Problem installing old Regions

jimh20

Hi,

Following a re-install of Win7 64, and FSX, I've been using only EU/UK, plus FTXGlobal.

I've just installed, from stored downloads, AU Blue, Red, Gold, and Green, all SP3, followed by FTXXAUSP4.002.PATCH.

I'm getting this error message on accessing FTX Central:  Duplicate Landclass Index 14     Aborting FTX Central

I tried installing Libraries 130927 (this may not have been wise!)

I now have an error:  Terrain.cfg has no [Landclasses] section.

I'd appreciate some help as to how I fix this, especially before I install any of my NA stuff.

Thank You, Jim H.

Hi Wolter,

Thanks for the swift response.

I followed your link, checked the instructions, replaced terrain.cfg, and FSX would'nt start at all.  Tried replacing scenery.cfg, same result.

I've restored a fairly recent backup, so I'm back to installing my Australian Regions again. (Wish I could swop all my regions for one big Oz!)

I have four regions, all SP3.  When I've installed all four, is FTXAUSP4.OO2.PATCH accumulative?

I have three patches:  SP4, SP4.001, and SP4.002

Thanks again, Jim

Hi again, Wolter,

I did exactly as you said, got the No Landclasses error, replaced my terrain.cfg, error gone.

Set FTX Central to Australia, started FSX, initial screen appeared then vanished.

Tried FTX Central to Europe, same result.

FSX updates its scenery indexes, but after the initial screen, nothing.

I've used my Australian scenery for years, plus all my airports, but not after having FTX Europe installed (plus Global, although I expect Global is irrelevant in this situation).

There must be some method to add my older regions, or must I uninstall UK, and start again with Australia?

Regards, Jim

this is odd,

normal procedure would be to set FTX Central to Oceania, but when it's not installed default / global should have no influence

I'd proceed as follows:

give CCleaner a run for it's money and make sure all is cleared out also in the registry entries department, do not save the stuff when it asks for it

Set FTX Central to default / Global and hit Apply

install your AU regions

install the SP4.002

install the latest library files

fire up fsX

check if things look OK

shut down fsX

open FTX Central and switch to Oceania hit Apply and close

fire up fsX select an AU airport and check

that should / must do it, I can't think of another way to do it as that's the way we've been doing it all along

Hi Wolter,

I'd "forgotten" about Oceania.  I've got Australia in FTX Central right now.  Is this normal, when I haven't reinstalled NZ yet?

I'll follow your latest instructions later today.

Thanks, Jim

Hi Wolter,

I haven't followed your instructions exactly.

I've removed the regions from my FSX\Orbx\FTX_AU folder (I couldn't find a formal uninstaller)

I've removed their entries from my scenery.cfg

I've run Ccleaner, cleaned up my C:\, and scoured the registry.

I've installed the latest libraries, 130927, into FTX_AU

I've applied Global in FTX Central.

When I fire up FSX, it briefly does its scenery index thing, lingers in the opening screen, then vanishes just as before.

I applied Europe in FTX Central, but still no luck with FSX.

My thinking is, if I can't get FSX to start at this stage there is no point in starting another install of an AU Region.

I've now bit the bullet, and to be safe, have restored a matching backup of both my C drive and FSX drive.  I'm now back to square one with a working FSX, including Global, and UK.

You'll see from my sig. that there is a lot of Orbx I'd like to install safely!

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim,

not sure what's going on there at your end, has me a bit baffled, except FS Global any other 3rd party addons installed ? if so which.

as you seem to have the system restored to a previous state and have now a working fsX again

I'd start with disabling non FTX sceneries, FS Global you can leave active as that does not influence things

run the latest library files so that's up to par

make sure that you have Administrator rights and you run fsX as Administrator, right click, properties, compatibility, tick box "Run as Administrator" hit Apply, then select security, highlight your name as User hit Edit and make sure all "Allow" boxes are ticked, hit apply and OK

Also Exclude you main fsX folder from continuous scanning by your Anti Virus program, don't know which one you use as they can be a proverbial pain in the butt, the same applies for the fsX.exe as well

better would it be if you had your main fsX install on it's own drive or partition and not on C: as that gets filled with all daily stuff and messes up things pretty hefty.

Also advisable is to visit http://www.blackviper.com and disable all not needed crapola that runs havoc in the background

I get the impression that it is something you have up and running there that takes influence on your installers

your hardware couldn't be it as it's better as mine ;)

Hi Wolter,

First off, FSX has its own drive.

Fsx.exe already has full permissions.

