FTX PNW Frustration with an unattainable installation

rmeier

Just purchased the Orbx PNW Scenery package (Order Number: FSS0249672). First impressions are not of a pleasant experience, starting with the download process itself (another story).

So after being forced to install a download manager (FlashGet3) on a newly built, "clean", dedicated FSX PC, I was finally able to download the file after waiting in excess of 14 hours!

My PC is running Windows 7-64 with FSX Deluxe.

My initial installation of your software to my FSX directory "seemed" to work OK until I got to the FTX Central program manager...trying to enable to NA Scenery gave me an error message that it could not find a scenery\back-up\default.xml file. When I looked at the files installed, there was indeed no such folder/file installed.

Referencing the forum and available documentation, it was recommended to have microsoft.net framework v3.5 installed, which I downloaded and installed (although V4.5 was already running on my system). I manually activated the prior version through Control Panel. I deleted all the Orbx files and started again. Still no luck installing your software with the same error message and lack of the "default.xml" file.

I though I would try to manually install the scenery directories already installed on my SSD through FSX to no avail. (Did a "test flight" departing CYVR (FSDT Scenery) 26L...couldn't see any change in scenery from UTX to FXT PNW and less than 2 minutes into my flight, experienced an FSX CTD. Delete the Orbx files again!

I then read that I shouldn't have used Windows zip to unzip the files. Now I download more software to my clean PC (WinZip) to go back and unzip/execute the original download file (absolutely no difference in the file sizes btw.)

Trying to execute the file now, and now I can't even get past a point of completing the install of the wrapper: it "hangs" at about 90% progress (according to the status bar). Delete...try again...same result!!!

I have already "invested" about 6 hours of my time reading through the forum and trying to get your software to install (never mind the countless download fails before I installed the download manager)!!!

What am I missing to install your software or do I just write this scenery/experience off?

A very frustrating experience by the sounds of it.

On the other side of the coin, over the many years of buying and installing Orbx scenery I have had no problems with D/Ling, installing, unzipping etc.  So this is just to say, that it is possible to have a positive experience.  Perhaps my experience is good because I have an extreme internet package for fast downloads of files of large size and I use WinZip and WinRar.  The netframe issue is interesting never heard of that one before.

I  personally won't wade into how to fix this or that, but I just want to say, you have purchased the crown jewel of their sceneries and the area is beautiful to fly in, especially if you get the additional airports.

Let the Orbx folks give you help, take a deep breath on this frustration issue, best to hold, no more messing around until you hear back...I'm sure you will get there soon.

OK...so I thought I would try this installation again. Initially tried to disable the Microsoft.net frameworks 3.5...that didn't work! Installed the FSX.exe registry fix...that helped the wrapper issue, but, again after the software loads and when I try to use the FTX Central program, I'm stopped by an error message and reference to a file that has not been loaded onto my SSD Orbx directory.

In my haste earlier...I mis-referenced that file: it is trying to find ...\Scripts\back-up\default.xml

I also made an error earlier with my version of FSX...it is Gold with the Acceleration and SP2 installed.

Attached is the "block" I'm getting for the installation of this software:

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'G:\Microsoft Fligh Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\default.xml'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.CopyBuildRestoreBat()

at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.ApplyRegionChanges()

at FTXCentral.FTXC.Apply()

at FTXCentral.FTXC.lblApplyButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5472 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

----------------------------------------

FTXCentral

Assembly Version: 1.0.2.8

Win32 Version: 1.0.2.8

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Drawing

System.Runtime.Remoting

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

System.Configuration

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

kndscnpf

System.Core

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1

z1lwsb3z

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Although it will not correct any of your problems, MS Net framework 3.5 is the minimum version that you should have in order for the package to work. It would have been OK to leave v4.5 on your system. Keep a mental note that when windows is next doing an update, and it lists a whole lot of dot net files, its just updating itself back to the latest version again (with the associated download time overhead).

My advise is to leave it at v3.5 at the moment until you get the other FSX problems sorted, and then run a manual windows update when you have a whole lot of computer time available (switch off sleep mode and run it overnight?).

Hi rmeier,

sorry to hear about the difficulties with installing PNW. The listing of default.xml indicates that either you don't have a copy of that default file in your {FSX}\Autogen folder or our \ORBX\Scripts\Backup folder is missing. In most cases it's the latter and installing the latest Orbx Libraries, available at https://www.fullterrain.com/support.html#orbxlibs, will fix the issue.

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

Thank you for the "fix"...the scenery library add-on did add the missing Scripts\backup folder...scenery is now loaded.

Thanks again!

(It may help to add this info to the current very brief product download "readme". I wouldn't have expected "missing" files from my download.)   :smile:

Rob

Btw, always been a big fan of your West Coast Sceneries...Victoria (City and Airport) and the recent Vancouver 3 (having been born in Vancouver and raised in Richmond)...thanks for your contributions!

Hi Rob,

thanks for the kind words. The reason for the missing files in our older installers is that the installer software (unbeknownst to us) dropped empty folders. In new installer builds we fixed that by adding a "dummy" text file into those folders. 

In general, after installing any additional Orbx product, it's recommended to also (re-)install the current libraries in order to get everything back into sync. 

Cheers, Holger

Hi Rob,

thanks for the kind words. The reason for the missing files in our older installers is that the installer software (unbeknownst to us) dropped empty folders. In new installer builds we fixed that by adding a "dummy" text file into those folders. 

In general, after installing any additional Orbx product, it's recommended to also (re-)install the current libraries in order to get everything back into sync. 

Cheers, Holger

I always wondered what the empty text file was all about, now I have an explanation.

Archived