FTX Region and Global textures, advice.

StormVR6

Hello all!

I understand how the settings work in FTX Central regarding region/hybrid/global mode, but what I want to ask is this:

If I'm flying around England, making the odd trip into mainland Europe, can I not simply have 'Europe' set in FTX Central to allow my EU ENG full fat region to fully work and then see the Global textures when flying into France? If Global overwrites all FSX default textures then surely I'll see the Global textures in France, even without 'FTX Global' chosen in FTX Central, won't I?

I presume the Global Hybrid setting is to allow me to fly from, for example, my full fat England to my full fat PNW, whilst flying over Global textures en route, yes? But if I'm only concerned about seeing my full fat England region - and the rest of the world in Global textures - then can I leave 'Europe' set in FTX Central?

The only potential issue I can see are elevations and vector lighting. 

Cheers.

Mark.

Hi Mark, the hybrid mode allows you to fly towards and from a region to another without switching in FTX central, but when you are outside a FTX region, the only way to display FTX Global textures there is to use the hybrid mode.

Selecting a specific region, for instance PNW, it's good when you plan to fly there a quite time, without to exit the region. In this way, not being in hybrid mode, you will have all the features that region provides.

By the other side, when you fly everywhere with FTX Global activated and not in hybrid mode, you will have all the features that FTX Global provides, in this mode all the FTX regions are deactivated, it's like you fly with a default FSX but with the FTX global textures.

I hope now it's more clear :)

Thanks for your reply, Maurizio, but I understand how FTX Central works in it's proper form. Sorry if I didn't make that clear at the beginning of my original post.

I was just wondering (due to Global overwriting default FSX textures) if the entire world textures can be viewed as Global textures, even if I have 'Europe' or 'Oceania' or 'North America' set in FTX Central. Apart from potentially not seeing the new Global lighting and possible elevation issues I don't see a problem with this idea. Hence my initial question.

Cheers 

That's pretty much how it will work. You'll see Global textures but with the EU lclookup and other files set you may see errors in the Global textures outside of the UK. Setting Global to "hybrid" should allow you to see everything in the UK fine and remove any errors in the Global area. 

Setting Global to "hybrid" should allow you to see everything in the UK fine and remove any errors in the Global area. 

Well if the hybrid mode in Global doesn't detract too much from the full fat regions then that is the best choice. I just thought I may have been able to have my cake and eat it when only flying in one region.

Cheers. 

Archived