this correctly

Courchevel_zpsd69b0fb0.jpg

Regards,

Nick

Archived