Problem with an Airport way off

wings138

I live in Missoula, MT KMSO, and there is an airport MT49 that Microsoft got the GPS information way wrong, it's like 10 to 20 miles off.  Now normally, I wouldn't care, because I don't fly there.  But I started using FS Economy, and it uses some method of detecting the nearest airport.  Most of the time I come into KMSO it detects mt49.

Now, searching, both MS and Orbx have this airport in the wrong location, personally, I wouldn't care what you did with it, as in move it, delete it, nuke it, what ever.  I would like to find a way to get rid of it out of the Missoula scenery.  It belongs in Lolo as the reference implies.

Can you help me with either moving it or deleting it without affecting any other airport or the scenery please?

By the way, I'm a proud owner of Southern Alaska, Pacific Northwest, Northern and Central Rocky Mountain, AND I refer everyone I talk to Orbx to buy software.

Hi wings,

First off where "is" MT49?  Both OurAirports and FSX put it right next to KMSO and though I couldn't find it but had to add it there for lack of a better place.  The co-ord's  of the real location of MT49 would be appreciated and I will be glad to re-locate it (if possible).

Cheers, Neil

The FAA database has no results for a search for MT49.  Checked out "ourairports" site per Neil's post and it comes up with Missoula International airport and looks like it is referring to an old small runway crossing the main runway.  It refers to Ford's Airport as a name. 

Could this be the original Missoula airport?  My uncle learned to fly at Bob Johnson's flying school in the 1930's there and was a Northwest Airlines pilot until his death flying during the summer for Johnson's Flying Service dropping supplies into fire crews in a Travelair.  He had engine failure and crashed into a lake.

put simply, if you load FSX, with or without Orbx Northern Rocky Mountains, and look for MT49 (hint, it is in USA, Montana, Lolo), and load, you will find you load in a field near the KMSO airport.  The real location is in Lolo, the exact I don't know off hand, but can find out with time.

Personally, I would be happy to have it go away, its nothing more then a grass runway and I'm sure even those bush pilots that love to fly everywhere wouldn't miss it too much, as it's just a few miles from Missoula.

I did use Airport Design Editor 9x and found it in both default and in Orbx NRM scenery files.  I'm more worried about trying to delete it out of Orbx file as I wouldn't want to mess up my scenery or the ability to update.

Anyway, And Spud, that airport really isn't Missoula's old airport, as a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the Missoula airport used to be located in town,  I can't remember, but I think the KMSO airport has been there sense like the 50s or 40s or something like that.

It's just very frustrating when your add on program gets all confused because of a GPS error of 2007 (I think that is when MS FSX was released.  But really, it goes farther back then that, being I think it is in FS9, and maybe earlier versions.

Normally I wouldn't care, but FS Economy is a fun FREE add on that simulates passengers and cargo.  The real problems lies in when landing in Missoula, if it detects that your too close to MT49, it records that your there, not KMSO.  Then you have to restart FS Economy, take off, land, and hopefully you get recorded in KMSO again.  I think MT49 was someone's personal airport, kinda like Clinton, MT, nothing more then a grass runway.

Don't worry, I'll be contacting the people with FS Economy to see what they can do, as this is a problem for them too.

Hi again wings,

Yes, please send me the location in Lolo where the airport is located and I will move it there, or at least it's FSX marker (Lolo is outside NRM).  I looked Lolo up in GE and couldn't find the airport but as it's grass that's not surprising.

Cheers, Neil

Ok, I did some research.  It's very confusing.  If you goto www.aviationacres.com/montana.asp?CMD=AirportDetail&ID=10312 this will show you the Lat and Long of the airport, but here is the deal, now I live here and have a good understanding of the area, looking at google map, it's impossible to be where it says.  Google and bing maps show just a hanger.

46-55-24.7230N / 114-05-15.4050W on another page and the included google map shows a building.  (www.pilotoutlook.com/airport/montana/mt49)

It might have at some time been something, but for our needs in FSX, it's nothing we need.  Looking closer at areal views in google I can't see any place it could be any more.  why it's listed as Lolo, I don't know or the lat and long are the office???

