Problem with FX central

normandean

This a re-post of a message I placed with another topic

I think I have either the same problem or something similar. I check my scenery.cfg file and there are no FTX entries present. I then run the FTX Central and change the selection to, shall we say, Oceania. (It happens with every region). In the scenery.cfg file I find that all the FTX regions that I have are loaded, NA and Oceania. I check the ORBX scenery.cfg backup file and there are no FTX entries there. In the Scenery\world\scenery folder all the FTX entries are suffixed .BGL.

Open the FTX central again and I select FTX Global, not hybrid. Now on looking at the scenery.cfg file I find that all the FTX regions are still there, and furthermore all the FTX regions are in the ORBX scenery.cfg backup file as well. In the scenery\world\scenery file all the FTX entries are set to .OFF.

I thought that it may be a problem that I have alone, so I checked with a friend who also uses FTX. He has the same ORBX products as I have but also the FTX eu as well. On checking his system he finds that he gets exactly the same result as I have.

I can't give you a date when this may have started, but it is something recent that has caused the problem, as I do check my system regularly. Recent purchases are SAK, FTX Global (and all the free add-on airports). I have also recently installed Juneau and Boseman Yellowstone. Latest library run after installing. My OS is Win 8,1, but my friend is still on Win 8, I have installed the latest library several times to no avail,

Help appreciated.

Norman

Hi Ed, yes apply pressed with not other options except the change of area. I have checked with two other people running Win 8, not 8.1, and they get the same result. However, there must be quite a number of people who are on Win 8 and haven't reported an error.

Norman

Hi Norman,

just checked with a couple of our testers and they report no issues.

As I am not familiar with W8, I only have these suggestions: have you disabled its User Account Control features as well as running FTX Central "As Administrator"?

I cannot understand why it allowed the cfg edit originally and it won't edit again.

Try grabbing the latest Orbxlibs 131027. That has the latest version of FTX Central.

Also, it is the regions that are staying in the cfg file when set to Global? The airports are meant to remain.

Hi Ed,

yes, it is the regions that are loading and staying in the scenery.cfg file. Basically there are two errors occurring here. The first is that all regions are loading into the scenery.cfg file and all alt files are being turned on in the world\scenery folder. The second is that although the backup scenery.cfg file, when created, does not contain the areas, when the global setting is selected both the back up and the scenery.cfg files contain the areas. In other words, when Global is selected the active scenery.cfg is copied to the backup instead of vice versa.

I will try the latest library again to see what happens and report back.

Norman

I have downloaded and installed lib 131027, made certain that FTX central short cut was pointing to the correct exe file and that it was being run as administrator. I also checked all the batch files to see that they were not corrupted, and then performed the following tests:

First I made sure that FTX Central was set to Global and then copied a pristine scenery.cfg file to the ProgramData\Microsoft\FTX folder. I then made sure that there was not a Scenery.cfg_orbx_backup.cfg file there. I ran the FTX central, selected a region, and checked the ProgramData folder again. In the Microsoft\FTX folder was a scenery.cfg file to which had been added all the FTX regions plus all the FTX airfields plus all the OZx folders. There was now present a Scenery.cfg_Orbx_backup.cfg folder which was a copy of my original scenery.cfg with no FTX additions.

Ran FTX central again and set it to Global and then examined my ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder again. The contents were a scenery.cfg file that contained all my original entries, plus the FTX airfields, plus the OZx folders. There was also now the ORBX backup file which now contained all of the original scenery cfg entries, plus all the FTX regions, plus all the FTX airfields, plus the OZx folders.

The difference this time, since running the latest library, was that the FTX areas had been removed from my scenery.cfg file on returning to the Global setting, but none of the airports nor the OZx entries had been removed

In the scenery\world\scenery folder all the FTX alt files were on when any FTX area was selected and all were off when Global was selected. From your post above I assume that that is correct, although, if memory serves me right, it used to only be the airports for the region in use that were turned on. However, not a bit issue for me.

If all the airports should be removed from the scenery.cfg file when returning to the Global setting, and I assume that is so over wise why have a backup file, then this is not happening. If, on the other hand, the airports and OZX entries are meant to remain then this means unnecessary loading of airport and scenery files when you are flying in a different area. I have 15 different scenery.cfg files for various areas of the globe in order to reduce both loading and access times, including three for the west coast of the USA but if they are all going to loaded with all the FTX areas and airports then that makes a nonsense of managing the scenery load.

Can I please have your thoughts on this?

Norman

Well at least the FTX Central is working as the regions are being de-activated with Global.

Now as to the airports remaining in the cfg with Global selected, I personally have not given much thought to it. Makes sense that they are only active in the Hybrid setting, so will ask if there's a reason behind it.

Just checked and that is the way FTX Central is meant to behave and make edits to the scenery cfg file.

The reason for keeping the airports active is for those that only have Global and airports installed can make use of the airports in conjunction with Global.

Thanks Ed, in the past I have been able to load an FTX area if I wanted, without changing the scenery.cfg to that area. I'll have to make sure my area scenery.cfg files remain pristine clean, except where I want FTX airfields. One thing, though, why bother to have a backup file, if it is changed to contain all the FTX airfields and areas and therefore couldn't be used to restore the original cfg file?

Many thanks.

Norman

Archived