What card is the best Graphics Card on the market today?

Ok, I´m giving myself a christmas present, a new Graphics Card. Today I´m using a AMD Radeon HD 6970 that in fact works very well, even with P3D but...............

I am a ATI fan so please, NO NVIDIA suggestions.

The prize is not an issue. Suggestions.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Ok, I´m giving myself a christmas present, a new Graphics Card. Today I´m using a AMD Radeon HD 6970 that in fact works very well, even with P3D but...............

I am a ATI fan so please, NO NVIDIA suggestions.

The prize is not an issue. Suggestions.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Hi Jack,

I understand that the best of the best today is the AMD R9 290X: in comparation with the Titan, the 290X is mostly the winner;
after that comes the AMD R9 290 (without X): in comparation with the GTX780, the 290 is mostly the winner.

See (however in Dutch) this review:  http://tweakers.net/reviews/3303/11/amd-r9-290-het-kleine-broertje-van-conclusie.html

Hi Jack,

I understand that the best of the best today is the AMD R9 290X: in comparation with the Titan, the 290X is mostly the winner;

after that comes the AMD R9 290 (without X): in comparation with the GTX780, the 290 is mostly the winner.

See (however in Dutch) this review:  http://tweakers.net/reviews/3303/11/amd-r9-290-het-kleine-broertje-van-conclusie.html

But in comparison with the GTX780Ti the Ti is the winner. And so this will go on and on LOL

All I know is that there are various problems with the current R9 290X: fans not working properly and hence performance that can be different with every card. I suppose ATI will get it fixed sometime (well, maybe not if you got one of those cards with a faulty fan!) but I woudn't buy a new ATI right now, at least now if you want the top model.

I will probably get a GTX780 and not the Ti because the differences are to small to justify the difference in price. The same might go for the R9 290X so you might be better off with ATI's 2nd best car?

The best graphics car is the one that suits your needs, your MoBo and it's data throughput ability, Other supporting infrastructure. It IS that simple we could sit here and bandy about figures and performance capacity but if you don't have sufficient power in the MoBo CPU and memory then it won't matter how bolldy good the graphics card is in theory.

I would go for a card that is maybe a few down for the top performance ladder as they are usually more stable and as in the case of my 7970 a second generation and considerable better than the original, so in closing do not be suckered by performance figures and or video presentations on you tube etc  this video is generally that passed directly from the rendering engine to the capture software and has little bearing on the actual quality on screen. 

How a particular card works with all the other hardware around it is the key.

Lets thing about a performance engine for a moment. OK 

We have a forged billet crank, forged Pistons, quality valve train components, top shelf heads, and a garden variety generic fuel  Injection system. the result is a poor quality output, and you PC is exactly the same despite what many PC Component supply Stores will tell you (remember they want to sell parts - and stay away from store-bought PC's as well)  research various forums for gaming and have a look as the hardware various gamer's are using when you build a PC you MUST build it with future expansion in mind true BUT you must also build it with component compatibility and data handling in mind also. If the next component in the chain of flow cannot handle what is is being given then things like buffer underruns and OOM's start occuring as the system attempts to compensate. Microstutter's are a prime example of a system right on the edge of it's performance envelope regarding data throughput. 

From the SSD's HDD's all the way through the PC MUST work as a whole just like a performance engine and if it doesn't then your wasting both time and money. 

And one of the biggest performance killer's is people using PSU's that are not up to the task by either borderline in quality for voltage and ripple regulation etc or insufficient power delivery. IMHO don't argue when building a PC buy a 1000 Watt modular PSU and be done (Just because it is 1K does not mean that your Power bill will go up as the supply will only give what is demanded by the system but will do so reliably for many years if kept clean and will then see that PC being powered for a minimum of 5 years with expand-ability to suit.  

I am thinking of getting a GTX 760 2gig as my current card has expired. The price seems to have come down ( I don't want to spend megabucks as the price of the new cards seems to tumble not long after release ). Thoughts all ?

I had a new rig built about two years ago by CyberPower with the AMD Radeon 7970-3Gb graphics card & not a glitch or stutter to date.  It's exceeded the needs of any game or sim so far.  I used to be a NVIDIA guy all the way, but had several problems with them in the past 5 or 6 years.  Three NVIDIA cards burned out or failed and one never worked from day one.  I decided to give it a go with AMD Radeon and nothing but smooth sailing so far.  I'm a convert.  I liked Wildweasel's advice, maybe don't go with the latest so called greatest.  Great performance, but tried and tested can't be beat.

TD

I had a new rig built about two years ago by CyberPower with the AMD Radeon 7970-3Gb graphics card & not a glitch or stutter to date.  It's exceeded the needs of any game or sim so far.  I used to be a NVIDIA guy all the way, but had several problems with them in the past 5 or 6 years.  Three NVIDIA cards burned out or failed and one never worked from day one.  I decided to give it a go with AMD Radeon and nothing but smooth sailing so far.  I'm a convert.  I liked Wildweasel's advice, maybe don't go with the latest so called greatest.  Great performance, but tried and tested can't be beat.

TD

Good for you.

My principle is to go for the best in my price target range that suits the software I use it for, with FSX still being my main use its a no brainer to stay with Nvidia just now and for the foreseeable next 2 years at least.

As prepar3D V2 is built upon FSX code I don't see that changing much with a few extra shaders and tricks ... but there does seem to be much better results with FSX and ATI these days I do admit.

One thing ATI were always good at is the use of multiple monitor usage out of the box if thats? your thing, but since the Nvidia 6** series their cards for a single card have been able to do same too.

Your mileage may vary.

I'll never worship a silicon chip by name or creed.

Archived