Tried to install Monroe Firstair for FSX, but ...

Paul J

Hi Orbx: I've got a third of the way out of it, but I think it's time for some Pro. help...

Today I purchased Monroe Firstair and Felts Field. I haven't unzipped that one yet., but I did with Firstair. I thought it was a bit strange, mentioning only P3D in the installer, but I figured "Oh well, it's probably a dual installer, and I'll be given a choice, sooner or later. Wrong. It installed into "C:\Program Files (86)\Orbx". I went on the FSS site, but I couldn't find any other Monroe Firstair - FSX or P3d. Maybe I'm blind, I dunno. I dug the forums lokking for any thread which would get me out of this. Problem is - I'm not much into asking for help, and being ex-IT for twenty years or so, I figured I can work through it. So I've copied the new files into their (what I think) proper homes inside "F:\ Flight Simulator X\Orbx\" and reset the registry path, and took a look at the xml files, as the W16 Control Panel still can't find the FSX folder - no prob - the xml's can be edited easily enough - but this one involves Harvey as well, and a couple of other spots were noted as I was copying the files.

The upshot is - I think I should be asking " where do I download the "FSX Monroe Firstair" from instead of maybe digging a bigger hole?  None of the purchase docs mention any breed of download, nor did I see any choices when purchasing, but as I said - maybe I was a bit blind in one eye, with the other not too good, either.....

Thanks for any help,

pj     :(

Saved by the backup FSX folder, four days old. Just deleted the new files and replaced with the backed up files. Tested fine.

So - now where do I go or what do I need to do to get the FSX version of W16, please?

Thanks,

pj

OK - the saga continues. I took the W16 folder from inside the C:\Program Files and copy/pasted it ito FSX. Added it, started FSX at Harvey, flew south for a couple of miles, and there it was, just working like it should! What a bugger of a runway to land on!

There's a few other files that look like they could belong there too, but it's almost midnight now, and I just know my wife is going to kill me.

I reckon it'll be ok, now, and I can shuffle most of those other files around tomorrow morning. I expect there's a proper way to install this, but I can't sit still for two hours, staring at a screen and hoping someone's going to rescue me. If there is a proper way - I couldn't find it! Maybe some knowledgeable bloke could enlighten me?

All the best,

pj

Hi Paul.

I havent fiddled with OrbX files. However i can provide You with pictures of my W16.

Here is the scenery files (my FTX-Central is set on Global) :

5EIO6.jpg

HROFv.jpg

Hope it help. ::)

If You want the texture also or something else, just say so.

Kind regards

Henrik

:lol:  Holy Moly, Henrik! Thanks for taking the time to grab those screenshots! You're as bad as I am. I have to see pictures.

It's 10 am here, and we've just had our coffee and wheaties, so back in the saddle, so to speak.

Yup - that's exactly what's contained in mine, too, so it's correct - and does run perfectly.

The (maybe) missing parts which are included in package are the are changes or adds to Harvey, KORS and Concrete. It's possible, I suppose that the installer wants these inserted for compliance with P3D here, but there is also a different FTX Central, Aero, A slew of fx's for the Effects folder - Library files, perhaps?, and some adds to go into the \Scenery folder and the sound folder. They're all very nice - but it's all for P3D with no mention of FSX in any part of the installer.

Orbx_W16.jpg

Running any xml results in the P3D path - but I don't have P3D. Running the Control Panel for W16 also looks for the non-existant P3D path. These I can fix, along with that for the PDF file, but what a pain in the arse! Running the Migration Tool cannot find the FSX PATH, either - in spite of using the Orbx Reg. Tool to verify it. I should add, too - this is my first experience with any kind of P3D interaction. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<FSX_Settings>

<FSXRegistryKey>SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D</FSXRegistryKey>

<FSXRegistryValue>SetupPath</FSXRegistryValue>

</FSX_Settings>

Correct PATH

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<FTX_Settings>

<FSXRegistryKey>SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0</FSXRegistryKey>

<FSXRegistryValue>SetupPath</FSXRegistryValue>

<SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX</SceneryCFGLocation>

</FTX_Settings>

Anyway - thanks again, Henrik! What a saga!

I'm hoping one of the devs will come along in a minute or two, and tell me that "I shoulda done xxxxxxxxxx!" in the first place!

All the Best,

pj

So - following the "sort-of" successful manual installation of W16 - I installed the other half of my purchase - Felts Field.. This has a "Normal" installer - exactly what I expected it should have for FSX. This is not the same installer as W16 has. W16 has a P3D installer, and no FSX installer. This needs to be addressed, please.  

To continue - Felts installed perfectly, followed by the NRM SP's - as mentioned in another post - and the 131027 Library, + a reboot. This is the result. Remove and reinstall made no difference. It's consistent, with both DX9 and DX10. This has turned into a b***** nightmare for an old fart like me.

I know it's the weekend, and so don't expect dev support, so today I will remove the Orbx folder completely, and replace it with the one from backup. The saga will continue later...

Someone reported a similar problem with CZST Stewart, B.C.  The airports I have installed always give the option to either install to FSX or P3D.  I do not have P3D, and install to FSX.  So far, have had no problems.  Perhaps a complete reinstall would give the option during unwrapping?  Just a thought. 

Jim Kaye

Hi Jim: I don't have P3D, either, but this is definitely a P3D installer. Anyway - I deleted the whole Orbx system, and re-installed from scratch, following the Tim Harris/Ian Routley /Ed Correia instructions, and have 80% finished, all tested, patched, with Felts working as it should. I have to add I used the 130927, as that was the only other thing that had changed during the Firstair installation. I'll take up that issue with Adrian, I guess. What a pain!.

Perhaps a complete reinstall would give the option during unwrapping?

