How to recover

chumley

Until a couple of days ago I had a very stable FSX configuration.

Then to my horror Windows bombed out and I was forced to reinstall the operating system.

When I reinstalled the old Win7 installation was copied to a backup folder and the system was back up and running.

FSX and numerous other applications were all safely installed on drives other the one containing the operating system.

The question I have is - if I reinstall FSX which will give me the links in the registry can I simply copy my old installation over the top and activate other third party addons?

or is it possible to locate the old regedit file and drop it on top of the new thus restoring links to all my installations?

or do I have to suck it up and reinstall everything from scratch and next time have a clone of the OS (and other drives) ready for such and eventuality?

Regards

Andy b

Sorry - but need to bump this.

A further alternative I have thought about is to reload FSX with the same path as that used previously then swap folders.

Any comment from the plethora of gurus would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy b

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear of your woes, first disconnect all drives with exception of the C drive and re-install your image or fresh W7 and make sure to get all updates and patches for it BEFORE attempting anything else, once that's finished then reconnect your fsX drive and use the registry tool to restore your fsX entry.

done that multiple times and works a treat

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear of your woes, first disconnect all drives with exception of the C drive and re-install your image or fresh W7 and make sure to get all updates and patches for it BEFORE attempting anything else, once that's finished then reconnect your fsX drive and use the registry tool to restore your fsX entry.

done that multiple times and works a treat

Thanks Wolter - I will give it a go

Archived