Red Baron Returns - Perhaps

Penzoil3

icon14.png Red Baron & Damon Slye Return! Help it Happen

Those of you who are
really
old timers will remember the classic early 90s PC sim Red Baron. It followed Aces of the Pacific/Aces over Europe, and was fantastic fun, and also one of the first sims that had really authentic AI behavior. Red Baron II and Red Baron 3D followed with one of the best dynamic campaigns of its era.

Now the original creator, Damon Slye, is back with a Kickstarter to launch a new Red Baron! Check out the details here:

And you can get in for just $15!

Another friend mentioned that there's been some of the usual sim community defensiveness about a new sim coming in, with some of the more hardcore the Rise of Flight fans assuming the fact that Slye is focusing on entertainment as well as realism meaning it's an arcade game. Anyone who remembers the old Dynamix sims will know they were an a great mix of entertaining missions and (for the day) realistic environments and performance differences. (RB was one of the first games to properly do turns vs. boom-n-zoom properly -- and that was actually something that just "happened" because they'd coded the performance differences so accurately.)

I really think there's room in the market for a more classic sim approach in addition to the ultra-hardware-realism of what's out there right now. A sim that really focuses on capturing the
experience
of air combat in addition to just modeling performance and systems properly could do wonders for our genre.

So I hope you'll support Red Baron, and even more,
please
get the word out to your sim-playing friends, and even better, your lapsed sim-playing friends. The Kickstarter's a bit behind right now and really needs the support of the community. It's the price of taking someone to McDonalds with you -- and it's way better for your health!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting...but they seem to be revealing their apprehension as to whether "it'll fly".   Personally, I would not buy into it because I prefer the modern real world-ish sim flying like that we enjoy with FSX plus Orbx scenery. 

Why do you say that. It still looked active. I just pledged for Alpha access.

Allan

Because I got this from the developers...

Greetings Backers and Red Baron fans,

As some of you have noticed and mentioned, the Kickstarter for Red Baron hasn’t been quite as successful as we had hoped. We are a new to crowdfunding, and in turn the Red Baron campaign didn’t quite reach as many ears as we needed.

That being said, we are going to cancel the Kickstarter campaign… for now. We will still be moving forward with Red Baron with the plans to relaunch the campaign early next year.

In the next few months we will be honing our message and vision, along with improving Red Baron based on the feedback we received from all of you.

What we need you to do is help us grow awareness and community. If we want Red Baron to succeed then we need to get the word out. We will be doing our part, improving Red Baron, but we need your help as well. Please tell friends, invite others to one of our social platforms, share us, tweet us, whatever it is that you do, please do it!

We urge you to head over to Facebook or Twitter and give us a like or follow us so you can stay informed. Additionally we have a website with forums that we will maintain, a place for our community to grow, and a place where we the developers can hear directly from you guys. We are going to be posting developer blogs, design notes, and having frequent talks with you the community.

Finally, we want to thank all of you for your early support and incentivize all of you to get hooked into one of our social media platforms. At the end of November we will be marking down all of the people who have followed us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, or joined our forums. Everyone marked will be given alpha access to the game, as long as the tier you select during our next Kickstarter campaign contains a copy of the game.

Please help us spread the word about Red Baron over the next few months, and together we can build an amazing game. The Red Baron will fly again!

-Damon Slye and the Mad Otter team

Archived