Seeking Better Graphics Card

Jarm

I currently have a Radeon HD 6770 (1GB GDDR5) running my system's graphics and while it does a very good job, I'm interested in raising the bar higher. The reason: I don't always get the smoothest frame rate in some areas (e.g., KWYS, KBVS). I'd also like to move sliders a bit more to the right (currently set as recommended by Orbs scenery guides). I've researched a couple of possibilities and tend to lean toward the MSI R7950 Twin Frozr Radeon HD 7950 Card (3GB, GDDR5 PCI-Express and equipped with 3.0(x16) for faster transmission of data).

My system is an HP Envy with FX-6120 CPU running at 3.5/4.1 frequency,10gb RAM, Radeon HD6770 graphics card and 550W Power Supply (no additional cooling). OS is Windows 8.

I've also researched possibilities of stepping up to a faster CPU for my motherboard, but don't find any convincing options without increasing wattage as in the AMD FX-8350.

Comments/suggestions much appreciated.

In this case as the 6770 isn't much of a gaming card at all, the smoothness and image quality will be night and say with a better videocard. It all really depends on how much $$ you're willing to spend. I'd suggest something similar to a GTX760 or AMD based R9 270X, your FSX would look and run much nicer.

Everything I read says go for the x80s and not the x60 or x70s even if it means going for a 680 rather than a 760 (according to the articles and testing). So a 780 is the better choice. Happy to be wrong but all the techno jargon articles suggests it the x80 that has the greatest ability, power, etc.

Maybe one of the more experienced can explain the reasoning behind if (or correct me if I am wrong).

As stated above the GPU is not the bottle neck in most systems for FSX. For FSX a 580 will most likely do.

If you consider, however, to take the step over to P3D 2.0 within the next year or so than the GPU is (as far as we know now) most important for a good experience. So buy as much GPU-power as you can possibly afford to. (see here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html)

And if that is a possibility for you: Wait until P3D 2.0 is out (they say "this year") and find out what GPUs likes (AMD vs. Nvidia). And most likely by then graphic cards will have seen another drop in prices as the battle between AMD and Nvidia continues (20 % in the last month!).

Also FSX/P3D 1.4 generally work better with Nvidia drivers, so simply switching from AMD to an equivalent Nvidia card might improve performance. Of course it's also possible that this won't be the case (or the roles will be reversed) when P3D 2.0 comes out.

In your situation, I would probably hold out until P3D 2.0 comes out, and see how things work out with the EULA, backwards compatibility, hardware requirements etc. If you don't want to wait, something like a GTX 760 should be a big improvement.

I recently moved from an nVidia GTS 250 1Gig to a GTX 770 4gig and noticed no increase in framerate in FSX. I was more concerned with other games but it really demonstrates what has been said, FSX is not GPU bound at all but CPU bound.

I recently moved from an nVidia GTS 250 1Gig to a GTX 770 4gig and noticed no increase in framerate in FSX. I was more concerned with other games but it really demonstrates what has been said, FSX is not GPU bound at all but CPU bound.

I like that info!

It's a pitty that it doesn't take more advantage of the GPU but then again, it was developped some 7 years ago?!

So a 780 is the better choice.

Of course a 780 is a better choice but it's also over twice the price of a 760.

There are thousands of AMD videocard users who have no problems with FSX, yeah yeah I've read the optimization guides and prefer Nvidia myself but a good AMD card will also run FSX very well. With P3D 2.0 not too far off, I'm sure a good card from either team will work VERY well.

I recently moved from a GTX580 to a 770 and the gains were rather nice in FSX and well before that was from a 250 to the 580 where the gains were also VERY nice, so I'm not sure what happened with your results.

A good GPU helps FSX run well but more importantly it's what makes the difference between a beautiful looking Sim and a very average or ugly one.

You can max out FSX + Goodies with the GTX680, no problem. Max settings around thick residential auto-gen, such as Los Angeles for example, will result in loss of frame rate, but overall it does the job with room to spare. I even tested my single 680 with 3 1920x1080 monitors, and it still ran smooth.

I think you can get into a 780 for the same (or close) price.

I think you can get into a 780 for the same (or close) price.

The same price as what? The 680 was replaced by the slightly faster 770 which is now approx $330. The 780's are still selling for $520+ USD.

When I run FSX with the GTX770, the GPU is rarely running over 50-60%. You aren't maxing out the 680, it's more that FSX wasn't designed to tax todays videocard. It really all comes down to what the OP is willing to spend though, that's why I suggested the GTX760 or R9 270X as a minimum.

I currently have a Radeon HD 6770 (1GB GDDR5) running my system's graphics and while it does a very good job, I'm interested in raising the bar higher. The reason: I don't always get the smoothest frame rate in some areas (e.g., KWYS, KBVS). I'd also like to move sliders a bit more to the right (currently set as recommended by Orbs scenery guides). I've researched a couple of possibilities and tend to lean toward the MSI R7950 Twin Frozr Radeon HD 7950 Card (3GB, GDDR5 PCI-Express and equipped with 3.0(x16) for faster transmission of data).

My system is an HP Envy with FX-6120 CPU running at 3.5/4.1 frequency,10gb RAM, Radeon HD6770 graphics card and 550W Power Supply (no additional cooling). OS is Windows 8.

I've also researched possibilities of stepping up to a faster CPU for my motherboard, but don't find any convincing options without increasing wattage as in the AMD FX-8350.

Comments/suggestions much appreciated.

You PSU is FAR too small IMHO to provide smooth filtered power to your PC given your current hardware I'd recommend no less than an 800 Watt unit especially if your contemplating upgrading to a ATI 7970 or equivalent card. GTX 680  or better would be good too.  I am a little concerner your pushing  a 2500K i5  to 4.8 Ghz  the junction temps in that CPU would be at breaking point I suspect, what are the actual core temp's ?

pushing  a 2500K i5  to 4.8 Ghz  the junction temps in that CPU would be at breaking point I suspect, what are the actual core temp's ?

I'm not actually sure these days, I haven't paid much attention to the temps in a couple years. Just checking now after 3 hours of BF4 and the max was 56c.

Same here when moving from a GTX 460 1GB to a GTX 670 2GB. Over complex scenery in FSX/P3D 1.x, you're completely CPU bound. The GPU itself has no problem pushing 30+ FPS, but the CPU isn't feeding it fast enough.

I run a 4770K @ 4.5 GHz and GTX 670 with a 450W PSU, absolutely no problems. However it's a high quality unit. Most cheap ~550W PSU's are really re-badged 300 - 400W units.

I'm not actually sure these days, I haven't paid much attention to the temps in a couple years. Just checking now after 3 hours of BF4 and the max was 56c.

I've learned one must thoroughly research the recommendations for GPU vs power supply.  Long ago when I purchased the Radeon HD6770, specs called for 450/500 watts.  I purchased a 550 watt high end power supply just to be on the safe side.  I've since found sources that recommend at least 600 watts.  I've been using this card/power supply combination for well over a year without problems...so far.  However, I have noticed (when monitoring CPU performance while running FSX connected on line) an abrupt "spike" in load every now and then.  I believe it's occurring when flying more complex aircraft, but need to check that out.  Hoping the load spike is not occurring due to inefficient power and a "hot" GPU.  Maybe someone can comment on this.

Archived