New Global Landclass and Existing Orbx Areas?

boleyd

This may have been asked before but I can't find the info. Since the product is only partially available perhaps someone from Orbx can offer an answer.

I assume that the presently available regional products will be superior to the new Global product. This would be due to the manual selection and placement of landclass elements whereas the Global product relies on governmental and private landclass data. I also assume that the textures used in Global are much like the textures in the regional products. Of course, they are expanded in number/appearance to account for the variations across the world.  Finally, while it is commercially obvious, I doubt that the Global product would be at the quality level of the regional products but just wanted validate my assumptions.

It will be interesting to compare the Global product to the regional products.

There one other major thing to take into account -- vectors.  Road vectors and shorelines, rivers, lakes, etc.  FTX Global provides none of that (it is coming with FTX Vector).  So as good as the LC placement might be, with all the improved/expanded autogen and textures, there is still going to be that element that lets you know that you aren't in a full fat region.

Well, that and default airports - that is your biggest dropoff in quality right there.

Regions will always look better than Global and landclass. Part of the reason is that region landclass is handcrafted whereas the new Global landclass products are sourced from public/private data through an automated method.

Regions also contain POI, upgraded airports, and photoreal areas

Archived