Wondered if you ever were able to resolve your problems with Monroe Firstair.  Found that I had not purchased this airport, although I have almost all the others in Washington state.  Purchased it at a reduced price and installed it.  Very nice airport - lots of local planes flying around, and it sounds like an automobile race track must be close by.

Jim Kaye

Thanks for the posts, guys - I know what the problem is since the weekend - it's a change which is in the W16 installer: something has changed, such that it cannot find the root folder of FSX. I experienced this when testing the DX10 Fixer for Steve Parsons - it sees a longer path than is acceptable, and so it bombs. Steve then fixed the installer, and so now it works properly.  

The W16 installer can't find the FSX root, so it bombs, too. All of my other Orbx airports and areas, FTX Global, etc., - all function absolutely perfectly, and W16 doesn't. I've used three registry repair applets - each one found the AppPath instantly: I wrote a quick one in visual basic 2012 today, which finds both the AppPath and the setup path

LocalMachine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0"

CurrentUser\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0"

Each one is found without issue.

I've had one reply from JayKae, saying he wasn't sure whether it might be an Orbx issue, or an wrapper issue, so he was passing it on to Adrian. I have also emailed Adrian with the details and screenshots, but I've had no response from him yet.

Yeah, Henrik - I downloaded it a couple of times, doing about six installations (some for pics) and a full removal and re-installation of the complete Orbx FSX system. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anyway - I'm a patient fella, and have got it manually installed, but I do think that it deserves some attention and a fix, but it might take a few days. These guys are buy folks!

All the Best,

pj

No - just the one, Ed... Orbx 707, and didn't see any other (downloadable) when doing a search on the store, nor was any choice offered during the purchase screens.. unless I was having one of my "blind as a bat" days.... It announces FSX & P3D on the Store's listing, but that's the only place FSX is mentioned.

PS:

"busy" - (post 14, at the bottom...) as in  "These guys are busy folks!"   Duh!

Yup. There's a second purchase on the same order, Ed - Felts Field. Here's the pic. of the page.

click on that link,than it open a downloadpage,there you can download fsx or p3d............thats wat my show,but i have only one link..........

looks like this;

Below is a list of download links available for this product. Several links are provided in the event that you experience poor download performance or connection timeouts.

NOTE: We recommend the use of an internet download manager such as GetRight, FlashGet or Internet Download Manager.

Single ZIP File

Extract all files to the same folder using WinZIP, WinRAR or 7Zip and run the executable.

FSX Installer

File size: 1,080,771,795 bytes MD5: 10cd5cd5bd796d6fef7ce000624ccd8c

global.jpgGlobal CDN 1: OrbxFTXNAW16100.zip

cloud.jpgCloud CDN: OrbxFTXNAW16100.zip

global.jpgGlobal CDN 2: OrbxFTXNAW16100.zip

usa.jpgUSA: OrbxFTXNAW16100.zip

de.jpgGermany: OrbxFTXNAW16100.zip

uk.jpgUK: OrbxFTXNAW16100.zip

au.jpgAustralia: OrbxFTXNAW16100.zip

sg.jpgSingapore: OrbxFTXNAW16100.zip

Prepar3D Installer

global.jpgGlobal CDN: OrbxFTXNAW16100P3D.zip

1,094,605,487 bytes MD5: 2262a133fde3a0f634be11af3663ab86

OK, I'll go and download it again, Ralf. I do use a download helper (FreeDownloadManager), but I didn't see any separate option. This is one part I don't have pics for, but I did download a second time. Maybe I really am b***** blind as a B***** bat! And in that case I shall eat more Crow than I've ever eaten!

Ralf - I owe you a beer or two. I have to talk to my doctor I guess. This has bugged the s*** out of me - and involving Adrian, JayKae and ED C. and I don't know how I could miss this. There are eight download sites for FSX, three of them being Canadian. Then at the bottom - there's one Global Canadian. - for P3D. Guess which one I picked - twice. I know that's the one because it's colored in mauve/purple, whereas the rest are all in blue.

Aaaargh! Cheesh: this sickens me. I have never felt so humiliated in all my life. 

Adrian, Jay, Ed - I'm so sorry for this stupidity. You have my sincere apologies. I cannot believe that I could be such an utter numbskull.

I guess I'm going to get hammered for a few days.  :banghead:

All the Best,

pj 

Don 't stress about it Paul. And Ralf, thanks for your hep on this one.

Considering that most of our installers are FSX/P3D, it is perfectly normal to assume that you would need just the one file.

There are some of the older ones when we were still evaluating our installers that have separate installers. Eventually these will be rolled into the one.

OK, I'll go and download it again, Ralf. I do use a download helper (FreeDownloadManager), but I didn't see any separate option. This is one part I don't have pics for, but I did download a second time. Maybe I really am b***** blind as a B***** bat! And in that case I shall eat more Crow than I've ever eaten!

Ralf - I owe you a beer or two. I have to talk to my doctor I guess. This has bugged the s*** out of me - and involving Adrian, JayKae and ED C. and I don't know how I could miss this. There are eight download sites for FSX, three of them being Canadian. Then at the bottom - there's one Global Canadian. - for P3D. Guess which one I picked - twice. I know that's the one because it's colored in mauve/purple, whereas the rest are all in blue.

Aaaargh! Cheesh: this sickens me. I have never felt so humiliated in all my life. 

Adrian, Jay, Ed - I'm so sorry for this stupidity. You have my sincere apologies. I cannot believe that I could be such an utter numbskull.

I guess I'm going to get hammered for a few days.  :banghead:

All the Best,

pj 

you are welcome,

and thank´s for your help with Dx10 ::)

cheers

ralf

Archived