I've excluded H drive, and fsx.exe from anti virus scanning.

I know about Black Viper, but with my limited expertise, I've run into trouble with it's recommendations before.

I use AlacrityPC to shut down as much as possible before FSX runs.

I've installed the latest libraries.

FSX runs well at this stage.  FSX is running with no ancillary addons.

I've disabled all non-FTX scenery.

After all the above, I installed only AU Blue SP3, followed by reinstalling the libraries.

FTX Central shows Global, Australia, and Europe.

Alacrity fires up FSX, which quickly disappears.

Regards, Jim

Update!

After yet another restore, I've installed the Iceland Demo.  FSX works perfectly, and Iceland is very impressive!

I downloaded and installed EGHA Compton Abbas.  FSX works perfectly.

Of course I've recently installed scenery from other vendors without difficulty.

I'm downloading a fresh copy of PNW, to try that next.

Hi Wolter,

I hope you are still interested in my problem?

I have now downloaded two fresh copies of sceneries from FSS:  EGHA for England, and PNW as an attempt to install a new region.

Both have been successful.  FTX Central shows three buttons:  Global, Europe, and North America.

This contrast with my struggles with AU, when FTX Central had an extra two buttons.

I've visited Compton Abbas, and Darrington, and all seems well with FSX.

Have you any ideas, as to how I can get Australia, in the same way?

Hopefully, Jim

Hi Jim,

I'd say set FTX Central to default/Global and install the Aussie sceneries starting with AU Blue first when done run the AU sp4.002 file and over the top the latest library file check that out first before installing anything else and no I haven't forgotten you, I'm just on the other side of the North Sea from you

Hi Wolter,

Thanks for your support.

To set out afresh my FSX situation.

I did an install of FSX into a new WD Caviar Black drive, followed by Orbx EU plus airfields, Global being added later.  I have installed a couple of addon aircraft, plus a couple of other sceneries also.  FSX is flying smoothly with no problems.

Win 7 64 and business software on their own drive.

As you already know, I install AU regions, starting with Blue, ending with Patch4.002, and FSX fails to start.

I restore my FSX drive.  I disable all other sceneries  Run AlacrityPC to minimise background stuff.  Download a fresh copy of AU Blue, install it, plus sp4.002, and once again FSX fails to start.

I decide to experiment:

FSX drive is once again restored.  FSX is ok.

I download a fresh copy of PNW, and install it.  FTX Central now shows Global, Europe, N. America.  FSX is ok!

I download a fresh copy of NZSO, and install it.  FTX Central shows an extra button - Oceania.  FSX is ok!!!

I download a fresh copy of AU Blue, and install it plus AUsp4.002, plus latest libraries.  FSX fails to start.  :-(

I deduce from all the above, that only the AU installers screw up my FSX.

I have no alternative right now.  I will have to do yet another restore of my FSX drive.  I can use Orbx Eu, NA, and NZ, or anyone else's scenery, but not Orbx AU.  I was foolish enough to buy the new Canberra Cityscape, but at the moment all my Australian stuff is uselss.  I am very frustrated indeed!

Jim

OK, other way around trip,

copy your working ORBX folder and save that to a different location

install the AU stuff + patches and updates then copy back the ORBX copy you saved followed by re-installing the latest libraries

I've informed the tech guru's to jump in as well as this is not encountered before in all the years

Can I clarify "copy your working ORBX folder and save that to a different location"

If I copy the Orbx folder (FSX\Orbx) to another location, I'm left with the original contents just as before.  If I then install AU stuff etc., I will be doing exactly as before.

Do you mean empty or cut and paste the Orbx folder, before installing AU regions?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but I don't want to mess up again if I can help it!  :-)

Edit:  Can I send you a private message?  Right now, I can't see how to.

Hi Jim,

exactly as said, copy and safe to another location, run the AU installers followed by their patches and make sure to run the latest library files last, fire up fsX it will probably be or working or makes a bow south, when that happens copy back the ORBX folder from the saved location and tell it to overwrite, most likely it should work then, and other option is as Martin just mentioned start with the AU sceneries first before installing anything else

Jim,

Have you ever tried to install AU as the first OrbX product into your freshly recovered FSX installation?

Thanks for the suggestion, but the restored version has Orbx EU complete already on it.  That maybe the problem!!!

For various reasons, I've reinstalled everything, three times in the past year.  All is running very smoothly, and I'll not do another reinstall if I can possibly help it.

