NZ SI Picton Airport and others.

bobby

Hi --have just tried some flights on recently loaded NZSI in an area I know quite well around Picton, Wellington, Osaka, Blenheim and Wanaka. However , when I tried to land at Picton I found no airport, only the harbour. When I try to start from Picton I am in the water ! I also note that the position of the Picton runway on the map in FSX is actually positioned in the harbour. All the other airports seem to be ok. I have all the latest patches loaded.

I also note that there are very few AI aircraft at these and a number of other airports, even though the slider is set high.

I have also seen the reference in the forums  to "hard winter" in the scenery seasons (but cannot find it ) but having skied many times in the Queenstown area over the last few years there seems to be a lack of snow even in  the winter season. I also miss seeing the road that is most prominent that you drive up to the Remarkables ski area.

Are these things that is still to be picked up and corrected in future patches or is there a problem somewhere with my install? Have I missed something on the forums?

I have the North Island as well but haven't got around to doing any of this yet. Also EU and Wales

The ORBX package overall is great and have transformed by enjoyment of FSX and I cannot wait to find the time to fly some more.

Bobby

Order number is web180706

Hi Bobby,

welcome to Orbx!

The airstrip southwest of Picton is actually named "Koromiko" and its ICAO is NZPN; see http://map.xinqu.net/airfields.html . It's modeled in NZSI. On the other hand "NZSO" is the ICAO of the Picton Harbour seaplane base. If you choose Dock 1 or Dock 2 from the runway selection menu it'll start your plane at the docks. Obviously, you want to use an amphib or floatplane for that.

I do remember manually drawing the road to the Remarkables ski area; make sure you have the NZSI service pack installed from our support page: http://www.fullterrain.com/support.html

The peaks of the Remarkables in NZSI are covered in snow from June through September. Our seasons file was based on climate maps and local knowledge though I'm not claiming it's 100% accurate, especially since seasons files in FSX have limited spatial resolution and we had to make certain trade-offs due to complex interactions with our waterbody files that automatically "freeze" lakes during winter months.

Cheers, Holger

The Remarkables ski road is not very obvious in the NZSI scenery so you will have to get close and low to see it, the version with the NZQN airport scenery is much more realistic, though now with Global Vector installed that could be affecting my plain NZSI install but as it's really a minor road I don't think it would be.

NZQN airport scenery

Remarkables1.jpg

When I fly up around to the North facing side I lose sight of the road when the scenery reverts back to NZSI so maybe only the lower section of the road has been completed in the NZSI scenery.

Only NZSI scenery

Remarkables2.jpg

Here the road is much more difficult to see from a distance so maybe that's why you haven't noticed it - and as I said above it doesn't appear to go very far around the upper corner just out of site to the top left.

Archived