Between Canberra and Sydney

I was curious about the night lightening far away from the big cities and took the PC-12 out for a spin between Canberra and Sydney. And what an awesome difference FTX makes... An usually boring IFR flight turns into a beautiful sight seeing trip. How can i ever fly somewhere else... :D. The pics are quiet dark, hope they are still o.k. for you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Heiko

edit: Almost forgot, John improved further the street lights in the distance. Pure perfection if you ask me... This is one shot from my test flight above Hobart :

Posted Image

Cheers

Just wonderful shots mate, thanks a heap.

One question though, you blokes over East must be really rich having street lights on country roads, or are those motor vehicle lights...

Cheers and thanks again,

One question though, you blokes over East must be really rich having street lights on country roads, or are those motor vehicle lights...

Chris we are still fine tuning the roads system. Most major roads extending into rural areas should have no lights, but trees bounding them. The ones you see in those shots have slipped through the cracks, and we'll hopefully get that sorted for release.

With FTX and FEX installed,will i need any other NIGHT Lighting add-on's. ???

The last time i looked,SOUTH AUSTRALIA,was still part of Australia. ;)

Any chance of some PICS PLEASE of this GREATE state. :-*

Cheers....

JohnG....

John, there's no need to shout in caps mate ;)

No, you won't need night lighting addons for FTX regions, since we cover that off. Most other night lighting addons for FSX in general are very poor, offering overly bright roads and ludicrous night textures, which incidentally, will only work for FSX default textures.

With regards to Adelaide, we have noted your previous requests and we are still finalising the landclass areas in order to create the best environment for taking screenshots. Expect some shots in the coming week ok?

Chris we are still fine tuning the roads system. Most major roads extending into rural areas should have no lights, but trees bounding them. The ones you see in those shots have slipped through the cracks, and we'll hopefully get that sorted for release.

Thanks mate for taking the time out of your busy day to answer a nothing question.

All the best mate with the project.

Cheers,

Hehe thanks. They forgot the keys in that plane...  ;D

Mango nice screenshots and which weather engine or cloud program you running in those screenshots is that FEX?

Yep, cloud and sky textures are FEX, dawn and dusk are from Real Sky Pro. For the pics with the PC-12 i had ActiveSkyX running.

Heiko

Sorry JohnV, was not meant,as--to shout,just trying to bring attention to certain words in my post.

Just bad forum grammar.

Cheers....

JohnG....

P.S.

Hope i do'nt have to stop using the :-* icon. :D

Hehe thanks. They forgot the keys in that plane...  ;D

Mango nice screenshots and which weather engine or cloud program you running in those screenshots is that FEX?

Yep, cloud and sky textures are FEX, dawn and dusk are from Real Sky Pro. For the pics with the PC-12 i had ActiveSkyX running.

Heiko

Thanks Mango so doesn't FEX do dawn and dusk with there program?

Sure, FEX sky textures are complete themes - but when you like to have another dawn to your preferred day sky, you have to alter it yourself. That's a shortcoming which is hopefully addressed with a SP. I don't bother with creating my own textures. If i like a more orange sunset, i choose it from the RealSky Pro or XG installer.

Heiko

Sure, FEX sky textures are complete themes - but when you like to have another dawn to your preferred day sky, you have to alter it yourself. That's a shortcoming which is hopefully addressed with a SP. I don't bother with creating my own textures. If i like a more orange sunset, i choose it from the RealSky Pro or XG installer.

Heiko

Ok I might hold of buying Real Sky Pro until the next so called patch for FEX is released and see what's in it then with all the chatter of those that have the program now. I'm like you I'm not very good at playing around with textures and prefer to pay for someone else to do the work so I can just click and fly. I haven't got FEX yet I was holding out until the first region release of FTX was out then make a decision because of the rival competition with those weather engines and cloud texture programs that are floating around. At this stage I'm leaning towards FEX because of FTX business ethics are outstanding and there in cahoots with the FEX team so I only hope that some of FTX ethics rubs off. I'm on the fence lately watching the support forum due to people screaming for help and no answers coming from FEX so I will continue to monitor  which one I will end up with.

Thanks

Fex has the best clouds and water available today. I bought it the first day it was released and i am very happy with this addon. To tell the truth, i usually buy all major addons and use (mix up) their best parts. Tough competition is on the horizon and we customers can only benefit - updates are in the making. The only release which really ticked me off was GEX, but that's another story...

Heiko

Mango,is there any chance that the FTX team could give us an idea (list)of add-on's that would go well with FTX to enhance

and compliment it.I don't mean planes or mesh.I mean like FEX ect.

And the pics are always greate.

JohnG....

We are no longer in "cahoots" with the FEX team, as has been previously stated. However, FEX is still a great package and Peter does make superb clouds, there's no refuting that fact at all.

:o  I thought the FEX engine was going to somehow allow FTX to overlay cloud shadows on the textures?

Mango,is there any chance that the FTX team could give us an idea (list)of add-on's that would go well with FTX to enhance

and compliment it.I don't mean planes or mesh.I mean like FEX ect.

And the pics are always greate.

JohnG....

Well, i am using FSGenesis mesh and FEX - works great together with FTX. Of course i am very interested in the upcoming REX...  ;)

Heiko

We are no longer in "cahoots" with the FEX team, as has been previously stated. However, FEX is still a great package and Peter does make superb clouds, there's no refuting that fact at all.