Hi Jim,

exactly as said, copy and safe to another location, run the AU installers followed by their patches and make sure to run the latest library files last, fire up fsX it will probably be or working or makes a bow south, when that happens copy back the ORBX folder from the saved location and tell it to overwrite, most likely it should work then, and other option is as Martin just mentioned start with the AU sceneries first before installing anything else

Hi Wolter,

Well, that didn't work, and this time I've got the landclass error with FTX Central which I can't get rid of, although I did before by replacing Terrain.cfg.

1.  If I want to begin again with Orbx sceneries, how do I completely remove my EU stuff?

2.  Can any of your experts explain why only these old AU Regions cause this problem?

3.  I have something else I can try, but as a third party is involved, I don't want to say any more.  That's why I asked if I could send you a private message.

Now I'm off to restore FSX yet again!

Regards, Jim

if you start a fresh, then I can recommend the following order:

clean install :

fsX

SP1 + SP2 or Acceleration, make you settings for Controllers, Graphics, etc., etc.

test if all works OK

REX, UTX, FS Genesis, FS Global etc etc + their recommended patches and or updates

test if all works OK

AU regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

AU airports + all updates and patches

test if all works OK, possible need for installing latest library files

NA regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

NA airports + all updates and patches

NZ regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

NZ airports + all updates and patches

EU regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

EU airports + all updates and patches

set FTX Central to default

FTX Global, make sure to make a backup copy when prompted by the installer

run the latest library files

Hi Jay,

Thanks very much for all your help.  Alas, I'm back to square one!

After restoring my FSX drive again, I installed NZ South, really to give me an Oceania button in FTX Central.  FSX worked as before.

I then installed Australia SP4, set Central to Oceania, as for NZ, but this time FSX indexed its sceneries, paused for a few secs. and disappeared as before.  I switched Central to Global, but FSX still disappeared.

Hi Wolter,

Thanks for the details of a complete reinstall of FSX, plus addons.

Can I make my last question quite clear?  I have a working version of FSX with only Orbx UK installed (apart from Global).

Is there a way to Remove/Uninstall Orbx UK from my present setup, so that I can install Australia SP4 as my first Orbx product into my present FSX setup?

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim,

if you want to clear out the ORBX FTX UK scenery completely

Set FTX Central to default / Global

go to => ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX and delete the EU folder

go to => ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts and delete:

scenerylib_EU_ENG.cfg

scenerylib_EU_NIR.cfg

scenerylib_EU_SCO.cfg

scenerylib_EU_WLS.cfg

if you have any UK FTX airfields check for files that start with scenerylib_EU_XXXX.cfg as those should be deleted as well

when done in the same Scripts folder there is the FTXConfigurator.exe, right click and run as Administrator, you won't see anything happening as it is a silent program

now fire up fsX, you'll see that the Scenery Dbase will be rebuild, do a checkride to see the scenery is no longer present, 

close fsX

Check FTX Central the the EU entry is gone

close FTX Central and start re-install as stated in previous post

Good Luck ! fingers crossed for ya here !

Hi Wolter,

Followed instruction down to Check FTX Central.  EU button is still there!

I want to be really sure I'm starting Orbx from scratch, so can you suggest something, please?

Jim

Edit:  \Scripts has Custom.eu folder

\Scripts\FTX Central\Regions has europe.rgn, InsertEurope.png, terrain_EU.cfg, terrain_EU.lc

I've put these files in Temp Storage.  No EU in FTX Central now.

Installed Australia SP4.  FTX Central now has Australia.  Fired up FSX - no luck!

Installed the new Libraries.  Still no luck.

Looks like if I want FTX Australia, I'll need to start from scratch!  :-[  :-[

Thanks, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Adding a footnote to this thread:

I had one last try for Australia,before deciding to re-install.

I copied a saved FTX_AU folder back into FSX, and installed the sub folders manually into the scenery library, in exactly the same order.  As a workaround I could keep this scenery.cfg for flying in Oz.

I fired up FSX, and took off from Jandakot, to explore an area I'm very familiar with.  Every detail I could remember was there, except Roads!  Traffic was flowing along grassy strips, in all the right places, but no textures for roads.

I backed up my exhisting FSX drive, just in case, gritted my teeth, and began the procedure for a complete re-install.  The new installation has been following Wolter's plan.  I've now got Australia installed, patched, and with new libraries.

I can report  that Australia now has all its roads, in a fully operational FSX!

Take care over the order in which the Regions are installed, and all will be well.  If not, Beware!  I expect that warning only applies to myself!

Regards to all, Jim

Archived