Man I wish I had a better answer, but I can't find any indication in Lolo of a grass rwy either, so, if there is just a way like a small edit on my part or a patch on or end that would remove it, I'd be very happy.  Thanks.

We have the same situation close to where I live in northern Idaho.  The closest larger airfield I live by is KCOE.  Anyway, according to FSX and Google Earth, there is an airstrip WSW of KCOE (about 7.5nm) that is ID09.  Many years ago it was a private strip. It's just a large grassy field now.  I looked the airport identifier up at AOPA and with FAA, the identifier does not exist.  To me, it was just and eye sore as I'm flying in the area (in FSX) and I would see this airstrip going over a major road (which is there in real life). 

What I did to rid of it was create an exclude BGL with ADE.  If you would do that would FS Economy work?  I don't have FS Economy or I would try that.

Just my two cents.

Rod

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the only information about this for it's location, again is for just a building at KMSO.  Over the years they have done some little changes to the area, and even if it was on the other side of US Hwy 10 W, there is building and roads there now.  If anything, my guess is that it was suppose to refer to a grass runway in Lolo somewhere, but if you study either bing maps or google earth maps, you wont find anything that is clear.

The airstrip in Clinton (gravel) is very clear to see driving by, on both map systems and is find in FSX.  It just happens to be this one reference for some grass runway, and I have no idea where it was.

By the way, I'm the proud owner of almost all the North American scenery for FSX by Orbx, just want to say thanks for all that good that comes out.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the only information about this for it's location, again is for just a building at KMSO.  Over the years they have done some little changes to the area, and even if it was on the other side of US Hwy 10 W, there is building and roads there now.  If anything, my guess is that it was suppose to refer to a grass runway in Lolo somewhere, but if you study either bing maps or google earth maps, you wont find anything that is clear.

The airstrip in Clinton (gravel) is very clear to see driving by, on both map systems and is find in FSX.  It just happens to be this one reference for some grass runway, and I have no idea where it was.

By the way, I'm the proud owner of almost all the North American scenery for FSX by Orbx, just want to say thanks for all that good that comes out.

Wings138....

I'm originally from Opheim, MT.  Well, reason I mentioned it is that FSX places the Opheim airport (S00) about a mile north of where it's really at.  It's too bad as I like to fly back home every once in a while.  So, I created a new airport with ADE just for that purpose. 

I also found a KMSO scenery free addon at Hovercontrol , it's fully compatible with ORBX.  I think the file name is called ORBX_KSMO.ZIP.  I don't have it installed right now, but when I did it looked pretty good. 

I'll be coming through Missoula this Saturday (driving).....Hope the weather is fine to get over the passes.  I'll be checking out all the small airfields, like Clinton, on the way.  I'm heading to Sheridan, WY.  Then return home on Sunday.

Rod

That's cool.  I hope the weather holds for you as well.  The airport in Clinton is right off the freeway right before you get to Rock Creek Road, you can't miss it.

With FS Economy, it's got me flying a Dash 8 200 all over Montana, and nearby states, and for the last few days, it's been fantastic, very little weather or even strong winds.  I'm planning to spend more time doing these kinds of flights and so very pleased with the scenery.  Course having Missoula and other airports here to fly into looking better is always a bonus, I don't mind too much what they look like.  I was in Billings, Red Lodge, Bozeman and Missoula with flights this morning, just really loving the mountains, and stuff.

But like I've been going on about, having this one airport MT49 in Missoula, is a major problem.  If I knew how to just get rid of it, that would solve all my problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got all the scoop on MT49, this was never really an airport, AND when it was setup with the FAA (being it was some field that had a wind sock), the got the GPS coordinates really wrong.  It would be located on the north end of Lolo.  There is just a field there, personal property, not even official in anyway.  It's why it doesn't show up on any FAA maps or anything.  Anyway, it should be either removed or relocated.  Best location I can find using bing maps is about 46.779663, -144.89339.  That looks about the best possible location. 

An alternative would be to have the tools to remove this airport from my personal database if possible.

If this was just something that was causing problems but the info was right, it would be like fix it??  but it's not something that even exists any more, as of 10 years ago it was sold and is no longer used for an airstrip even by it's owner.

If you choose not to fix your scenery, please help me remove it from mine.  Thank you.

Archived