Well!.... that comment just there has stopped me in my tracks and made my ears prick up. I was not aware that the partnership or what ever it was is now dissolved so that opens the door. I was leaning towards FEX because of the relationship it had with FTX and thought I would support FEX because of the ties. Is there a link to this news or explanation that we can read or is that a taboo subject? 

Fex has the best clouds and water available today. I bought it the first day it was released and i am very happy with this addon. To tell the truth, i usually buy all major addons and use (mix up) their best parts. Tough competition is on the horizon and we customers can only benefit - updates are in the making. The only release which really ticked me off was GEX, but that's another story...

Heiko

I agree Heiko competition does benefit us in a great way but along with that I'm sick of forking out $$$ for crapware and some of those developers are thief's them self trying to sell the garbage they do with trickery in there screenshots or synopses of the product. Or you take the plunge and fork out your $$$ only to have someone else pop up with a huge improvement of the same thing which leaves you kicking yourself for not holding of for a few days.

If ORBX was to take there ideas and business ethics and apply it too other areas of the sim world to make it a one stop shop with what I have seen so far and there support they sure would rock this hobby. I would dump in a heart beat all my other payware texture files and so on to spend money with the FTX team. I spend money hand over fist on this stuff and much of it gets uninstalled and forgotten about because it's not worth it or the support sucks. Then again many of the folks that do reviews have allot to answer for as they suck up and have a brown stripe from tip of tongue to the back of there tinsels with developers to ensure they get there next free copy...........

Thanks John you and your team have real class and set an example that others should look at and model there business practice on but then someone slap me and stop me dreaming because a team like ORBX only comes along every so often.

I think one of the guys behind REX is actually an airline pilot and can take photos of cloud, sky, runway textures effectively for  free. Whereas with FEX they have to hire an aircraft and take their own photos. Something like that.

In any case competition is good.  So we have ASX, FEX and REX! Pretty spoilt for choice. 2008 is shaping up a great year for Flightsim. 

I purchased FEX a while ago, but will happily jump ship to ASX or REX if they can implement cloud shadows on top of FTX!

I have now stopped buying other comanies textures and will wait until ORBX releases them. I truly believe in spending my hard earned dollars in australian based companies and will continue to do so. I also believe in ORBXS vision and honesty

Shane

Mango, I have FEX and have one question if you may. Do I need to replicate the weather system in FSX that I import over from FEX in order to see the effects? I have imported a few over but see no difference. Could you clarify this for me please? Its obvious from your screenies that yours is working perfect. Thanks, Keith.

Clouds shadows are a function of an environment addon - not a ground terrain addon like FTX.

By this I mean that cloud products like ASX, FEX, REX will have wx engines (ASX already has one, the others soon I believe). To depict cloud shadows, the wx data contains the type, altitude, density and positioning of the clouds in real time. That then determines where the clouds fall, their darkness, size, density etc. All this is possible in theory, but has never been implemented in practice. During the FSX beta there was actually a "Cloud Shadows" check box in the GUI, but was later removed. I believe this may have been due to the extreme FPS hit that the shadows routines took.

I am hoping someone will do cloud shadows one day, but it's not in our plans, and beyond the scope of the FTX products.

With regard to the FEX partneship being over - it's not a taboo subject at all. As the partnership progressed, it became apparent that their approach and vision for ground terrain products differed from ours considerably and we decided to go our seperate ways. There is no animosity between us at all. I wish Peter and Chris all the best and still respect them hugely for their talents.

At the end of the day Orbx is going to focus on what we've spent the last 3-4 years doing - creating the most realistic VFR flying environments available. That's our focus, that's our mission and we won't stray from it.

I am also excited about REX, it promises a lot.

Clouds shadows are a function of an environment addon - not a ground terrain addon like FTX.

By this I mean that cloud products like ASX, FEX, REX will have wx engines (ASX already has one, the others soon I believe). To depict cloud shadows, the wx data contains the type, altitude, density and positioning of the clouds in real time. That then determines where the clouds fall, their darkness, size, density etc. All this is possible in theory, but has never been implemented in practice. During the FSX beta there was actually a "Cloud Shadows" check box in the GUI, but was later removed. I believe this may have been due to the extreme FPS hit that the shadows routines took.

I am hoping someone will do cloud shadows one day, but it's not in our plans, and beyond the scope of the FTX products.

Something FS11 I guess!

With regard to the FEX partneship being over - it's not a taboo subject at all. As the partnership progressed, it became apparent that their approach and vision for ground terrain products differed from ours considerably and we decided to go our seperate ways. There is no animosity between us at all. I wish Peter and Chris all the best and still respect them hugely for their talents.

At the end of the day Orbx is going to focus on what we've spent the last 3-4 years doing - creating the most realistic VFR flying environments available. That's our focus, that's our mission and we won't stray from it.

I am also excited about REX, it promises a lot.

Ok thanks for answering my question I don't feel so bad now if I shift my loyalties because up until that bit of information was given I was wanting to support you hence my interest in FEX but now I can watch all camps and go with what I consider will fill my void.

Hi Mango, Great shots, one question though, where did you get the RFDS repaint for the PC-12?  I assume its the Flight1 PC-12.

Cheers

Yep, that's the Flight1 model. The livery you can find at avsim: f1pc12_rfds_vhmwo.zip

Heiko

Thank you for that information.

Cheers

Robbo

Archived